• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Best holiday destinations

On the way back from Kassiopi, Corfu this evening. I'd recommend it to anybody looking for a seriously relaxing holiday on a bit of a budget. Superb food, ridiculously cheap beer and wine and the beaches are sensational. We've had a bit of rain as it's quite late in the season but it hasn't spoilt it at all. The thunderstorms have been a highlight themselves!

A distinct lack of shit karaoke bars too!

Without doubt the most impressive place I've been is Rio De Janiero, fantastic place, expensive tho. There's fantastic restaurants, they have the best steak I've ever had. Lots of things to do such as Sugar Loaf Mountain and Corcovado. The "unsafeness" of it that the media portray is complete bullshit tbh, walked back from the beach/bar to the hotel at 10/11/12 in the evening and absolutely no problems.

Got back at the weekend from a week in Rome with the Mrs. Up to this point, my favourite city break had been Barcelona - but I have to say Rome pushes it very, very close. It's absolutely beautiful with history everywhere you look. We had a tour of the Vatican and the Sistine Chapel which were completely breathtaking. Went in to the Colosseum (less the tour guide) and all of the other sites. I have to say in other European cities after dark they can become a little intimidating - but there was none of that. The Italians were extremely friendly and helpful - we saw no trouble anywhere. The food was a little hit or miss depending on where you end up, but we stumbled across a restuarant not far from the Trevi Fountain (which was about 100 yards from our hotel) called 'That's Amore', and it was absolutely fantastic - so much so that we went back there on our final night for a second time.

I would encourage anyone who hasn't visited Rome at least once in their lives to go because you won't regret it (and book a table in That's Amore). It wasn't any more expensive than other European cities I have visited (which include Barcelona, Berlin, Amsterdam, Paris etc) either.

Last edited:
We're going to Italy next summer. Brother-in-law just went ahead and booked a holiday cottage that sleeps 16 for two weeks in August. Staying amongst the vin yards of Asti. Closest big city is Turin. Can't bloody wait.

I went to Rome about 10 years ago and really enjoyed it. I'd love to go back. Like you, I love Barcelona too.

Thinking of doing Cancun next year, I know a few on here are fans of Mexico, any suggestions on good times to go and how much we can expect to pay?

Looking like we'll be off for a city break in Budapest at the end of November - looks lovely, plenty to do, affordable (as I'm on a very tight budget). I wanted a holiday in the sun but various plans have scuppered going anywhere remotely affordable at this time of year.

Anyone else been? Recommendations etc?

Well that's now out of the question - my boiler repair is going to cost about £300. Which I don't have. Bye bye trip.

Got back at the weekend from a week in Rome with the Mrs. Up to this point, my favourite city break had been Barcelona - but I have to say Rome pushes it very, very close. It's absolutely beautiful with history everywhere you look. We had a tour of the Vatican and the Sistine Chapel which were completely breathtaking. Went in to the Colosseum (less the tour guide) and all of the other sites. I have to say in other European cities after dark they can become a little intimidating - but there was none of that. The Italians were extremely friendly and helpful - we saw no trouble anywhere. The food was a little hit or miss depending on where you end up, but we stumbled across a restuarant not far from the Trevi Fountain (which was about 100 yards from our hotel) called 'That's Amore', and it was absolutely fantastic - so much so that we went back there on our final night for a second time.

I would encourage anyone who hasn't visited Rome at least once in their lives to go because you won't regret it (and book a table in That's Amore). It wasn't any more expensive than other European cities I have visited (which include Barcelona, Berlin, Amsterdam, Paris etc) either.

Rome is absolutely amazing - I thoroughly recommend crossing the Tiber and eating in the Trastevere area of the city. Because the food is nicer and far less expensive than the restaurants that are next to the big attractions. I'd go again in a heartbeat.

As I wrote about the Colosseum for my dissertation, it was quite cool to give a tour around a building I'd never been to before!

Some sort of resort with pool, a town with restaurants and bars nearby, beaches, activities etc
I'm told you get a lot for your money over there.

I would look at Playa Del Carmen myself matey. Town an hour south of Cancun. You wanting all inclusive? There's a small part called playacar where I stay five mins from town that has 13 or so hotels in a gated community

And you do. A lot for your money!!

Anybody been to New Zealand. Im currently on a two year saving exercise for my sisters 40th in 2017.

Go for a meal in Sir Lancelots. Brilliant place

Had my stag in Budapest...in January and my it was minus 15. So cold the river was frozen over.

My favourite city ever. I shall be going for the 5th time next year. I've been in Sir Lancelots every time since that wonderful stag weekend.

I would look at Playa Del Carmen myself matey. Town an hour south of Cancun. You wanting all inclusive? There's a small part called playacar where I stay five mins from town that has 13 or so hotels in a gated community

And you do. A lot for your money!!

Yep Playa is where to head.

Done Playa and Cancun and prefered the Playa area. Nice stroll from the hotels into the town, stepping over the 5ft lizards enjoying the sun on the way.
Go to Chizan Itza as well. I would recommend doing a proper guided tour of that so you can fully appreciate the place.

Such a relaxed place and uber friendly locals. Evan had one local act as a tour guide as we used the local bus to get to the Atlante game and we sat there looking utterly confused at the crappy map we had.

My favourite city ever. I shall be going for the 5th time next year. I've been in Sir Lancelots every time since that wonderful stag weekend.

I will return. Almost booked it twice but other things requiring money came up. Want to properly explore the place rather than freeze my ass off looking for pubs

Yep Playa is where to head.

Done Playa and Cancun and prefered the Playa area. Nice stroll from the hotels into the town, stepping over the 5ft lizards enjoying the sun on the way.
Go to Chizan Itza as well. I would recommend doing a proper guided tour of that so you can fully appreciate the place.

Such a relaxed place and uber friendly locals. Evan had one local act as a tour guide as we used the local bus to get to the Atlante game and we sat there looking utterly confused at the crappy map we had.

Completely right. Cheap to drink there too and plenty of none all inclusive options there
A dance music Mecca at times too, I believe Guetta lives there.

Give it ten years and it will be as well known as Cancun. As it is now I'd happily live in Playa

There isn't much difference in cost going AI or just having room, so makes sense to go AI as you will more than drink the difference in cost anyway.

Im guessing DDW will be hitting Senor Frogs. I'm too old for that shit though

I think he will be more into Blue Parrot and La Santanera

Depends whether he wants a town based holiday with beaches or ai with the escape of a town

Rome is a wonderful place, but Florence is on a par for me. The food and wine is better too.

Well that's now out of the question - my boiler repair is going to cost about £300. Which I don't have. Bye bye trip.
Sorry to hear that. Hoepfully you'll get round to going later in the year?

Back