• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Bolton 2-1 Wolves: VERDICT THREAD

I hope the media ask Kenny why he has moved completely away from the player selection and pattern of play that served him so well last season because its difficult to understand what he's trying to do.

I think he's a victim of his own success from last season where expectations have been rightly raised to expect us to get in the to six.
His decision making this season has been mind boggling, changing keepers, formation and playing players out of position to accommodate others.
By the time he sorts things out and realises his best formation abets starting 11 it'll probably be to late.

Not just on here, but other forums are starting to ask questions about KJ. I hope we do not have people calling for his head, as I think he will turn things around. The season is, after all, still very young.

I hope the media ask Kenny why he has moved completely away from the player selection and pattern of play that served him so well last season because its difficult to understand what he's trying to do.

It's startling to see how quickly we've moved from an exciting counter attacking team to average Championship plodders. I've no idea where the 'good football' and 'link play' that Ken was talking about in his interview was yesterday. We were just knocking it long and hoping that it fell for us. We didn't control the game at all, we might've had more possession but that was because Bolton backed off us trying to pick up their first win of the season.

Not just on here, but other forums are starting to ask questions about KJ. I hope we do not have people calling for his head, as I think he will turn things around. The season is, after all, still very young.

Ken has a track record of being able to quickly turn a bad run around. Unfortunately, I don't think that we've got the right mix of players in our squad to do that this time.

I would hope our fuckwit of a Head of Football (or whatever he's called) and bumbling CEO have a plan for the manager not turning it round in the next 4/5 games, especially if KJ is persisting with this nonsense diamond formation which no team ever has had success with.

I wonder if the pressure is starting to get to KJ

It is a work in progress. Unfortunately football fans have little, or no patience, myself included.

I am all for "the project", but I would like the messages coming out of the club to be more clear. At the moment, the general feeling I get from Wolves is one of disarray, be it player contracts, or players mysteriously dropped after playing all season, to POTS and captains being sold to inferior clubs, to inconsistent and baffling decisions from the manager.

Because of this lack of clarity, the likes of Thelwell get stick purely because no one is quite sure where the accoutability lies.

I do however feel that there's a lot of fans with agendas and pre-conceived opinions which cloud their judgement and opinion, eg Edwards.

I'm not for change yet, but I would like said clarity.

I know roughly what Thelwell has responsibility for as I've worked particularly on that side of football.

The backroom staff and recruitment are a mess and that is his responsibility, that I do know. For that and that alone he should be under pressure, anybody else would expect to be in any job.

Well this is an odd one - we lost to fucking Notlob. The team I hate and despise above all others. A result that would normally have me in a mega sulk. Yet at full time, I merely thought 'meh', and got on with things. I can't feel too pissed off, and had to close Twitter during the game because it seems that Richard Stearman has become Maldini in the space of a few weeks.

I'm REALLY looking forward to going next Saturday - I always look forward to a matchday - but I can't remember being so disillusioned with results and the various picking of holes in every mistake, every line up, every goal, every result, every word in the media etc. I'm noticing it far more this season, although I doubt it's as bad as it's ever been.

Calling for the manager's head - fortunately not seen on here yet - is an absolute nonsense. Clearly some things aren't working but I can't understand or relate to the crass impatience that manifests itself in so many aspects of the game at the moment.

Very odd feeling at the moment - but roll on Saturday!

I know roughly what Thelwell has responsibility for as I've worked particularly on that side of football.

The backroom staff and recruitment are a mess and that is his responsibility, that I do know. For that and that alone he should be under pressure, anybody else would expect to be in any job.

In what capacity Johnny?

I also think that the role Thelwell does may differ to other DOFs

I also think that a role like Thelwell's isn't one that you change - the whole point is continuity.

Well this is an odd one - we lost to fucking Notlob. The team I hate and despise above all others. A result that would normally have me in a mega sulk. Yet at full time, I merely thought 'meh', and got on with things. I can't feel too pissed off, and had to close Twitter during the game because it seems that Richard Stearman has become Maldini in the space of a few weeks.

I'm REALLY looking forward to going next Saturday - I always look forward to a matchday - but I can't remember being so disillusioned with results and the various picking of holes in every mistake, every line up, every goal, every result, every word in the media etc. I'm noticing it far more this season, although I doubt it's as bad as it's ever been.

Calling for the manager's head - fortunately not seen on here yet - is an absolute nonsense. Clearly some things aren't working but I can't understand or relate to the crass impatience that manifests itself in so many aspects of the game at the moment.

I don't feel the bit in bold is fair at all. He was our best centre back, last seasons POTS, a player who a lot of fans felt a connection to and selling him was so obviously a mistake given the state of our back 4 currently. You can't blame people for moaning about it.

I haven't seen/heard anyone calling for KJ's head yet and hope I don't for a long time but he's got a number of big decisions wrong and it's only fair to expect criticism.

I'm also looking forward to Saturday, the day more than the match. If we lose again the atmosphere will turn and at the very least there will be fairly loud booing at the final whistle.

In what capacity Johnny?

First team scout mainly, reporting to a variety of different personnel at different clubs (chief scout, asst manager, manager)

I also think that the role Thelwell does may differ to other DOFs

I'm not sure on his other activities but I do know the backroom appointments and scouting is his domain, although the current appointment looks as far removed from a Thelwell person as I could think of, and more of a KJ person. If there is division between KJ and the recruitment policy then he should have fixed it. Our recruitment has been poor for his tenure IMO.

I also think that a role like Thelwell's isn't one that you change - the whole point is continuity.

Nobody should be untouchable, don't perform and go and get somebody who does. Soton is a good case in point as is Spurs.

I don't feel the bit in bold is fair at all. He was our best centre back, last seasons POTS, a player who a lot of fans felt a connection to and selling him was so obviously a mistake given the state of our back 4 currently. You can't blame people for moaning about it.

I haven't seen/heard anyone calling for KJ's head yet and hope I don't for a long time but he's got a number of big decisions wrong and it's only fair to expect criticism.

I'm also looking forward to Saturday, the day more than the match. If we lose again the atmosphere will turn and at the very least there will be fairly loud booing at the final whistle.

Stearman was deservedly our POTS and hands down our best defender by a mile. He isn't Maldini. He was however vitally important to us, and is therefore a huge loss.

I don't have an issue with people disagreeing with the decision to sell him. I do object to the fucking bullshit moaning about everything the club do - every mistake EEL or Hause make is met with a 'Stearman would have cleared that' spouted by the same 'fans' who said Stearman was a liability and not good enough mere months ago. 95% of it is moaning for the sake of moaning - it isn't constructive criticism, it's tiresome bollocks. Stearman was still part of the defence that looked leaky a few games ago. That seems to have been conveniently forgotten. Whether he was our best defender or not is open for debate - he's a good Championship defender who did well for us - but he's gone, we got a good price for him and we move on.

I guess I'm totally fed up of the bores on Twitter who demand everything, think the club isn't treating them like fans but moaning like childish 'customers'. It's ruining any kind of debate - to the point that I simply don't bother on there any more. It's the best place to follow the games but the tweets from the club/Tim II etc are interrupted by swathes of attention seeking BS.

It's no doubt my mindset that's changed and it may have always been this bad, but I can't bring myself to be that wound up about it all anymore. I'm just disillusioned with it I think.

Thats a good match summary Bear, thanks for not over-reacting and Langers I completely agree with you. This experimental formation just isn't working at the moment and I think we need to return to last seasons because at the moment confidence is completely shot and it appears we don't have the players to play the diamond, it reminds of Solbakkens time when he kept asking players to play a certain way when they just didn't have it in them. If we return to 4-5-1 (or what ever you want to call it) we'll be be ok, we still have a good enough squad to challenge for top 6, obviously we miss Sako but we just have to get on with it, Ojo/Wallace/Henry/Byrne may not be in his class but surely between them good enough to compete at this level.

Am grateful to everyone for their contributions to the matchday thread - had to catch up on first half on the way home from a conference, although at one point I thought we'd gone 3-0 down before half time, the way some of the comments had fired across each other.

So, there's a combination of getting back to what has been my opinion on various players for a long time, and what we seemed to have found in yesterday's game, and others from this season so far. This may make some people break some crockery, but it's just me trying to take the rose-tinted spectacles off, comparing recent form (the last couple of seasons) with what was long held by myself. Here goes, tin hat now firmly on...

STEARMAN - As most will recall, for every handful of good decisions/actions from him, there was always a shocker of an error, most times punished, which tended to eradicate his overall value to the team. Wasn't he stalling on a new contract? In any other season but this (due to the last couple of years of form), a package worth something like £2.5 Million would have had a lot of us driving him to his new club's training ground! I have no doubt he was sold due to the expectation of a replacement coming in. It's still not too late for that, with the emergency loan window which we've played so well in the past. Overall, selling his was the RIGHT decision, but as Brian Clough once said, never sell a key player until you are sure you have someone better coming in...

EDWARDS - Again, another player where you have to look at the overall value to the team - positives versus negatives. For every goal, there's a handful of scuffed chances, or losing the ball when he never should, or not passing when he should, in other words general bad decision making. Having a player imitate the Tasmanian Devil is one thing, provided he's sweeping away everything in front of him - Edwards does not. All the time he has been at Wolves, I have been depressed every time he is on the team sheet - either as a starter or a sub. And now he has become a KJ Untouchable - no matter how badly he does, if he's fit he starts. Mick McCarthy used to get stick for having a handful of such untouchables, yet KJ will drop others who don't cut it in a particular game.

MCDONALD - Another one who has somehow escaped the wrath of KJ, who weeded out the (other) mercenaries at the start of his Wolves tenure. He should have been sold when he started his sulk, and we have more cover in central midfield than we do in defence to have been able to do so. I don't think the majority of fans would have had a problem with getting rid of another "Head's Gone".

IKEME - I recall the time when having him in goal set alarm bells ringing. I think we're just about seeing Martinez getting settled, and remaining as first choice. What are the odds that Ikeme might be gone in January? Certainly, I think we can do better, and WILL do so in the long term.

DOHERTY - Iorfa is rightly first choice. KJ has said so. Explanations as to why Doherty gets anywhere near the team need to be revealed, especially as Iorfa's fitness for yesterday has not been questioned. Doherty is not part of a Wolves Premier Division future, but who on Earth would take him off our hands?

GOLBOURNE - Good games, bad games. Can we afford the luxury of players who are so inconsistent, and how much does he rely on having a mobile and fast left winger in front of him? Of all the players, he seems to be the one who misses Sako the most.

HENRY - Looks like he is now consigned to be an impact sub, at best. Ah well, have always thought he brings a lot to the team, but another who crumbles on consistency.

PRICE - No question. When he's fit he starts. He doesn't make goals, he stops us conceding. Every team needs a midfielder with this as their brief.

EEL - Didn't he have a good but short run in the side as Right Back? Scored a cracker of a goal from there? Swap Iorfa and him over, perchance?

HAUSE - We keep talking about giving players a run in the side. It appears from all reports that Hause is gradually clawing up the form ladder?

Anyhow, that's the view from my bunker. A couple of emergency loans put in place in the next couple of weeks might give us the backbone needed to make all of this a distant memory... ?

I don't have an issue with people disagreeing with the decision to sell him. I do object to the fucking bullshit moaning about everything the club do - every mistake EEL or Hause make is met with a 'Stearman would have cleared that' spouted by the same 'fans' who said Stearman was a liability and not good enough mere months ago. 95% of it is moaning for the sake of moaning - it isn't constructive criticism, it's tiresome bollocks. Stearman was still part of the defence that looked leaky a few games ago. That seems to have been conveniently forgotten. Whether he was our best defender or not is open for debate - he's a good Championship defender who did well for us - but he's gone, we got a good price for him and we move on.

I guess I'm totally fed up of the bores on Twitter who demand everything, think the club isn't treating them like fans but moaning like childish 'customers'. It's ruining any kind of debate - to the point that I simply don't bother on there any more. It's the best place to follow the games but the tweets from the club/Tim II etc are interrupted by swathes of attention seeking BS.

It's no doubt my mindset that's changed and it may have always been this bad, but I can't bring myself to be that wound up about it all anymore. I'm just disillusioned with it I think.

I have to agree. I'm annoyed at him being sold much like Lycan, Quirk etc but I had mates telling me how they saw and heard fans blaming Stearman for giving the penalty away versus Hull(!), he was a total pariah for a section of support and every time there was a defensive error they would blame or link the blame to Stears, even after winning FPOTY and POTY fans were calling for him to be replaced and him being the weak link. That same section are the ones now making the most noise about him being sold. I don't read the Twatter posts but the Facebook ones are cringeworthy. Big Sam this, Big Sam that.

I would question anybody's judgement if they want that fat headed crook as a manager.

Even if there was a position available which there isn't we wouldn't go for Allardyce and even if we did he wouldn't come. Our ethos of spending what we bring in and developing youngsters through the Academy is the total opposite to his signing of experienced/over the hill players and launching the ball at a targetman

Just watched our 2nd penalty shout on Wolves Player - Never a penalty.

It was another Hause misjudgement from a long ball which let Madine in on goal at the end too. How anyone can rate him over EEL is beyond me.

Back