• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Bolton 2-1 Wolves: VERDICT THREAD

I'd like to see Jackett settle on a goalkeeper. Either go with Martinez or Ikeme - don't keep swapping them about.

Agreed, everything was pointing to Martinez being a very good prospect before his fuck up, I'd like to see him have an extended run.

I'd like to see Jackett settle on a goalkeeper. Either go with Martinez or Ikeme - don't keep swapping them about.

I'd also like to see Dom Iorfa back in the team ahead of Doherty. I don't dislike Doherty (like a number of others), I just think Iorfa is a better player.

We have to be patient with EEL + Hause. They're still learning their trade and are playing their first full season at this level. There will be mistakes and I'm fine with that; but the big issue I have is it highlights what a stupid decision it was to let Stears go. If one of the younger lads has a poor patch and becomes a bit of a scapegoat (not likely while Dave Edwards is in the team), then you need the experience of Stears. We've got Danny Batth coming back shortly and he will definitely improve us - but we shouldn't forget that it wasn't long ago a number of members of this (and other) forums were advocating us getting rid of him too.

Further forward, it seems Edwards is creating more issues than he's solving. Afobe needs to play up top (not sure where that leaves ALF) and IMO, it's Wallace who should be playing in behind him. Wallace doesn't have the pace to be an out and out winger - and while you're playing James Henry on one wing, you shouldn't be playing Wallace on the other - neither are quick enough and we'll be very easy to play against. Ojo doesn't seem to have settled at all and is very raw, so the logical choice is to play Byrne - which isn't ideal either considering the lad has never played at this level.

Kenny has the players there to make a good fist of it in this division - he needs to stumble across a formula that works sooner rather than later because the early signs are already there of some fans getting their daggers out.

I agree with all this. All I would add is most of it was damn obvious a number of weeks ago, some particularly around the formation from pre season

Agreed, everything was pointing to Martinez being a very good prospect before his fuck up, I'd like to see him have an extended run.

Sounds like he played well on Saturday so presumably it's now his shirt to lose?

Really? That easy?!

All he had to do was put it either side of the defender on the line. The angle wasn't as narrow as it looked on the highlights. He could've even taken a touch to take it away from the guy behind him. If the chance looks tricky it's because Edwards is making it look harder than it really is by falling on his arse just as he shoots. Again.

Sounds like he played well on Saturday so presumably it's now his shirt to lose?

Yep. Martinez should keep the shirt, didn't do anything wrong on Sat so stick with him.

All of our players are missing chances every game. It's not Edwards' job to be a goalscorer, he just chips in with a few.

I thought that was his job? that and "running around a lot", as he doesnt create chances, doesnt keep possession, recycle the ball quickly to aid the speed of counter attack and he's not great defensively.

I thought that was his job? that and "running around a lot", as he doesnt create chances, doesnt keep possession, recycle the ball quickly to aid the speed of counter attack and he's not great defensively.

...but apart from that, he's fine

Edwards can score goals but it kind of feels that that's teh only thing he can do if that makes sense, going off what everyone says. When he isn't scoring goals he isn't really doing anything right?

Don't agree at all and more importantly I know KJ doesn't agree with that. Every time he's been asked about our attacking options this season he's talked mainly about Afobe, Dicko, Alfie & Edwards. He expects Edwards to do a lot more than just 'chip in with a few'.

Before this season I was a big fan of Dave Edwards and what he brought to the team. Obviously has his limitations but a very useful player to have in our squad, a positive influence on our dressing room and a great ambassador for the club. Last season was unquestionably his best season in a Wolves shirt. We seemed to have found a good balance for him, he was playing mainly in his best (only) position and chipped in with some very important goals but we weren't relying on him as a key first team player.

Unfortunately, he's gone from that to playing every single minute of the season so far and not one second of it in the only position he's ever shown any kind of form in. This run of games has proven to me that he can't ever be more than a bit part player at this level. He can't be relied upon to convert chances, doesn't create any himself, his defensive work is negligible at best and even when he does have a decent game his inclusion is to the overall detriment of the team. Then he has games like Saturday when he just can't get anywhere near the ball and has absolutely no influence on the play.

As a substitute/squad member brilliant. As the main man? Nope, not for me.
A great post that sums up the Edwards situation perfectly.

And I fail to see any 'anger' directed towards him here, as someone bizarrely stated. It is Jackett's fault for continually picking him, though.

Indeed, there is no scapegoating, no hate, all along all people have said is why Edwards is unfit for purpose. But people buried their heads in the sand and pretended he was ok.

He'll get dropped soon enough, he'll come back in the team, he'll score a goal and Binary Bingo will commence again, you can't drop him, he scored.

Back