• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Boris at it again and the contest to replace the lying c***

Tories also still think the economy works exactly as it did in 1985*, so they think the rest of the world should be the same too.

(*Spoiler: It doesn't)

Same thing happened last year, a big push from Tories to get people back in offices, but without any obvious logical reason other than the value of office spaces falling through the floor in the cities. I guess there are some pretty powerful people that own those buildings though!
You know that for a fact

A lot of London property is owned by large investment firms. I believe it's one of the main reasons pensions took a hit last year

The part of your post I quoted that people were sent back into offices just to stop the office prices collapsing ?

A lot is also owned by Russian Tory party donors too.

You believe or you know ?
Depends how much evidence you want. I don't work in commercial finance so I can't know for certain. I have read it though and believe what I have read. Why would someone have a reason to lie about pension firms investing in commercial property? What have they to gain from that lie?

Duke of Westminster owns half of central London and makes a tidy sum charging businesses astronomical rents. If people don't need to physically be in London anymore the consequences for landlords are self explanatory. They won't just allow it to happen.

It’s too late, they can moan whine and do whatever they want but the era of big offices full of people 5 days a week has gone.

A talentless lunatic who is £130k richer due to being given Government grants supported by the man she was shagging

Wasn't the push to get people back in offices to boost other industries, and thus tax revenue, as much, if not more so, than protecting commercial property/rental values?

If someone works at home they're not really likely to do a lot else with their day are they? They'll eat something that's at home, maybe go for a bit of exercise if time allows. If you send them back to the office you've got far more chance of them buying lunch from somewhere, they'll pay for fuel or public transport.

You take away that regular congregation of people then a lot of other things fall by the wayside too.

Wasn't the push to get people back in offices to boost other industries, and thus tax revenue, as much, if not more so, than protecting commercial property/rental values?

If someone works at home they're not really likely to do a lot else with their day are they? They'll eat something that's at home, maybe go for a bit of exercise if time allows. If you send them back to the office you've got far more chance of them buying lunch from somewhere, they'll pay for fuel or public transport.

You take away that regular congregation of people then a lot of other things fall by the wayside too.
7% reduction in carbon emissions last year.

Things evolve don't they, rather than buying a coffee every day on the way to work, they buy a coffee machine at home, rather than spending money on fuel, they spend it on the hobby that they now have extra spare time for because of their lack of commute.

People will still spend money, just in different ways.

Things evolve don't they, rather than buying a coffee every day on the way to work, they buy a coffee machine at home, rather than spending money on fuel, they spend it on the hobby that they now have extra spare time for because of their lack of commute.

People will still spend money, just in different ways.

Yes, they evolve, that's generally a slow process where things have time to adapt. 90% of offices suddenly becoming deserted isn't evolution though is it, it's akin to something being wiped out overnight when the first lockdown came in.

If things just carried on with the new normal from that point then there is going to be a long period of economic pain whilst things change to suit. That's why the government tried to push back, there wasn't anything there to plug the gap of what had disappeared at such short notice.

Things aren't going to stay this way indefinitely, come summer plenty of businesses will revert back to what they did before, some will continue with what they now have in place and some will find a middle ground. Over time it might still come towards more WFH and, as you say, other bits of the economy can grow to plug the gap but it needs to be more gradual than the last 12 months to avoid a bit hole somewhere.

Back