• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Boro 2 v Wolves 1 - verdict thred

I was looking at how Crystal Palace often bypass central midfield and knock it long into Glenn Murray or how Man Utd use the longer ball into Fellaini.
Then have fast players moving onto the second ball.
You can have a target man that roams rather than stand up top alongside a centre back. Surely Wolves need to create variation going forward rather than continuously playing short through Price and McDonald.

I'm a big fan of that approach but I don't think Wolves have the midfield to make it work at present, none of them seem to make those sort of runs upto and beyond a forward that would enable such a system to be effective.

I suppose from Wolves point of view you could set it up more like a 433 to cut down on the number of positions you need to strengthen. Get a forward who's comfortable playing that way with his back to goal for majority of the time and you've already got two more mobile players to go either side in Dicko and Afobe, RVLP would then come into play as back up for those pair. You've still got your 3 man central midfield too so you've should still chances for the likes of Evans, McDonald and Price to impact games if someone more mobile and forward thinking comes in to play between the midfield and forward 3s, suppose that'd sort of be your Dave Edwards upgrade that everyone already wants anyway.

Jesus wept - the defending for those two goals is atrocious.

Some superb ball watching from Batth on the first, just drawn in as soon as Stearman makes the first mistake and completely oblivious to anything else that's going on.

Hause doesn't look particularly agile on the 2nd either, then just goes on a little wander to try and get the ball back, like a terrier in the garden.

Hause was a bit crossed up for the second (it happens) and nobody doing much in the centre to prevent the shot.
First is just "schoolboy error"........don't let it bounce

What did anyone think of Iorfa's performance? I think he did pretty well overall, can't remember him making any howlers, was difficult to beat - in fact can't remember anyone beating him one on one, but when he went forward his final ball was lacking - although a couple of his low crosses resulted in corners. The reason I ask is that a bloke (admittedly quite drunk) near to me gave him some abuse for marking their players at short corners (some of the abuse had racial overtones), and also on a Boro forum I looked at they were giving him some stick saying our number 33 was the worst full back they'd ever seen. Just wondered if I had my rose tinted spectacles on!

What did anyone think of Iorfa's performance? I think he did pretty well overall, can't remember him making any howlers, was difficult to beat - in fact can't remember anyone beating him one on one, but when he went forward his final ball was lacking - although a couple of his low crosses resulted in corners. The reason I ask is that a bloke (admittedly quite drunk) near to me gave him some abuse for marking their players at short corners (some of the abuse had racial overtones), and also on a Boro forum I looked at they were giving him some stick saying our number 33 was the worst full back they'd ever seen. Just wondered if I had my rose tinted spectacles on!

Nope. Iorfa did just fine. At no stage was he turned inside out like their right back was by Sako and Golbourne!

Rajiv's chance in the second half...... It seemed easier to score. He needs to be lacing that straight and hard so it won't matter who gets in the way, it's going in. He seemed to side foot it, good technique if you're outside the 6 yard box but not when you're a few feet out, he's kept his eye on it all the way, he just needs to smash that on his lace and it's in.

It's not because he side footed that he missed though? He's more likely to miss lacing it.

Highlights this issues around radio commentary though. Whilst I was listening last night, they made it sound a lot worse than it was in that video.

Not the best game he'll ever have but he wasn't bad. They probably mistook Hause (30) for Iorfa (33).

This stuff about Iorfa's crossing confuses me though. Scott Golbourne's final ball leaves a lot to be desired but nobody harps on about his inability to whip a Beckham-esque cross right onto Afobe's head, he contributes to our attack in different ways. The way Iorfa runs at his opposite number and cuts inside causes havoc.

Iorfa was fine last night. One of the few players to come out of the game with much credit. He wasn't at his best but then he had no help from anyone around him for the majority of the game!

Saturday's game is now 'do or die'. I found listening to last night's match frustrating, as we cannot create chances and score freely, despite having two decent strikers. I hardly heard McDonald's and Price's names mentioned, at all and the early capitulation almost sealed it from the start. November aside, we have had a decent season and we have some good prospects in our younger players. I would have been happy to have finished in the top ten, when the season began but, having been top, briefly and having been within sniffing distance of the play-offs, it is frustrating to be where we are now. No, we are not ready for the Premier League, but neither are 'Boro et al. There is a chasm between the two leagues and, were we to gain promotion, unless we spend a fortune, we would get hammered, consistently. Once Sako scored and 'Boro retreated, if we had been good enough we would have gone on to equalise, but we didn't and now Ipswich stand between us and a possible play-off place. It's not the end of the world if we lose on Saturday but it will feel like it.

Ikeme - 5 - Really poor goalkeeping for the first goal IMO, shouldn't be rushing out like that. Apart from that he was ok. Couldn't do much about their 2nd and didn't have a massive amount to do apart from that. Boro were all over us but they're not the type of side to whip crosses into the box and every chance they had either hit the bar and flashed just wide/over.

Iorfa - 5.5 - Boro's front four of Bamford, Vossen, Tomlin and Adomah is a different type of test to anything Iorfa has come up against before and I think he struggled with his positioning at times. Luckily he's such a fantastic athlete that, unlike the central defenders inside him, when Boro worked the ball through his area he could make up ground and atone for his mistake. Boro's front 4 were pretty interchangeable but Tomlin spent the most time on the left and was the quietest of their attackers. Got himself in a mess with the ball at his feet once but just about managed to clear before Bamford could capitalise. Going forward he was as direct and forceful as ever but didn't really get at Friend like I thought he could have.

Batth - 3.5 - Really poor. Childish defending for the first goal, rushing towards the ball when Stearman fucked up. Bamford ran the game yesterday, a real top quality player and Batth had no answer. Seemed almost mystified by Bamford's movement off the ball. He was a degree clumsier last night than he usually is, peaking in what should've been one of the most blatant sending offs you'll ever see. Batth struggled to control a bouncing ball, swung his foot wildly as Vossen (I think) looked to nick the ball off him and ended up karate kicking him right in the chest. Real De Jong vs Spain stuff and he was very lucky to escape with a booking.

Stearman - 3.5 - The first goal was fairly shocking defending by the whole back 5 but Stearman really should've cut out the long ball before Bamford had the chance to pounce. He was all over the place in the first half, clearly rattled by our recent fuck ups in defence. Improved slightly in the second half but he was clearly outclassed by Bamford on the day. Like Batth, Stearman also should've seen red in the second half. The ball was played in behind him, Bamford had him beaten all ends up so Stears took him out as he went through on goal. Clearly denying a goal scoring opportunity but he also escaped with a booking. Perhaps saved by the fact that Batth ran diagonally across the ball about a second after the foul fooling the ref into thinking that he was covering (he wasn't IMO). The POTS elect needs to step up his game if we're going to make the play offs, he's been shocking recently.

Hause - 2 - It's easy to say that Kenny Jackett was wrong to drop Golbourne for this one and maybe he was, but as bad as Hause was yesterday Golbourne was just as poor vs Blues. IMO dropping Golbourne after his howler was the correct decision, just as the half time sub vs Boro was the correct decision. In the first half an hour it seemed like everything Hause did was wrong, he was beaten early on by Adomah and it clearly shook him.

Price - 5 - Didn't do a great deal tbh. Boro just completely bypassed our midfield in the first half and he was subbed half way through the second. I've a bit of sympathy for him as he had no help whatsoever from McDonald and at least he cut out the stupid passing from the Blues game.

McDonald - 3 - Gutless. Somebody drag this soft bastard to the barbers and then train him to breathe through his nose instead of mincing around with his mouth hanging open. He was bad vs Blues and even worse yesterday. The less said about his 'performance' the better.

van La Parra - 4.5 - Had a poor game but not a classic Rajiv 'everything but the final ball' bad game. He was simply marked out of it for long periods and not helped by the fact that we spent a lot of time in our own half defending. Really should've scored his chance, put it anywhere on target except straight at him and the keeper has no time to react to that.

Edwards - 5.5 - He was okay I suppose. Did well to set up Sako's goal. In a 4-2-3-1 he was almost completely anonymous and in a 4-4-2 he was consistently caught out of position.
Wasted a few opportunities by misplacing passes, getting tackled early or ballooning shots miles over.

Sako - 7 MOTM - In the first half it seemed like it was going to be another one of those games. Completely isolated and stuck up against 2 men, everything he tried failed. In the second half we improved down the left with the introduction of Golbourne and Sako was back to his best. Beating players for fun and causing havoc in the Boro defence. Good goal although the keeper should've kept it out.

Afobe - 5 - Not really in the game at all. Every time he got on the ball Boro got an early tackle in and didn't let him run. I prefer him as the deeper of the two forwards in a 4-4-2.

Golbourne - 7 - Back to his usual self. Linked up well with Sako, played a decent cross for Rajiv's miss and was solid enough defensively. Like the rest of our back 4 he struggled with Boro's attacking movement but coped with it slightly better than his teammates.

Dicko - 7 - Changed the game. He shouldn't have been dropped and should've been subbed on much earlier. Unlike some of the others you could see how much it meant to him, at full time he was furious.

Jacobs - 6 - Didn't have much time. Blazed one shot over the bar when we could've built an attack but apart from that he was ok.

Awful team to put out tonight, we all knew it was wrong, the worst being leaving the best left back in the league on the bench for a fucking centre half. Ken, I love you but for fucking fuck's sake. That is ridiculous.

Win the last three and we'll still make it. Come on.

This in spades, in the last two seasons you can count on one hand the bad games Golbourne has had for us, he made a mistake on Saturday - it happens but as Deutsch says he's the best left back in the championship and we replace him with a player who isn't even a left back! Mind boggling
I think we will get nine points from the last three games but I think Brentford will aswell unfortunately. However the fact is whatever happens it's been a great season and pride has been restored to the club and for that Mr Jackett and the players we thank you.

Back