• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Brentford (A) Build-Up 23/2/16

How far have we declined from that performance? That team would beat current lot 5-0

That was a brilliant day. I was in the Brentford end and to this day I don't know how I managed to avoid getting the shit beat out of me.

I dont see the same number of footballers in the current team, the balance has changed far more towards athletic prowess.

There's only two players there who he's willingly ditched, Golbourne and Jacobs, he lost one a piece to age and ambition but other than that they're all still there and all been used regularly since.

They're just not playing against such pushovers anymore and haven't got someone like Sako to dig them out of the shit when needs be, the League 1 team were by no means footballing Gods.

There's only two players there who he's willingly ditched, Golbourne and Jacobs, he lost one a piece to age and ambition but other than that they're all still there and all been used regularly since.

They're just not playing against such pushovers anymore and haven't got someone like Sako to dig them out of the shit when needs be, the League 1 team were by no means footballing Gods.

Yet the balance was far better with that team very capable of playing football through the thirds. How much of that was due to mindset and the confidence that winning football gives you is unsure. Whats key for me is by removing footballers (replaced by runners) from important areas of the field the whole team now fails to function.

I would go with the same XI that started on Saturday. There are no easy matches in this division, especially away from home, and the lads were only ten minutes or so away from a very credible point.

We've a mid table squad, with a mid table manager, about to finish the season mid table.

If only Kenny Jackett had showed the same level of loyalty in those players as the club have showed Kenny Jackett we would be in a better place.

I think you're being incredibly kind to those players. Sure, Kenny is making a right balls up of this season but the players aren't blameless. Players who were great for us in L1 and last season don't look arsed, and I won't buy the excuse that it's all Jackett's fault.

I would go with the same XI that started on Saturday. There are no easy matches in this division, especially away from home, and the lads were only ten minutes or so away from a very credible point.

We've a mid table squad, with a mid table manager, about to finish the season mid table.

Go and look up Huddersfield's home record before our game on Saturday. That would not have been a 'very credible point' in any way. Their fans were literally singing 'how shit must you be, we're winning at home'.

Brentford have conceded 10 in the last 3 I think. I don't think they've taken too kindly to Dean Smith, I expect us to still set up for a draw mind.

Brentford have conceded 10 in the last 3 I think. I don't think they've taken too kindly to Dean Smith, I expect us to still set up for a draw mind.

Alan Judge worries me. He's exactly the type of attacking midfielder we struggle with.

You could add Price to that list tentatively given Jacketts drive to replace him at any opportunity. His failure to find a credible replacement doesn't cover up the intent imo.

Yet the balance was far better with that team very capable of playing football through the thirds. How much of that was due to mindset and the confidence that winning football gives you is unsure. Whats key for me is by removing footballers (replaced by runners) from important areas of the field the whole team now fails to function.

How much of it was due to the massive gulf in quality they had over their opponents almost every week?

How much of it was due to the massive gulf in quality they had over their opponents almost every week?

Most of that team featured from August-October last season and we played good football then. We no longer even attempt to play the same way.

Most of that team featured from August-October last season and we played good football then. We no longer even attempt to play the same way.

From what I saw it was more Afobe, Sako and Dicko doing their thing to overcome opponents rather than any grand footballing plan from the manager, the others were just a supporting cast.

I don't think Jackett has ever had Wolves as a great team from what I've seen, he's just been fortunate to have enough individuals that can make the difference for him, until now that is.

That pass in that Brentford game from Sako through to Jacobs is just fabulous.

From what I saw it was more Afobe, Sako and Dicko doing their thing to overcome opponents rather than any grand footballing plan from the manager, the others were just a supporting cast.

I don't think Jackett has ever had Wolves as a great team from what I've seen, he's just been fortunate to have enough individuals that can make the difference for him, until now that is.

We didn't have Dicko, Afobe and Sako together from August to October.

In the period Deutsch is referring to we were a passing team who looked to control possession with McDonald & Evans in midfield. We consistently had the best passing stats in the division and got off to a really solid start.

After Jan with Dicko returning and Afobe signing we evolved into a team who sat back, soaked up pressure and then hit on the break. Now we're just a team who sits back and soaks up pressure.

Very unfair. We did play some great stuff at the start of last season. I remember Evans excelling in a few games.

Back