• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Brighton 0-1 Wolves: Verdict Thread

Terrible first half. Great goal. Fortunate they didn’t equalise immediately after. Really little to say about first half otherwise

good tactical switch by Bruno to get Trincao and Traore higher up the pitch and Podence playing more like a number ten (surprise me how well he stuck to his task of marking Bissouma too). Trincao was actually pretty good second half but he was a complete waste of a shirt first half and was lucky to stay on pitch. We looked much better just pressing a bit higher and playing forwards quicker. With some better decisions/final pass or shot we could have buried them by 70 mins

first half reallynworried me but Bruno got it spot on at half time. Got Traore naturally causing a threat in behind as well as being able to break into space with the ball.
I thought our defensive display first half was good but possession wise we reverted to the horseshoe of doom too often and it was ponderous and easily snuffed out

As soon as the front three were fluid the passing had focus and threat. I thought the biggest changes were better forward passing from the CB's, at pace, and Neves supporting the front three higher up the pitch.

It forced their midfield backwards and when the front three were moving between the width of the penalty box their defenders didn't know who to mark or when to go which gave all 3 front men time on the ball.

I'd like to see Neto back as I think he'd be the finisher we need in those front positions along with Raul.

What last night did tell me is that we need a central midfielder to support the attack more and if it's one player in January that's it.

Marçal had a decent game and passed the ball forwards well, Semedo didn't but that's no surprise.

Back 3 were their usual brilliant selves. Saiss MotM.

Last edited:
The thing which surprises me is Bruno's brother came in with the PR of being the Fabio Whisperer. It would appear to not be working. As mentioned above, when you are one of only 2 strikers, yet 4th choice to play there, something is wrong

The thing which surprises me is Bruno's brother came in with the PR of being the Fabio Whisperer. It would appear to not be working. As mentioned above, when you are one of only 2 strikers, yet 4th choice to play there, something is wrong
His £35m price tag gone to his head?

It's almost like it was a terrible idea to buy teenager not ready for first team football for such a stupid figure.

His £35m price tag gone to his head?

It's almost like it was a terrible idea to buy teenager not ready for first team football for such a stupid figure.
You’ve never mentioned it before!

He played against Spurs reserves and look woefully out of his depth. He played against Forest U23s and didn’t exactly stand out.

He will get his chance against Sheff Utd. If he doesn’t stand out in that game then we have a massive problem and he will need to get back in his box.

Won’t he get an appearance fee for 1 minute’s work?

If his agent can find another club willing to pay £35M….

Money doesn't even come into it at his age though, won't earn sod all in the future if he doesn't get game time and improve.

I've never heard of a 35m loan fee either, even for a generational talent.

It does surprise me about Fabio, he’s always struck me as someone who works really hard on and off the pitch. He’ll be out on loan next month and I doubt we’ll see much of him again.

Re: the horseshoe of doom thing. It looks like the players instinctively look to play it backwards and retain possession whenever it gets a bit sticky. Whilst I understand that retaining possession is a good thing, I also think that when defences are unbalanced there would be an opportunity elsewhere if we were a little more positive.

It does surprise me about Fabio, he’s always struck me as someone who works really hard on and off the pitch. He’ll be out on loan next month and I doubt we’ll see much of him again.
He's probably feeling a little miffed that he's had very few minutes this season. That said, Lage is making him realise what it takes to be a footballer - hopefully he'll come out better for it.

Re: the horseshoe of doom thing. It looks like the players instinctively look to play it backwards and retain possession whenever it gets a bit sticky. Whilst I understand that retaining possession is a good thing, I also think that when defences are unbalanced there would be an opportunity elsewhere if we were a little more positive.
And I think we did that in the second half.

It forced Brighton backwards and a couple of times when they pressed a couple of simple balls by both Kilman and Saiss sprang counter attacks.

It's so much more effective.

absolutely. If he refs every game like that he should have a great career and would be welcome at Molineux anytime in place of ( delete as appropriate) Dean/Marriner/Attwell/Scott/Moss.

Marcal had his best game in a Wolves shirt for me. Defensive positioning was good , tackling good and appropriate shit-housery when needed.
Marcal was excellent, except his corners. Fuck me.

However, obviously one of his shit corners is where the goal came from! :)

Marcal was excellent, except his corners. Fuck me.

However, obviously one of his shit corners is where the goal came from! :)
Was just going to say!!

Start of second half when Trincao went over to take the first corner with Podence it made me realise how bizarre it was that Marcal was on the right hand side ones in the first half though.

And I think we did that in the second half.

It forced Brighton backwards and a couple of times when they pressed a couple of simple balls by both Kilman and Saiss sprang counter attacks.

It's so much more effective.
The second half reminded me a bit of Southampton away a couple of years ago when we were two nil down. I think we could play that way more often with Jimenez and Hwang/someone up top and a player like Podence behind them centrally. We did it well with Gibbs-White there a couple of times in 18/19 too.

We broke very well didn't we! Some really good incisive passing from Saiss, Marcal and Kilman meant that we sprung forward and there was little they could do.

The ref was very good, although i did think Bissouma was fortunate, he ploughed through Neves(?) and then a very high dangerous foot on Marcal all in the same incident. He could/should have got a booking for the first challenge and the one on Marcal was an orange to say the least - for which he got a yellow

That's the least impressive Bissouma has been when playing against Wolves, he usually dominates, which says a lot for Moutinho and Neves' performances.

Note that Moutinho didn't take a single corner last night, and that both Neves and Moutinho weren't involved in the crap free kick Podence hit against the wall, so that has finally been addressed.

It may be a while until we see a Moutinho corner again.

The second half reminded me a bit of Southampton away a couple of years ago when we were two nil down. I think we could play that way more often with Jimenez and Hwang/someone up top and a player like Podence behind them centrally. We did it well with Gibbs-White there a couple of times in 18/19 too.
I noticed Trincao drift into that position a few times too. Bissouma couldn't cope with their movement.

It's a conundrum with Raul, he isn't going to move like those 3 but I bet he gets on the end of some of Marçal's crosses and makes the same runs Pod does and scores a brace.

We need to get him moving as part of a front three, but who do we play him with?

I was wondering if that free kick was a training ground one where Podence was going to slide the ball to a seemingly uninvolved Neves to fool the Brighton defenders but obviously not

I was wondering if that free kick was a training ground one where Podence was going to slide the ball to a seemingly uninvolved Neves to fool the Brighton defenders but obviously not
Likewise - thought he was just going to roll it across for Neves to hoof it over.

Back