• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Brighton 3-3 Wolves: Verdict Thread

On your final point, I agree there is no place for sentiment for anyone. But come on mate, you described him as hapless a few pages back and costing us goals and games.

On the penalty tonight, yep 100% his fault.

On the third, I havent seen the goal back so if he does concede a needless corner, I'll take your word for it. But not sure you can blame him for the goal. 1 - it takes a huge deflection off Saiss, and 2 - players were there to deal with the corner.

Yes Dean was shit against Villa, but if Moutinho doesn't foul a player, then it's not on him he gets sent off. And the red card didnt cost us anything, we were already behind and he got sent off in the last minute

One (two in your opinion) error leading to a goal this evening doesn't make him hapless
I am not alone in thinking his recent performances are poor. I sincerely hope he can turn it around. But a repeat of tonight soon will be too much to accommodate. So we can debate without mickey taking?

Nah, you are good. I believe everyone is a Wolves fan on here, but everyone has a different personality on here too. Hard to figure that out until you are here for a while, unlike real life where you figure it out in the expression pretty quick.
I am no shrinking violet! Wolves blood runs in my veins.

I am not alone in thinking his recent performances are poor. I sincerely hope he can turn it around. But a repeat of tonight soon will be too much to accommodate. So we can debate without mickey taking?
I haven't taken the mickey with you once, but by the by, absolutely.

I haven't said anywhere that Moutinho has been playing well recently - although I did think he was good at Old Trafford in the week. His performances havent been at the level of his first 2 seasons here, but he still has a role to play.

The issue I took and challenged with you, a few pages back now, was your view that he keeps making errors leading to goals/defeats. The only ones I can think of are the penalty this evening, and his dallying on the ball leading to Villas penalty (although Semedo's stupid challenge was more culpable) That's about it. We have players who have made more errors leading to goals than that this season.

He isnt bulletproof from criticism, but neither is he hapless or a mistake waiting to happen

Dear God, what have I Just spent the last 45 mins reading in bed. There was 17 pages and I thought I’d at least find something worthwhile in there.

On the game, I said at HT there’s no way Brighton were scoring 2. That went out the window when Moutinho gave the penalty away (its inexplicable, don’t understand it, he’s nowhere near the ball and doesn’t need to do it, somehow managed to take Dan Burns crown for “stupidest tackle in a game”, it’s like he was trying to trip him up). Nuno then panics and thinks 5 at the back is the way to go. This is pure stupidity. Takes a man out the middle who helps you defend the middle of the pitch and also maintain possesion, and replaces him with a defender who can’t influence the game and has no one to pass to. Added to this brighton switched to a 4, so the table had completely turned. The tactical advantage we had in the first half we completely reversed and now Brighton had all the options in the middle of the pitch. Still it requires a set piece for them to equalise and even that has a huge slice of luck. Rest of the game we’d lost the momentum and tactical advantage so couldn’t get back out and attack.

Still, we managed to score 3 goals basically carrying 2 players. Silva and Vitinha barely touched the ball, not sure id be paying £20m for him at the moment, decent 20 mins against Utd then faded, need to see more from him before committing.

Few side points I noticed scrolling through.

- 4 at the back isn’t the problem. We weren’t solid with 5, and we weren’t scoring either. And that was with our players fit

- Ruddy is dreadful. Anyone advocating him playing his talking out their arse.

- Moutinho’s mistake was a howler as I’ve said above and indirectly cost us the win today. But only a couple of weeks ago he was superb. Digging him out is bizarre, far bigger issues than him currently.

- Semedo was fine today. I don’t agree that he’s a WB though. Doesn’t really have and stand out qualities in an attacking sense but has also been suspect defensively. That has improved of late though. Said it before, he’s a poor mans Kyle Walker.

- I’m not in any clique. Never met anyone on here. Wouldn’t say I “like” the people I was banded with either. I like things that appear to be thought out analysis supported by facts which is articulated well. I don’t like “my mates”. I’d also like to think my likes are for “thought out analysis”.

- the “relegation battle” stuff on the match day thread was plain bizarre. We literally have 100% more points than Fulham and 60% more than Brighton. Just because we give away a shit goal from nothing (again), doesn’t mean we are in a relegation battle! Was rightly criticised at the time.

We need a striker and some players back fit. Although of the short term casualties I think only Podence improves us. Boly is hit and miss, Marcal has been OK and Donck average -> poor.

I’ve accepted the season is going nowhere but I’d like to see some promise moving into the last third of the season knowing we can “go again” next year.

Last edited:
Jesus H Christ, this thread is golden 😂

This Moutinho hate is hilarious. Less than a handful of mistakes and he's now Dave Edwards?

I would love to know who comes in and instanty stamps their authority on the team and improves. everyone. Several players are not performing as you'd expect/hope. It doesn't take 50 years of wolves fan experience to see (or in some cases not see that 🙄😂)

Extremely disappointed to drop 2 points today - but we need a more suitable and stronger CF. Silva is just not suitable right now for the job were asking him to do.

Match threads are a hard read and it's sad to see verdict threads going the same way.

It's really tough to wade through so many bullshit, bickering posts

The thing that gets me recently from people is the venom seems to have to be focused on one player, yes Joao made an error of judgement but that wasn't why we were dire the second half, the same as Podence against Man U.
We seems perfectly fine if were dictating the game, if we're either pressing or harassing but if the role is reversed, there's just too much panic, teams seem to have sussed if they press us second half we will crumble and we will allow them chances whilst we generate nothing.

Wow!!! Just wasted half an hour of my life reading that thread.
Beaver frankly your screams against victimisation really sound more to me like "once I thought I was wrong, but I was only mistaken".
Oh and if it helps I have been a die hard, in my blood, over biased, wolves fan since 1957.
Currently , with injuries, no pre season, and a desire to score more goals, we are like a woman in the change.
Put tissue paper in your ears, and a plastic smile on your face and it will all be alright in the end.

I am reading this back in the cold light of day. There are some really good points , possibly made in the heat of the moment, from all sides of the debate. My conclusion is that we as a team are not in transition ,we are suffering from an identity crisis. Those on the pitch are not doing what they are familiar with or they lack the skill to do what they are tasked to do. Moutinho got flack yesterday and rightly so. RAN defended poorly more often than not. Silva really did not have a kick. We also lack height at the back without Boly and Raul and Dendonker hence simple set piece goals being conceded. There is a lot to ponder as a wolves fan at the moment. We are not hard to beat and have no ability to surprise. Our counter attacks are easy to repel and we are not getting men in the box. The Neves/ Moutinho issue is ,quite rightly raising the question of how effective they are together. The have two points from the nine games they have started I believe, and that is a record that will raise eyebrows.

This last six weeks has been pretty awful in terms ofsults and performances. The only bright light for me has been Otasowie and I think he is the find of this season. Let's hope we get some new blood to freshen the squad and a few back from the treatment table.

Aye I think posting in the heat of the moment (of which I am very guilty at times) is not a good idea.

For me the big difference is the players do not seem as well drilled as in previous seasons. It was always a given that under Nuno players knew exactly what they should be doing at any time. In a bid to, I guess, make us more innovative and unpredictable this seems to have changed. Difficulty is this means we become more susceptible to individual errors as players are not in their expected positions. I do agree with Beaver slightly that Joao seems to have made more of these individual errors that others - but that’s possibly because he is so integral to our play. As I’ve said on pretty much every buildup thread I would take him out and replace with Otasowie. It’s clear that the clique don’t agree with me though, wankers ;)

It only takes one good run of results to be back in the upper mid table, but the problem is the consistency of performance doesn’t indicate that will come. Before this game I felt we needed a minimum of 6 from the next 3 to not just let this season fade out. Need to win these two upcoming home games now.
This is going to be a really unique season I think, where the winners will end up with 80 to 85 points and you need +44 points to stay up.

Champions and Europa league places could be anyone’s if they have a good run

I’m not Nuno, and I know everything is needed now, but let’s fix one problem at a time

OO has to partner Ruben in midfield

The four or five at the back argument needs to be resolved which doesn’t help without Boly, Marcel and Jonny out at the moment

We need a proven striker in the window, as I can’t see Raúl being risked until end of the season and young Silva is struggling in this system

For all his critics Traore was our best player yesterday, yes a low bar, but you could see that he was stepping up. However, back to what I’ve said before, we don’t want him to do all his trickery 30 yards from our box, he needs to do that in the opposition’s half and learn to lay the ball off more

Think that was Neto’s quietest performance yesterday and absolutely nothing came off for him. So similar to Adama, needs to slow the pace down a tad and allow others especially Neves to get farther up the field

I’m taking the positives rather than the negatives out of yesterday’s game and perhaps look at the three games over Christmas where it could maybe even should have been 7 points instead of 2, just shows you what one deflected goal and a shit half does in the grand scheme of things.

Who said fine margins and all that were spot on

Lets keep our nerve and not lose our heads guys 👍

You piled in with the usual disparagers. Lets read some sense tomorrow & take note of my last posts.
So...
Firstly I didn't "pile in", i read through the verdict thread and found a post that was factually incorrect and explained why I believed that was the case.
Secondly to your posts...
Over 10 pages, from page 4 to 14 you made about 20 posts which all contained "attacks" on Joao Moutinho stating that the club must sell him, he is a liability in every single game and has cost us numerous matches. - While I believe that this opinion is wrong I do agree that he has been over played over the last 2 seasons and it is catching up with him so should have been given a rest on a number of occasions. I think that Otasowi has proved himself a capable player and, though young and lacking experience, he has shown that he is ready for some more game time. I would hope that part of his development will be more games ahead of Joao but don't underestimate the contribution that a player of Moutinho's class and experience can provide in the development of youngsters. I expect Joao to take his badges and try to move into coaching in the future when his career is over.
Rui Patricio - You also seem to have a bit of a downer on our keeper too but then suggest that John Ruddy replace him because "he is an England keeper". Ruddy has 1 cap, gained in 2012 as a substitute while Patricio has played 94 times for Portugal and is still their number one.
You stated that he needs to learn to command his box or "go back to Europe". That last bit is a very strange comment to make but as for command of the area, he is the best I've seen since Matt Murray at doing just that but he is possibly unsure or cautious because the defence has changed in front of him and isn't as composed as it has been in previous seasons. I'm not going to go tit for tat with world class saves or howlers that either Ruddy or Rui have made but will just say that Patricio is the #1 for Wolves for a reason and that is that he is the better of the two keepers.
Being a keeper is a lonely occupation because if an outfield player makes a mistake there is a chance for someone else to dig him out of trouble. When a keeper makes a mistake it usually leads to a goal against, see Ruddy in the Championship vs Norwich(?) when he was beaten in stoppage time by an Olivera shot from about 35yds, or the shot that was going wide that he somehow managed to scoop into out net against ? (I remember the mistake but not the team)
Equally Rui has dropped a clanger or two with the 1st minute Spurs goal being one that he will not be happy with although the Giroud one vs Arsenal is just one of those things. A powerful shot from close range that he got plenty on but was unable to keep out because of the position the ball found itself to the side of his body. It happens
Fabio Silva - I completely agree. There is no way he should be sent out on loan at the moment. He was supposed to come here and learn his trade from Jimenez but has found himself thrusted to the front because of the injury Raul suffered. There is currently no other striking option apart from playing with a 5'5 or 5'8 "false nine", a set up that I hate. The lack of striker option must be corrected as quickly as possible with a minimum loan forward in, allowing Fabio to still develop without being discarded.
We are also without 4 or 5 seasoned professionals and so, of course we are going to be a little light on options which is possibly why Nuno has relied on Joao a little too much

One final thing, you will find that people often use humor on here, especially after an aberration of a result that we experienced last night. Lighthearted and often flippant comments are not personal attacks on you or anyone else, don't be so thin skinned, and even Moderators are allowed to laugh at my poor attempts at humor if they find it funny. They are Wolves fans first, and moderate second

The league table is congested, which I put primarily down to the Covid effect. I don't think that will lead to a high line for staying up though. Fulham's PPG would get them 28 points, Brighton 31, so even factoring in an improvement from both then mid to high 30's will keep you up

3rd goal for Brighton - watch the build up. Only one player lost us that game tonight & it is just not good enough at this level.
So say something interesting. Feel free to ignore me as you clearly know it all
So say something interesting. Feel free to ignore me as you clearly know it all already?
Just a word of advice - yes, this is a forum, but that also means trying to debate in a constructive way rather than dogmatically repeating the same point endlessly, and also tailing your posts with a provocative boast or insult isn’t going to endear you either - on that basis, I will be putting you in the part of the internet where I don’t have to play with you ever again.

This is going to be a really unique season I think, where the winners will end up with 80 to 85 points and you need +44 points to stay up.
I agree that the champions will end up with a lower total than normal. The last 3 seasons the champions have ended up with a crazy total. However, you arent going to need 44 points or more to stay up. There is some absolute rubbish down there. I'd be amazed if Sheffield United and Albion got 44 points between them

Right. I almost closed this thread last night because it just became a petty squabbling mess. It's horrible to try and read through and the actual football comments got lost.

If it starts up again today it WILL be closed.

Right. I almost closed this thread last night because it just became a petty squabbling mess. It's horrible to try and read through and the actual football comments got lost.

If it starts up again today it WILL be closed.
I was going to say just delete all the pathetic petty squabbling posts, but there would hardly be anything left.

Think it's just best not to come on here to read on matchdays( for me anyway), either during matches or after final whistle.

Back