• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Brighton (A) 22/1: Build-Up & Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus wept do some journalists do any in depth research rather than just drop well trodden pieces from elsewhere into their articles? As we all know we turned down what we all thought was a fantastic offer in the summer so why would be willing to let a guaranteed starter leave mid season? Even then that ignores the fact that we passed the PSR at the June deadline and got plenty of profits on players afterwards.

From the Guardian.

Threadbare Wolves ponder future without Kilman​

While Wolves fans look ahead to the West Brom FA Cup fourth-round tie that follows after beating Brentford, there is a tough Premier League assignment to complete. Brighton have won the teams’ past four meetings, scoring 16 goals in the process, and won this fixture 6-0 last season. They return to action for the first time since 6 January, having enjoyed the full Premier League break. Wolves’ mid-winter break was truncated by the replay against Brentford and Gary O’Neil spoke afterwards of “a very small, tired group to do some work with before we go to Brighton”. A budget teetering close to profit and sustainability limits means there will be no raft of recruitments, with O’Neil admitting to a sell-to-buy situation. Max Kilman, linked with West Ham last week, fits the bill of a pure-profit cashable asset as someone bought in from non-league, but selling the club captain would be unpopular.

Jesus wept do some journalists do any in depth research rather than just drop well trodden pieces from elsewhere into their articles? As we all know we turned down what we all thought was a fantastic offer in the summer so why would be willing to let a guaranteed starter leave mid season? Even then that ignores the fact that we passed the PSR at the June deadline and got plenty of profits on players afterwards.

From the Guardian.

Threadbare Wolves ponder future without Kilman​

While Wolves fans look ahead to the West Brom FA Cup fourth-round tie that follows after beating Brentford, there is a tough Premier League assignment to complete. Brighton have won the teams’ past four meetings, scoring 16 goals in the process, and won this fixture 6-0 last season. They return to action for the first time since 6 January, having enjoyed the full Premier League break. Wolves’ mid-winter break was truncated by the replay against Brentford and Gary O’Neil spoke afterwards of “a very small, tired group to do some work with before we go to Brighton”. A budget teetering close to profit and sustainability limits means there will be no raft of recruitments, with O’Neil admitting to a sell-to-buy situation. Max Kilman, linked with West Ham last week, fits the bill of a pure-profit cashable asset as someone bought in from non-league, but selling the club captain would be unpopular.
Spotted that and thought exactly the same Sniffer.

• Wolves have won their past three Premier League games. They last won four in a row in the top flight in January 1972 under Bill McGarry.
  • Matheus Cunha has been directly involved in eight goals in his past nine Premier League appearances for Wolves, having registered just five goal contributions in his first 28 games for the club in the competition.

You don't get striped shorts these days. Bonus points if you get the Brighton player without cheating. Ex-Arsenal is your clue.

meade-best.jpeg

• Wolves have won their past three Premier League games. They last won four in a row in the top flight in January 1972 under Bill McGarry.
Jesus . . . I was at all 4 of those games - over 51 years ago:

18/12/71 2-0 vs Stoke (H)
27/12/71 2-1 vs Leicester (A)
1/1/72 2-0 vs Newcastle (H)
8/1/72 3-1 vs Man Utd (A)

The win at Old Trafford (my only visit to that ground I was in the stand facing the Wolves first two goals in the 1st half) was particularly memorable.

Yes I was at Old Trafford too. Really good performance and a deserved win.
Just for once it really was like watching Brazil !
I’ll have to look up our scorers, but I’m guessing John Richards got at least one, and Dougan?

Last edited:
Yea, Dougan, Richards, and Jim McCalliog.

Wow, 52 years ago. Reduced to thoughtfulness

Yea, Dougan, Richards, and Jim McCalliog.

Wow, 52 years ago. Reduced to thoughtfulness
The team that played that game - Parkes, Shaw, Parkin, Bailey, Munro. McAlle, McCalliog, Hibbitt, Richards, Dougan, Wagstaffe - was the best Wolves side I ever saw, just edging Nuno's Wolfpack of 2018-2020.

Although I'm the first to admit it's a very different game today.

The team that played that game - Parkes, Shaw, Parkin, Bailey, Munro. McAlle, McCalliog, Hibbitt, Richards, Dougan, Wagstaffe - was the best Wolves side I ever saw, just edging Nuno's Wolfpack of 2018-2020.

Although I'm the first to admit it's a very different game today.
I loved that team but I think Nunos first Premier league team/squad shades it.

You don't get striped shorts these days. Bonus points if you get the Brighton player without cheating. Ex-Arsenal is your clue.

meade-best.jpeg
Looks like the Brighton guy is about to 28 Weeks Later our player!

The pack stuff has always and continues to make me shudder. Clichéd, marketing bollocks.

Should have known the Brighton player, but had to Google in the end.

I loved that team but I think Nunos first Premier league team/squad shades it.
It's a discussion that can never be resolved or agreed upon.

As I said it's a totally different game now - better pitches, stadiums, smarter fitness management, referees/VAR, tackles/fouls, money which to summarise had led to a clique of 6/7 clubs that are so financially advantaged over the rest that competing for a major trophy is almost an impossibility.

From 70/71 to 73/74 Wolves finished 4th, 9th, 5th and 12th. UEFA Cup runners-up, semi-finalists in both League & FA Cup and of course winning the League Cup.

Versus Nuno's team of winning promotion in a canter, 2 consecutive 7th placed finishes (with a likely finish of 6th in 19/20 if it wasn't for COVID/Spurs), an FA Cup semi final and a Europa League quarter final.

On straight comparisons the early 70s team has the edge it but the playing field was far more even not the lop-sided field Nuno's team competed in and managed to do so well in.

We're fortunate to have enjoyed both teams which are both now fondly regarded by Wolves supporters.

It was so long ago, it’s hard to remember very clearly, but I think I enjoyed the games more all those years ago, because we had a good side who played good football.
Also I was a great deal fitter, slimmer, and buzzing with energy. 🙂
Mind you, Nuno’s team were terrific in their own right, and in between times who could not enjoy Bully handing it out to all and sundry.
So no comparisons are necessary. It’s just Wolves ay it?

It was so long ago, it’s hard to remember very clearly, but I think I enjoyed the games more all those years ago, because we had a good side who played good football.
Also I was a great deal fitter, slimmer, and buzzing with energy. 🙂
Mind you, Nuno’s team were terrific in their own right, and in between times who could not enjoy Bully handing it out to all and sundry.
So no comparisons are necessary. It’s just Wolves ay it?
I know I enjoyed the game more from that time simply because it was a more even playing field.

I totally missed the Bully years - I never saw a Wolves games (including highlights) from mid-82 to early-98.:mad:

I see where Brighton were in Dubai as well .

I think it'll be this tonight, Bueno is way off it by all accounts and GON said Doc played well against Brentford in the cup.

I hope he starts Neto, but I think I might keep him as an ace up his sleeve.

Ive seen a few suggest Santi over Dawson, but i would still go with Dawson.

-------------------------------------Sa

---------------Kilman-------Dawson-------Toti-------------

Semedo-----------Lemina---------Doyle-----------Doherty

--------------Sarabia------Cunha-------Bellegarde----------

Reactions: b3h
We know our record here is shite, but we also know a win puts us level on points with them. He’s got to go full strength, which means starting Pedro.

Personally, I’d also start Hugo, for balance more than anything.

You’re probably right though, EP. There will be at least one choice we’re not happy with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back