• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Burnley 1-1 Wolves: Verdict Thread

Sorry that the direct quote & headline that you asked for isn’t enough.
Well the fact you screenshot the a headline rather than provide the link to the full story immediately makes me doubt that the full story is as black and white.

Well the fact you screenshot the a headline rather than provide the link to the full story immediately makes me doubt that the full story is as black and white.

1712128438977.png

Jeff didn't get the memo about not making mistakes though

Last edited:

View attachment 10071

Jeff didn't get the memo about about not making mistakes though

So in the context of Wolves' probably longest ever season, with an inflated number of games due to European completion, Nuno thought he needed some more players. Considering no other manager since has had that workload and Nuno himself didn't complain until that point, I wouldn't exactly say they were singing off exactly the same hymn sheet personally.

On the Jeff manages Jeff has fucked off in the PL

Nuno - Breakdown of relationship with Jeff. Jeff wanted something different to the style Nuno had created his success with. The squad thing really isn't a factor in his departure. The Raul injury highlighted a short fall in 1 area but we had signed Cutrone the season before, so Nuno's comments are more "stop signing crap players"....he then got Fabio.

Bruno - To a degree he was done over in his first season with a limited spend and then losing an attacking player in Scott's big January freebie deal. He then got £100m or so but he was only here as Jorge ensured he was. Very vocal between windows but soon shut up when it opened

Lopetegui - Wasn't about squad size for him, it was squad quality. We sprayed money around for him and then sat down and did some maths and realised we had royally fucked it and his spending abilities would be £0. After a little spell of teasing him and say can you lower your targets before asking him to rethink again.

GO - We have done him over in January but he knew that was probably coming. He walked into a job where the money situation was highlighted and he accepted that. The victim of his own success really if were down with Everton, Brentford etc we would have signed a forward but as the club had us down as finish 17th and spend as little as possible, being sat safe in January just gave them the excuse to not spend and go uber cautious on PSR. Sadly it means we will probably limp to the end of the season and we will look back on it with mixed feelings - We finish, say 13th, we all say we would have accepted that back in August but a tinge of regret we didn't make a push in January to target 7th or 8th or get a Wembley visit. The only way what we did in January can be looked back on in a positive view is if we have genuinely kicked that budget down the line to spend from June 1st (highly doubtful that is the case though).

GO has had the worst hand dealt but that is because of what we did before he came here. We have put money away and risked player welfare and GO is spot on with his comments from last night. I don't think it will be the start of Lopetegui situation though, although GO knows he is up for a new contract and will be in demand after his first 2 years in management, so an early show if his hand ahead of those talks in May.

Last edited:
Ultimately you are trusting luck. I think there is something in the strength and conditioning stuff that Nuno and his team did to avoid muscle injuries, but there's nothing you can do with an ACL like Jonny or a skull fracture like Raul. Equally you don't want many established players not even making the bench and potentially becoming a problem, however hope shouldn't be a strategy, the squad is 2 or 3 players light

Letting Sasa & Fabio go without bringing in a replacement was just wrong, can argue about the amount of playing time either had got but to expect all our current forwards to play every minute of every game was laughable.

Letting Sasa & Fabio go without bringing in a replacement was just wrong, can argue about the amount of playing time either had got but to expect all our current forwards to play every minute of every game was laughable.
Precisely. When they were released I think everyone including GO thought it was on the basis of at least one forward coming in.

yeah but no 6 point deduction for the next 2 years.

Praise to Jeff Shi....

Precisely. When they were released I think everyone including GO thought it was on the basis of at least one forward coming in.
I didn't, for all the reasons discussed previously. Getting 2 wages off the books was too attractive for them to turn down. We have 5 options for the forward positions, I don't think more than 2 of them being injured at the same time entered their thoughts and even if it did I'm still not convinced they'd have signed anyone. This season had one ambition and that had already been achieved, they had no interest in amending that

Luckily other clubs are in similar positions going into next season it’s why savvy recruitment is so crucial now, coming mid table to bottom half PL is about our natural place in the pyramid. As someone said earlier you could have Elon Musk buy us but he’ll be hamstrung by PSR as much as anyone else.
The grievances with Fosun is how they’ve managed transfers and wasted good money that’s now had a downstream affect on things now then coming out with BS rhetorical statements.

Luckily other clubs are in similar positions going into next season it’s why savvy recruitment is so crucial now, coming mid table to bottom half PL is about our natural place in the pyramid. As someone said earlier you could have Elon Musk buy us but he’ll be hamstrung by PSR as much as anyone else.
The grievances with Fosun is how they’ve managed transfers and wasted good money that’s now had a downstream affect on things now then coming out with BS rhetorical statements.
Wouldn’t disagree with any of that, yet it’s not the extent of the grievance:
> Could still have adapted / responded and made some basic acquisitions this Jan to make a bid for ‘glory’ - was obviously within bandwidth. Didn’t because it’s not the business plan.
> Blame the above on financial restrictions rather than a lack of appetite to support the club, then persuade a bunch of Comical Ali’s to patronise paying fans who call this out.
> Don’t invest in even the most basic of infrastructure improvements, maintenance or repair (clearly no PSR implications). Seemingly no financial benefit, so why bother?
> Build a back catalogue of annoying good managers - and Bruno Lage.
> Employ Matt Doherty.
> Charge fans a sht load more each season for no good reason other than the pursuit of demonstrable recurring revenues while delivering all of the above.

Happy to meet in the middle and have Jeff fired off to the sun.

That said, just because we’re now an established PL club, it doesn’t mean Fosun are absolved of criticism. I’ve lost count of the number of times things have seemingly been going well on the pitch but we’ve been hamstrung by their (Fosun/Jeff’s) negligence off it. We don’t need to do the whole big list of things that Jeff has fucked up again as we’ve done it a thousand times before.
The problem is Jeff, not Fosun. Although Fosun seems to like Jeff, so I guess they're to blame too.

Wouldn’t disagree with any of that, yet it’s not the extent of the grievance:
> Could still have adapted / responded and made some basic acquisitions this Jan to make a bid for ‘glory’ - was obviously within bandwidth. Didn’t because it’s not the business plan.
> Blame the above on financial restrictions rather than a lack of appetite to support the club, then persuade a bunch of Comical Ali’s to patronise paying fans who call this out.
> Don’t invest in even the most basic of infrastructure improvements, maintenance or repair (clearly no PSR implications). Seemingly no financial benefit, so why bother?
> Build a back catalogue of annoying good managers - and Bruno Lage.
> Employ Matt Doherty.
> Charge fans a sht load more each season for no good reason other than the pursuit of demonstrable recurring revenues while delivering all of the above.
I reckon we'll be looking at a 10% increase on season tickets this year.

GON wouldn't have played Sasa and Fabio if he had just me available..

IMG_8255.jpeg

Mario now going in on Jeff via the “small squad” line. The more the merrier.

I don't think that is "going in on Jeff" but more praising his teammates. Small squad has been mentioned all season, hardly like they all of sudden learnt how to count and gone "hold on Jeff...what the fuck is this about"

I guess it depends how fucked off you are with a person/organisation as to how you read it.

Back