• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Bye Bye Portugal Reserves?

Reduce the reliance on Portugal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lupollet

Formerly Streetly Wolf
Reaction score
Is it time we added another string to our bow and shopped somewhere other than upper second tier Portugal players?

It was new and exciting but now it’s boring playing a team with 4 or 5 Portugal B wingers.

Maybe it’s just Bruno draining the life out of the club?

Is it, or is it not, the highest quality set of players at Wolves in your lifetime ?

Last edited:
We want some good honest pro's who put a shift in. None of this foreign muck!

Can't have WAG's encouraging them to fake injury either.

<opens thread>

at.gif

<leaves thread>

Seems like a good place to post this (would love to see an English version):

48CE0207-1B57-4A3E-B01A-8DA8A6C6E757.jpegE23B9F83-0596-49A5-A86A-C131610CD66B.jpeg8A1B28F9-1C0B-42C2-8939-54701FA88000.jpegE5B39B5A-9A6B-4D6C-B89C-ADD70D635ACE.jpeg

Reactions: b3h
Watching the England game the other night and posters here referring to how boring it was .

I was then watching the Ireland Scotland match on Saturday evening . Now it might have been played at a lower level , but it was very entertaining it must be said .
Doherty started , but looked like someone that hadn't played for a while . He was lucky to avoid a card or two with poor tackling and struggled in the defending department again .
Our midfield was overrun eventually , we need better quality in central midfield but just don't have the players . It's pretty much all Championship players that we have at present and it shows . The spirit is very strong though and the football we play is a lot better to watch than recent regimes .

Second tier Portugal players?

You are officially a WUM.
I posted that after looking at their squad for the 4-0 the other night. We had 1 player (neves) in the starting 11…

I don’t want to be considered a WUM because that wasn’t my intention.

I really do think there’s a bit of snake oil in our Portuguese strategy… it’s certainly not working at the moment. That’s probably down to the manager - who is also Portuguese incidentally.

Is it, or is it not, the highest quality set of players at Wolves in your lifetime ?
It certainly is. But I do think it warrants a bit of discussion since we take it to extremes. Guedes for example is very Meh and he cost a lot. Would we have bought him in if he was Spanish? No.

We want some good honest pro's who put a shift in. None of this foreign muck!

Can't have WAG's encouraging them to fake injury either.
Speak for yourself. I thought Nuno, Jota, Mouts, Neto and Neves were top class. Nunes may also be.

Not so keen on Sa, Vinagre, Guedes and increasingly Semedo.

No idea what you are on about with WAGS, although I loved Waggy!

Aye, maybe we should end the reliance on English players, too. 🙄

I don't agree with the way the thread is positioned, but there is a conversation to be had about the players we've signed via Mendes post that first promotion window.
Fabio, Semedo, Guedes, Podence, Jordao and Nunes all signed at the top of their market value, with Chiquino and Gomes (I presume he represents them) low risk punts and a couple of loans which didn't work out in Vitinha and Trincao. Obviously it's too early to say we overpaid on a couple of those but equally it's fair to say that financially there's no favours in there. There's only Sa and Neto who we'd make money on and that's depreciating thanks to the manager he is also responsible for bringing in.

All that said there's no evidence we have a recruitment team capable of surviving without him. Indirectly I agree with the premise of the question, but not with the xenophobic way it's phrased and structurally there's a lot that needs doing before we could cut the Mendes cord

Last edited:
I don't agree with the way the thread is positioned, but there is a conversation to be had about the players we've signed via Mendes post that first promotion window.
Fabio, Semedo, Guedes, Podence, Jordao and Nunes all signed at the top of their market value, with Chiquino and Gomes (I presume he represents them) low risk punts and a couple of loans which didn't work out in Vitinha and Trincao. Obviously it's too early to say we overpaid on a couple of those but equally it's fair to say that financially there's no favours in there. There's only Sa and Neto who we'd make money on and that's depreciating thanks to the manager he is also responsible for bringing in.

All that said there's no evidence we have a recruitment team capable of surviving without him. Indirectly I agree with the premise of the question, but not with the xenophobic way it's phrased and structurally there's a lot that needs doing before we could cut the Mendes cord
There is nothing Xenophobic about it. I has nothing to do with race or religion at all. I mentioned several Portuguese players I have thought amongst the best wolves have ever had in the actual opening post.

I believe Nuno to be the best manager of my lifetime (and I remember mcgarry). I would have Nuno back at the club tomorrow if he’d come.

What I’m not happy about is us paying large amounts on the likes of Fabio silva, Guedes and Semedo to find we could have got similar for half the price elsewhere, and worse having a manager like Lage because Mendes told us to.

If you think that makes me xenophobic then so be it.

Back