• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Cardiff (H) Build-Up 16/1/16

Deutsch Wolf

aka Dawn
Reaction score
What we put out last night *shouldn't* work, but it mostly did. I know it was a bit dodgy towards the end but that was because we didn't take our chances, should have been at least 5-1 before McCormack scored. Alfie can't play so I think everything will stay the same, I guess Bright will be on the bench.

2014/15: W 1-0 (H), W 1-0 (A)
2012/13: L 1-2 (H), L 1-3 (A)
2008/9: D 2-2 (H), W 2-1 (A)
2007/8: W 3-0 (H), W 3-2 (A), L 0-2 (A, FAC)
2006/7: L 1-2 (H), L 1-4 (A)
2005/6: W 2-0 (H), D 2-2 (A)
2004/5: L 2-3 (H), D 1-1 (A)

I reckon we'll have another striker in by the weekend. But otherwise, no qualms with an unchanged line up as long as we continue with our new found attacking philosophy.

I reckon we'll have another striker in by the weekend. But otherwise, no qualms with an unchanged line up as long as we continue with our new found attacking philosophy.

I'm actually looking forward to the game providing we approach it in the same way. I really don't ask much and nor do most people.

Batth and EEL still don't always convince as a partnership but Slade's cavemanball should be meat and drink for them, especially with no Kenwyne Jones.

...new found attacking philosophy.

That's very generous. We were still far too cautious and sitting deep off the ball, particularly in midfield. When Fulham scored their second we defaulted to our 'defend out a one goal lead' approach.

It's loads better, but it was a battle of who could be shittest at times!

Understandable that it would get nervy once they pulled it back to 3-2. Especially as we were so much in command. It's nothing special but we were at least attacking with more than two men at a time. My biggest negative about last night would be the lack of subs again, it keeps happening. Opposition bring on fresh players, we do nothing and inevitably end up losing the initiative. Coady did alright last night but was out on his feet after about 70 minutes.

I thought we tried to counter hence letting them have the ball. Fulham's defence was on halfway!

Same team for me, providing everyone is fit. Approach the game in the same way as last night and we will give ourselves every chance of picking up three points.

No Kenwyne is good news, I find that we tend to struggle about big strong centre forwards over the years, more so than other sides. Guys that aren' prolific that seem to trouble the hell out of us, Jones, Andy Carroll, Pogregnik, Cameron Jerome. Didn't that fuck Dele Adebola used to score against us at least once a season for who ever he was at?! Or is that just blurred memory.

Adebola turned into the world's greatest forward when he played us.

I thought we tried to counter hence letting them have the ball. Fulham's defence was on halfway!

It was always going to be that way. Their midfield 4 are all good on the ball and they played some good stuff going forward but they offered absolutely nothing defensively. Soaking up pressure and cutting through them on the break was the perfect gameplan. The execution wasn't exactly perfect though, we seem to have a real problem as a team with switching off when leading by 2 goals. We were on outopilot from 50 minutes onwards, their 2nd goal was always going to happen.

So did Bobby Zomora. He struggled with that type of player at that point in his career

I once saw Lescott run ragged by Adebola at the Ricoh. Couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Zyro's second goal is extremely similar to Afobe's goal on his debut this time last year.

Zyro's second goal is extremely similar to Afobe's goal on his debut this time last year.

Erm, no it's not? His debut goal vs Blackpool the keeper & defender took each other out and he had an open goal.

Oh wait I'm getting it wrong - could've sworn it was a ball over the top and he was clear on goal, then through the keeper's legs like that.

Oh wait I'm getting it wrong - could've sworn it was a ball over the top and he was clear on goal, then through the keeper's legs like that.

I thought it was quite similar to Dicko's goal at Bolton last year.

I think it's the Rotherham one I'm thinking of, but that Dicko one is similar. Can't wait to see him back again next season.

Back