• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Chasing Europe...........

Looking at the fixtures I think the good thing about them is that we'll know whether we've got a chance by the Arsenal (H) game.

We'll need a significant lead going into that game.

Fully agree with Langers . It would be great to get there and experience something different , even if its status can be questioned come the final . Look at West Ham - might not have been a great competition , but when you get to the final you want to win it .

It's all about the attitude towards the competition - you have to embrace it , if you don't it will come through in the performance on the pitch , and that can then spread to the League .

Our chances this season look slim enough , but you never know .

8_2023_opta_dark_season_simulation_plot_2024_02_27-2048x1317.png

That table is a little confusing for my brain to follow, why are man city 2nd when they're more likely to finish 1st than liverpool? I guess Opta have calculated the most likely average position e.g. 1.5 for liverpool vs 1.7 for man city or something

In the conversation. Not an outstanding favourite. I think that’s fair.

Saudi seem a touch overrated but I haven’t looked at their fixtures.

10th/11th is most likely as it shows, but it has Newcastle as 7th who are currently below us so it's not unrealistic to say we have a chance of that.

That table is a little confusing for my brain to follow, why are man city 2nd when they're more likely to finish 1st than liverpool? I guess Opta have calculated the most likely average position e.g. 1.5 for liverpool vs 1.7 for man city or something
It's the current league table on the left

It says at the bottom, it's predicted finishes (based on remaining fixtures, underlying xG trends, injuries, commitments in other competitions etc).

Man City are 2nd because they are 2nd.

Crazy that we’re mathematically still capable of 5th. 🤯

And stats probably show City as a massive favourite for 3 points in every game bar a toss up at Anfield. Liverpool might draw somewhere else

Mathematically we could win the league. Or go down.

There's nothing showing against 1st-4th or 17th-20th for us as Opta assess it as having a <0.1% chance of happening.

Didn't think the picture would need two explanations :D
Too early for me to math properly innit 😅

Still, even having the 0.6% probability at 5th is nuts to me, even if that basically still qualifies as impossible.

It has Man City with a higher probability of finishing first with 51.1% to Liverpool's 35.2%.

Looking at the fixtures I think the good thing about them is that we'll know whether we've got a chance by the Arsenal (H) game.

We'll need a significant lead going into that game.
Of course that's FA Cup SF Weekend, which if we're still in it your point stands regardless.

Now confirmed that if England get the extra CL spot (West Ham and Arsenal could do with pulling their finger out next week) and the FA Cup winners also finish in the European spots that 8th will qualify for the Conference League.

I don't think we'll finish 8th but there it is.

Start stenciling us on the 24/25 Conference League Trophy already!

West Ham works on 2 fronts, helping the points and also reduces their chances of finishing 8th. I still don't think they matter as English clubs will win all 3 trophies.

Brighton have hit a wall and Chelsea are inconsistent at best, if it wasn't for our injuries and shite squad planning I'd fancy us

I thought awhile ago it was just fanciful, then a few weeks ago I was in the 'you know with a bit of luck' it might be possible but with our injuries and lack of options it's gone......probably.

West Ham works on 2 fronts, helping the points and also reduces their chances of finishing 8th. I still don't think they matter as English clubs will win all 3 trophies.
Thing with West Ham is it's a double hit, Germany are our closest challengers as it stands (Italy are top), if they get rid of Freiburg then it should be their collective efforts over.

We have to be winning tomorrow if we're serious about making it.

Back