• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

The focus on these numbers needs to stop, we need to get into the mindset of just dealing with it like we do flu. People will get it, some will go to hospital, some will die unfortunately. Those figures are still pretty low thankfully and more importantly not grinding the NHS to a halt. The more focus that’s’ put on positive test numbers the longer it’s going to take to get out of any sort of lockdown. There’s no justification really for still being locked down so any thought of extending it further is just ridiculous and before you know it we’ll be merged into the higher cases that are inevitable in the winter and that’ll be another year lost.
Agree 100%. Once the link between Covid and hospitalisations/deaths is proved to be broken (which looks very likely now), reporting case numbers is simply sensationalist fodder for the media/conspiracy theorists/paranoiacs. You might as well report the number of people who get colds. We don't report lung cancer cases, but I bet cigarettes are killing a sight more than Covid is.

The vaccines are doing their job and, remarkably, the British public is for once united in a common-sense approach to getting them. Time to reap the rewards of that.

Compared to most of the world, the fatal impact of COVID in Australia has been slight - just over 900 deaths and none this year.

Albeit, the harsh lockdown restrictions in Melbourne/Victoria (5 months and counting in the last 15 months) have resulted in huge psychological and economic damage to the state.

Well now it's comedy time here in Oz . . .

Today, effectively half the population are in hard lockdown (12 million out of 25 million) . . . !

Nationally there are 271 active cases (with over half in hotel quarantine from people returning from overseas). People sick in hospital is at under 20 and there are 2 people on ICUs.

For comparison, I saw yesterday that that the UK had over 23,000 new cases yesterday.

Sydney (2 weeks), Brisbane with 3 cases (3 days), Perth with 2 cases (4 days), Darwin (3 days), Adelaide with ZERO cases (large-scale restrictions).

Ironically, here in Melbourne, restrictions have been easing recently after a one week lockdown that morphed into 3 weeks of lockdown (4th lockdown so far).

Now the vaccination rate has been glacial in its rollout (just under 5% fully vaccinated). However, the vulnerable have mostly all had the jab, or the opportunity to have it.

The following is an excellent summary.

Says in the first tweet - JCVI member.

As a consultant sociologist I'm hazarding a guess at.......................................................

NHS to offer boosters to all over 50s or vulnerable this autumn. What do we think of that, then? I was all for the vaccine, but I think this might be an unnecessary step for anyone without co-morbidities. The Covid killer T-cells can be pretty long lasting. Those infected in the 2003 SARS pandemic still have protection, apparently. I think I'll be in the wait-and-see camp on this one.

I had my 2nd jab on Monday and have felt absolutely no side effects. Arm wasn't even sore.

#doublehardbastard
#5Genabled

NHS to offer boosters to all over 50s or vulnerable this autumn. What do we think of that, then? I was all for the vaccine, but I think this might be an unnecessary step for anyone without co-morbidities. The Covid killer T-cells can be pretty long lasting. Those infected in the 2003 SARS pandemic still have protection, apparently. I think I'll be in the wait-and-see camp on this one.
if the boffins say I need it, and I'm offered it.....I'll have it

Seems 400 Scotland fans who attended game at Wembley infected, add to that another 900 who came down and ran around London for the day also caught it.

Say the overcrowded trains they were all stuck on for the 6 hour singsong each way was like covid's version of an all you can eat buffet.

Back