• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

Waking up late today on a pleasant sunny spring day (I couldn't be bothered watching Wolves play Spurs overnight), it is now official that I am part of a world record - today Melbourne has now been in lockdown for 235 days beating the record of Buenos Aires.

The target for us to get out of this self-inflicted hell is to have 80% of 16+ vaxxed which at best case is around mid-November so another 50+ days still to go.

I now feel that every day that I'm in a state of melancholy of just passing the minutes and hours of each day as that light at the end of the tunnel only seems to get minutely brighter by each passing day.

Normal life seems just like a fantasy that may never reappear.

Oh and to salt to the wound . . . Melbourne/Victoria experienced an earthquake yesterday - 5.8 on the richter scale.
Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 10.10.49 am.png

Last edited:
Waking up late today on a pleasant sunny spring day (I couldn't be bothered watching Wolves play Spurs overnight), it is now official that I am part of a world record - today Melbourne has now been in lockdown for 235 days beating the record of Buenos Aires.

The target for us to get out of this self-inflicted hell is to have 80% of 16+ vaxxed which at best case is around mid-November so another 50+ days still to go.

I now feel that every day that I'm in a state of melancholy of just passing the minutes and hours of each day as that light at the end of the tunnel only seems to get minutely brighter by each passing day.

Normal life seems just like a fantasy that may never reappear.

Oh and to salt to the wound . . . Melbourne/Victoria experienced an earthquake yesterday - 5.8 on the richter scale.
View attachment 4403
Have the government said when they will stop lockdown? Is it once a percentage of the population has been vaccinated?

Have the government said when they will stop lockdown? Is it once a percentage of the population has been vaccinated?
Nope - lockdowns still on the agenda even when 80% vaxxed.

Supposed to be a last resort but based on previous and current experience will be the first response.

I don’t know how much more of this I can take. And, mind you, I’m not locked out of employment (I’m retired), living in cramped accommodation, with two or three kids to home school. Or a small business person whose debts are piling while his or her doors have been barred shut to customers. Those situations of suffering are too nightmarish for me to contemplate.

My main problem is the mental anguish brought on by the sociopathic idiocy that has laid waste to civil society for eighteen months and which shows no sign of ceasing.

Last edited:
Nope - lockdowns still on the agenda even when 80% vaxxed.

Supposed to be a last resort but based on previous and current experience will be the first response.

I don’t know how much more of this I can take. And, mind you, I’m not locked out of employment (I’m retired), living in cramped accommodation, with two or three kids to home school. Or a small business person whose debts are piling while his or her doors have been barred shut to customers. Those situations of suffering are too nightmarish for me to contemplate.

My main problem is the mental anguish brought on by the sociopathic idiocy that has laid waste to civil society for eighteen months and which shows no sign of ceasing.
I can empathise with how you are feeling.

We had a 6 month lockdown here after Christmas that nearly pushed me over the edge. If it wasnt for my wife, I would have probably gone over the edge.
I wasnt taking care of myself - physically and mentally and it felt like there was nothing to look forward to ever again.

We bought a new build house last Dec and it was due to be completed in June. That has now been pushed back to Jan as a direct result of construction being hit during lockdown. My wife hates her job, I'm unhappy in mine but we are trapped because we cannot move jobs as the bank would pull the mortgage offer.

I am losing staff every single week as the employment market is very hot at the moment and I'm working 13hr days sometimes. It feels like my home isnt my home anymore.

I do feel like we are coming out of it now though. Holidays are booked, restaurants, pubs and clubs are back open, gigs are happening etc. It feels like we are on the home stretch finally.
Hopefully Melbourne will get there soon.

wholly agree on how our loved ones have pretty much saved us. Mrs Jelly is such an amazing person. I don't really deserve her, but thank heaven every day that I am so lucky to share time with her. No way I'd have got through the past 18-20 months without being sectioned were she not part of my life.

Sadly my daughter in Australia's MH has suffered. She has basically had to sort out her MiL's deteriorating health stuff (with limited support from her in-laws). Add to that lockdowns, no travel et al and she is now being treated for depression and anxiety. It leaves us feeling very helpless, anxious and frustrated.

Last edited:
Sadly my daughter in Australia's MH has suffered. She has basically had to sort out her MiL's deteriorating health stuff (with limited support from her in-laws). Add to that lockdowns, no travel et al and she is now being treated for depression and anxiety. It leves us feeling very helpless, anxious and frustrated.
I really feel for you mate and your daughter.

The impact of these incessant lockdowns will be felt for years.

I really feel for you mate and your daughter.

The impact of these incessant lockdowns will be felt for years.
We have flights already booked to Oz for 1 Dec. If SM lifts the travel embargos, we're on to it.

As I’ve been saying for a while, tensions in Melbourne are escalating, and now we are seeing some serious protests and anger, resulting in widespread chaos in the CBD.

The construction industry is now fully closed for 2 weeks, across the entire state, and the union members have said they intend to protest every day (well they have nothing else to do).

But it's all about saving lives. A virus that 99% survive and a 'vaccine' that doesn't prevent transmission.

Sadly my daughter in Australia's MH has suffered. She has basically had to sort out her MiL's deteriorating health stuff (with limited support from her in-laws). Add to that lockdowns, no travel et al and she is now being treated for depression and anxiety. It leaves us feeling very helpless, anxious and frustrated.
sorry to hear this leeds, and totally empathise with how you feel. my youngest stepdaughters MH has definitely deteriorated across the past 12 months. not helped by her inept OH of whom I won't share details or other issues yet, but we've recently experienced an escalation. And she lives round the corner, not the other side of the world.
I do hope you get to see her and support her as soon as humanly possible.

I never was an anxious person until this year. I find the smallest things now trigger my nerves, it could be loud voices outside our apartment at night (a normal thing to hear in a city), or any time I think about work. Even on weekends now I find myself thinking about work and I notice my heart rate goes up and my palms get sweaty. Started having stomach problems too.

This day 2 weeks ago I wasn't feeling right, normally I would crack open a bottle of wine at 6pm after work but I felt ill so lay down. But I kept jolting awake - that same thing that happens when you are falling asleep and you have a micro dream. I couldn't catch my breath and started having tightness in my chest.
My wife has valium and tramadol in the house so I took some of that and drifted off. I thought it was a cardiac episode but my wife thinks it was a panic attack. I've not had one before but she gets them and she says the symptoms match.

So long story short, I feel like a bit of a recluse, like my nerves are shot. It's been a bad year, one of the worst so I can totally empathise with your daughter Leedswolf.

It’s also wrong. It’s 1.7899% mortality on the current UK figures. But that’s okay Papper can round it down.

That fatality rate is if the person dies within 28 days of a positive test. It doesn't necessarily mean the person has died of covid. It's also only based on confirmed positive cases, it doesn't account for the millions of asymptomatic cases that don't result in a positive test. The actual percentage will lower than 1.7899%.

The following link is a compendium of some of the incidents involving Victorian Police attempting to uphold COVID health orders.

Now, for sure, there is a certain element of ratbags amongst the protestors, but these series of clips are truly frightening.

In regards to the police I am reminded of The Peelian Principles which Sir Robert Peel developed to define an ethical police force ie policing by consent (adopted in the UK, Canada, NZ and Australia and are still valid today).
  1. To prevent crime and disorder, as an alternative to their repression by military force and severity of legal punishment.
  2. To recognise always that the power of the police to fulfill their functions and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and behaviour, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect.
  3. To recognise always that to secure and maintain the respect and approval of the public means also the securing of the willing co-operation of the public in the task of securing observance of laws.
  4. To recognise always that the extent to which the co-operation of the public can be secured diminishes proportionately the necessity of the use of physical force and compulsion for achieving police objectives.
  5. To seek and preserve public favour, not by pandering to public opinion, but by constantly demonstrating absolutely impartial service to law, in complete independence of policy, and without regard to the justice or injustice of the substance of individual laws, by ready offering of individual service and friendship to all members of the public without regard to their wealth or social standing, by ready exercise of courtesy and friendly good humour, and by ready offering of individual sacrifice in protecting and preserving life.
  6. To use physical force only when the exercise of persuasion, advice and warning is found to be insufficient to obtain public co-operation to an extent necessary to secure observance of law or to restore order, and to use only the minimum degree of physical force which is necessary on any particular occasion for achieving a police objective.
  7. To maintain at all times a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and that the public are the police, the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence.
  8. To recognise always the need for strict adherence to police-executive functions, and to refrain from even seeming to usurp the powers of the judiciary of avenging individuals or the State, and of authoritatively judging guilt and punishing the guilty.
  9. To recognise always that the test of police efficiency is the absence of crime and disorder, and not the visible evidence of police action in dealing with them.

Last edited:
Back