• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Crystal Palace (A) build up thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know him as a person, but agree on the pitch he's not always been switched on before he starts

Clearly he's not brainless as wouldn't even be walking if he was, but given the job he has the other side has to come into this.

Will try and use other adjectives in future.

Gotta say I'm not enjoying reading Adama being called brainless/thick/stupid/pea-brained ten times a day... we get it! Also has some unpleasant (and obviously unintended) undercurrents
I think that's fair, none of us know how cerebral he is in real life, but he's not football smart and hasn't ever been even when he accentuates his positives

Traore has to start for me, regardless of how he was against Chelsea.

With Jose on the pitch now and a real threat in the air we can't be putting one of our best crossing possibilities on the bench. Tell him to play like he did last season with Raul in the box, and let him beat his man down the right as often as possible and put balls into the area.

Frustrating, because we could get Neto, Podence, Traore AND Jose all on the pitch at the same time, but it means having to play a back 4 - which we are not comfortable doing. So you end up having to sacrifice one of the front 4 to throw another defender on.

I reckon Adama is the obvious one to leave out. I’m not sure he’ll drop Podence or Neto.

Frustrating, because we could get Neto, Podence, Traore AND Jose all on the pitch at the same time, but it means having to play a back 4 - which we are not comfortable doing. So you end up having to sacrifice one of the front 4 to throw another defender on.

I reckon Adama is the obvious one to leave out. I’m not sure he’ll drop Podence or Neto.
Nah, Nuno loves Adama. I'm sure he'll want Jose and Traore to hit it off too.

I'd like a four at the back against teams like Palace myself, but maybe playing Traore, Neto and Pod together looks better on paper. I've yet to really see them combine together much, they all have a tendency to play as individuals (Pod less so).

I wouldn't be surprised if Nuno goes for three at the back after Chelsea anyway tbh. If he does, we have to find a way to get something going at the other end of the pitch.

Nah, Nuno loves Adama. I'm sure he'll want Jose and Traore to hit it off too.

I'd like a four at the back against teams like Palace myself, but maybe playing Traore, Neto and Pod together looks better on paper. I've yet to really see them combine together much, they all have a tendency to play as individuals (Pod less so).

I wouldn't be surprised if Nuno goes for three at the back after Chelsea anyway tbh. If he does, we have to find a way to get something going at the other end of the pitch.
I think there have been small moments where we've seen the potential of the three of them playing together, but it's either been ruined by one of them being injured or having to play with Fabio as the man in front of them (no disrespect to him).

If we can get a run of 8-10 games out of them together with Jose up top, I'd be interested to see how we get on there.

But I do agree, I think three at the back is here to stay for now.

If we can get a run of 8-10 games out of them together with Jose up top, I'd be interested to see how we get on there.
Definitely. There's an appeal in trying to get them all on the pitch for sure. I just have a suspicion we need someone with a slightly different skillset for the forward role just behind WJ.

Unless you play Adama at RWB with Semedo on the left...

Exactly why I picked the team that I did at the start of this thread. To get them all on the pitch against a side we always do well against and should be targeting to beat.

Rui

Semedo - Coady - Boly - RAN

Donk - Neves

Traore - Podence - Neto

Jose​

Given how good Jose supposedly is at linking play, he could even play as the AM once Raul is back playing. Those two could rotate dropping deep, and then make a front two when the ball goes wide for crosses into the box.

Will have to wait and see on that though.

Given how good Jose supposedly is at linking play, he could even play as the AM once Raul is back playing. Those two could rotate dropping deep, and then make a front two when the ball goes wide for crosses into the box.

Will have to wait and see on that though.
More likely that Raul plays behind WJ imo if we went with that approach (Nuno played 4-4-1-1 at Porto plenty).

More likely that Raul plays behind WJ imo if we went with that approach (Nuno played 4-4-1-1 at Porto plenty).
Aye.

I should clarify that I don't want either of them to play the AM position, just come deep between the lines to hold up the ball or link play before getting back into the box.

Trying to force a #9 into the #10 position is a bit too Kenny Jackett for me.

Well it'd really be a 4-4-2 with a narrow attack and one of the forwards dropping off the other.

Patricio
Semedo Boly Coady Kilman Saiss
Donk Moutinho
Traore Jose Neto

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back