• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Dominic Iorfa

But what if he does improve it, as Gallen says, in his next 30 to 40 games? It could be that he had been playing in the wrong position all along.

I haven't really noticed this poor final ball to be honest.

I think he delivers good low crosses but I'm yet to see him whip in a cross across the back of the defence, or loft a cross to the back post. I would suggest and hope that he is working on his variation of crosses in training.

I think he delivers good low crosses but I'm yet to see him whip in a cross across the back of the defence, or loft a cross to the back post. I would suggest and hope that he is working on his variation of crosses in training.

Possibly, and he also lays it off to the winger rather than crossing it, but I don't think it hindered us or not to the point I've noticed.

Possibly, and he also lays it off to the winger rather than crossing it, but I don't think it hindered us or not to the point I've noticed.

Which isn't a bad thing. Ivanovic's final ball isn't up to much either and he's not doing so bad getting up and down the pitch and letting other play whilst he knocks goals in. If Iorfa becomes more like that then great.

I haven't really noticed this poor final ball to be honest.

I was just basing this whole thing around Gallen's comments, went wide because he can run but final ball isn't there yet.

But what if he does improve it, as Gallen says, in his next 30 to 40 games? It could be that he had been playing in the wrong position all along.

It might improve, even if it doesn't the positional change can still be positive for him as he could learn new skills to take back to centre half, was just a hypothetical thing of how long do you give it? At the moment he's better than the alternatives so it doesn't make much difference but you could end up with a situation in the future where it is holding him or the team back, I imagine he'll have until the end of next season at least to try and get it nailed down, perhaps then questions might need to be asked if things are progressing.

It might improve, even if it doesn't the positional change can still be positive for him as he could learn new skills to take back to centre half, was just a hypothetical thing of how long do you give it? At the moment he's better than the alternatives so it doesn't make much difference but you could end up with a situation in the future where it is holding him or the team back, I imagine he'll have until the end of next season at least to try and get it nailed down, perhaps then questions might need to be asked if things are progressing.

I think if he's had over 18 months of football and hasn't shown progress then I'd be worried, hopefully he is the type that does extra work after training because I think it would make him a fantastic player.

I think if he's had over 18 months of football and hasn't shown progress then I'd be worried, hopefully he is the type that does extra work after training because I think it would make him a fantastic player.

I don't think it's really a worry if it hasn't happened for him by then, could just be that it's something he isn't cut out for and so he'd be better served coming back to centre half. He's a solid defender, big and quick, very comfortable on the ball and he'd give you a great platform for playing out from the back, the time he's spent at fullback would perhaps give him the extra confidence to carry the balls forwards himself in games where the midfield are struggling a bit.

I would worry because it would make me think that he hasn't worked on it enough, which means he might not keep working on other aspects of his game. He might have become casual or complacent.

He may make a fantastic centre back too, I suppose having only seen him at full back makes me want to see him keep playing there as he has done so well there. Potentially, you might think that him and Hause (who I rate as well from what I've seen so far) could be a potential partnership, and as you say give us a platform to play out from the back quickly and effectively as both are good on the ball.

I would worry because it would make me think that he hasn't worked on it enough, which means he might not keep working on other aspects of his game. He might have become casual or complacent.

He may make a fantastic centre back too, I suppose having only seen him at full back makes me want to see him keep playing there as he has done so well there. Potentially, you might think that him and Hause (who I rate as well from what I've seen so far) could be a potential partnership, and as you say give us a platform to play out from the back quickly and effectively as both are good on the ball.

A lack of improvement doesn't straight away mean a lack of work though, it could just be one of those things that he isn't particularly adept at, everyone has their flaws.

Absolutely, I just think he is technically good enough to improve at it.

He's improved loads since he first broke into the side and is learning by the game. He's got natural ability and I think we've got an absolute gem on our hands here - he was proving to be quite a handful for their left side last night, despite him being pushed further up due to the strange formation we were playing.

No issues or concerns about Iorfa whatsoever - merely excitement at how good a player he could be, and the quality he already possesses.

He's played, what, seven matches at senior level? I think it's fair of us to say he's been stellar thus far but it's probably a bit too early to seriously project the future of his development. Either way I wonder how much input he'll have into his own positioning. IIRC he's said himself he's more comfortable in the center, though that could just be due to familiarity and dissipate over time.

Yeah young players go through dips - Evans has similarly had moments this season where he's looked like he may go on to be a world beater, but it's hard for younger players to maintain that throughout a full season.

The dip is the most important part of their development really.

Last season I was worried about Evans progression, he had a good start to the season and then reacted badly to being dropped. Towards the end of the season he finally got some more games as he went a while without playing really. But he's come back this season very strongly and had another dip, which I'm less worried about now he has shown he came back better player last time.

Iorfa really doesn't look like having one, he's so consistently impressive but he will have tough games and those experiences will make him a better player.

Iorfa really doesn't look like having one, he's so consistently impressive but he will have tough games and those experiences will make him a better player.

I think he was close to hitting the dip but was taken out of the starting 11 for a few games (cue loads of cyber crying and stamping of feet).

Bit odd to talk about this dip as though it's inevitable. Maybe it is, though, I dunno. I guess a long season like in football can get to be a slog if you aren't properly prepared for it mentally.

Back