• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Espanyol (A) 27/2 2nd Leg Build Up and Match Thread

Norman Deeley

Dean Saunders's Press Officer
Reaction score
Espanyol lost 2-1 today, but they've 13 league games to go so they're by no means doomed and their game after us is Atletico at home. Have to think they'll make some changes.

Think I'd go 3-5-2 and just look to control the game through possession and then hitting them on the break if they have the temerity to attack.

Ruddy deserves a game then

Boly - Coady - Kilman
Buur - Jordao - Neves - Dendoncker - Vinagre (if he's fit enough)
Neto - Podence

Strong bench but Moutinho given the night off as he's on a yellow card

Espanyol lost 2-1 today, but they've 13 league games to go so they're by no means doomed and their game after us is Atletico at home. Have to think they'll make some changes.

Think I'd go 3-5-2 and just look to control the game through possession and then hitting them on the break if they have the temerity to attack.

Ruddy deserves a game then

Boly - Coady - Kilman
Buur - Jordao - Neves - Dendoncker - Vinagre (if he's fit enough)
Neto - Podence

Strong bench but Moutinho given the night off as he's on a yellow card

I'd be amazed if Nuno starts with Neto and Podence as a front 2, almost certainly Raul will start with either Jota or Neto. I'd like to see Jordao too, maybe he will give MGW a run too

Ruddy
Boly - Donk - Kilman
Buur - Jordao - MGW - Vini
Neto - Compana - Podence​

I'd go for something like that (I'd put Coady in and leave Boly out though).

Don't think Nuno will do quite so many changes. I wouldn't be surprised if Joao started.

It'll be our reserves versus theirs, there's not a reasonable team we can pick that'll lose 5-0. Podence, Vinagre, Jordao, Neto, MGW, Kilman, Dendoncker to all start. Would have been a decent game for Sanderson to get some experience if Kev hadn't fucked up again

Ruddy
Boly - Donk - Kilman
Buur - Jordao - MGW - Vini
Neto - Compana - Podence​

I'd be happy with that as I'll be clattered and just celebrating a Wolves win in the EL.

7 subs from today will play. Be amazed if Campana does. Burr might but think it’s unlikely. Jordao no idea, still don’t really know how good he is.

Ruddy
Donk Coady Kilman
Doc MGW Saiss Vini
Neto Raul Podence

Saiss and Donk might swap. Might play MGW as some kind of false 9 and play someone else in midfield.

3 or 4 changes max I would think. Ruddy Kilman Vinagre Podence all in line for a start.

Rui will start and I doubt the back three will change from today (though Kilman may take Saiss' spot).

Vinagre will definitely start, especially after the Jonny injury and perhaps starts for Neto, Donck and Adama.

Rui
Doc Boly Coady Saiss Vinagre
Neves Donck
Adama Raul Neto

Rui will start and I doubt the back three will change from today (though Kilman may take Saiss' spot).

Vinagre will definitely start, especially after the Jonny injury and perhaps starts for Neto, Donck and Adama.

Rui
Neves Donck
Adama Raul Neto

Don't think it will be far from that line up, may be 3 in midfield with either Adama or Neto making way?

The squad seems to have a bit more depth now . . . I'd still be keen to see Campana play from the start, and surely Podence will play as well.

Why thank you young man, I'd promised to be nice to people on my return.
5a02c495fd49853ab265e1c6b6752845.jpg

;)

Rui
Neves Donck
Adama Raul Neto

Can't see any sense in Raul starting - injury for him would be catastrophic. Ditto Moutinho on a yellow can sit it out. No point in him missing first leg of last 16

Can't see any sense in Raul starting - injury for him would be catastrophic. Ditto Moutinho on a yellow can sit it out. No point in him missing first leg of last 16

3 yellows for a suspension in the Europa. so Mout shouldn't getting booked and miss the next game

3 yellows for a suspension in the Europa. so Mout shouldn't getting booked and miss the next game

That player for them who nutted Jota was on a yellow before the game. He's banned for next game I believe.

That player for them who nutted Jota was on a yellow before the game. He's banned for next game I believe.

My error then. I presumed Group Stage yellow cards were wiped out for the knock out stages, it appears that happens at the QF stage

Definitive answer:

49.01 As a rule, a player who is sent off the field of play is suspended for the next match
in a UEFA club competition (i.e. UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League or
UEFA Super Cup). In case of serious offences, the UEFA Control, Ethics and
Disciplinary Body is entitled to augment this punishment, including by extending
it to other competitions.
49.02 In case of repeated cautions:
a. before the group stage, a player is suspended for the next competition match
after three cautions in three different matches, as well as after the fifth
caution;
b. from the first match in the group stage, a player is suspended for the next
competition match after three cautions in three different matches, as well as
following any subsequent odd-numbered caution (fifth, seventh, ninth, etc.).
49.03 Single yellow cards and pending suspensions are always carried forward either to
the next stage of the competition or to the UEFA Champions League in the
current season.
49.04 Exceptionally, all yellow cards and pending yellow-card suspensions expire on
completion of the play-offs. They are not carried forward to the group stage. In
addition, all yellow cards expire on completion of the quarter-finals. They are not
carried forward to the semi-finals.
49.05 Cautions and pending yellow-card suspensions from the competition or the UEFA
Champions League expire at the end of the season

Here's the link to the regs if anyone wants to check anything else https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFile.../Regulations/02/60/88/40/2608840_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Going off Instagram, Neves has either decided to go Porto for 24 hours or has Thursday off.

Back