• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Espanyol (A) 27/2 2nd Leg Build Up and Match Thread

I don't think Nuno will make this many changes but given it's a virtual dead rubber and we have a very big game vs Spurs to come (we'll have played twice since they last played)...I'd go with this.

----------------------------Patricio-----------------------

------------Dendoncker----Coady-----Kilman---------

Doherty-------Gibbs-White-----Jordao--------Vinagre

--------------Traore-------Campana-----Podence--------------

Stick Raul/Jota/Neves/Boly/Saiss on the bench just in case but they really shouldn't be needed.

Definitely not risking Joao with that yellow card situation, stay at home wee man.

Kilman for Saiss, maybe, but I don't think Nuno will mess about with the back three otherwise. He's pretty conservative, and his first priority will be not to concede. I don't think he'll risk Traore prior to Saturday, either. If his shoulder is likely to be a problem I can see him being used more sparingly for the rest of the season. I do hope he gives Campana and Podence some decent minutes, though. I expect Neto and either Raul or Jota to start.

Neto, Campana & Podence as the front three is more than enough to hurt them. Would be good to see how Campana is shaping up and Podence needs the gametime.

Behind that, I'm really not too bothered whether Nuno changes every player or none at all. But I Suspect Kilman, Ruddy, Vinagre & Gibbs White will almost certainly start.

I would assume Neto and Podence will start in which case it’ll have to be 3-4-3. Wouldn’t surprise me if Jota started in Rauls role. Vinagre will surely start too, I wonder if he’ll risk Buur in order to give Doherty a rest

I'd go

Ruddy
Burr Marques Otasowie Kilman Vinagre
Jordaio Gibbs-White Perry
Podence Neto

Give Traore a few minutes at some point too, want to keep him fresh for impact but hoping he doesn't start against Spurs.

Probably still beat them with that side too

Absolutely no chance Nuno is going that inexperienced, even with the tie more or less done already.

Absolutely no chance Nuno is going that inexperienced, even with the tie more or less done already.
I will be very surprised if we make more than 6 changes for the tie.

Nuno doesn't normally throw 11 reserves at it whatever the game position - will have some changes with a strong core of regulars.

Possibility that Ruddy will be allowed a run out

Back 3 - Boly only back for 4 games so doesn't need to be rested & Coady will play just because he does. Kilman may be the third

Vinagre likely to be on show given that there is no point pushing Jonny after having to come off on Sunday & I wouldn't play Moutinho (though I'm not Nuno so he may) - suspect we will start strong with Doherty - Dendoncker - Neves midfield & have Jordao & MGW on the bench and give them a chance in the second half.

Up front suspect that Neto will start. As to Podence & Campana it would only ever be one of those as he won't want 2 players with no or very limited first team action starting at the same time.

Im pretty sure we will go almost full strenght, although I would love to see some key players rested, especially raul and moutinho

I’d like to see at least some of the squad players get a start - Kilman, MGW, Vinagre, Neto and Podence being the main ones - with 3 youngsters on the bench to bring on if were cruising - Campana, marques and Loiodice for example.

Nuno doesn't normally throw 11 reserves at it whatever the game position - will have some changes with a strong core of regulars.

Unless its a local derby in a cup we now consider ourselves too big for (after finishing in the top half of the Premier League once!)

Think it'll be something like

Patricio
Boly-Coady-Kilman
Doherty-Dendoncker-Neves-Saiss-Vinagre
Jimenez-Neto​

Got an odd feeling he won't go 3-4-3, just manage the game and hit them on the counter. If they (Espanyol) still haven't scored after an hour or so would expect decent runouts for Podence, maybe MGW. I'd be delighted to see Campana or Loiodice or one of the other youths but just not sure it'll happen yet.

Unless its a local derby in a cup we now consider ourselves too big for (after finishing in the top half of the Premier League once!)

dont get me started on that please!

I still feel a little sick that Villa get a wembley day out this week.

I really want Podence to get a run out for this one - rest Moutinho.

Lewis Richards wasn’t in the U23s squad, wonder if he might have travelled for this game

Case of Coronavirus confirmed in Barca - that'll bugger the season if the team has to self-isolate for 14 days

with the Espanyol players and fans already having been over here, if Barcelona gets another couple the whole lot goes tits up i would think.
I lived in Tenerife for 4 years and that whole area where the Hotel has been quarantined is a tourist mecca in the winter months, think this will get much much bigger with the amount of flights in and out at this time of year.

with the Espanyol players and fans already having been over here, if Barcelona gets another couple the whole lot goes tits up i would think.
I lived in Tenerife for 4 years and that whole area where the Hotel has been quarantined is a tourist mecca in the winter months, think this will get much much bigger with the amount of flights in and out at this time of year.

I have been looking at the virus issue for the past weeks with the doctors at work. This is not going away, it is already beyond control, just now a matter of slowing the spread as much as possible until warmer weather means the virus likely to survive a shorter period (although as a new virus this is not a given). And then development of a vaccine to get it under proper control....

The main concern amongst our doctors is non-reporting in Africa and South America... Meaning transport hubs there will be spreading the virus and it is probably already out of control.

That said, fatality rates, while not yet totally clear, are no worse than flu... This may change, but to put it in perspective, in Europe this spring the predominant flu strain is H1N1, you remember Swine flu? Yep, that one... and now we are living with it as a part of the normal flu season....

Could go on about flu deaths each year, but just trying to make the point to anyone thinking of restricting their travel plans for European games, holidays or anything else - don’t let the press blow this out of proportion...

I have been traveling this last couple of weeks, and although I do have a dry cough right now, I put it down to air conditioning and re-processed air on airplanes.... :)

Back