• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Everton 1-2 Wolves: Verdict Thread

I get that, but with Maupay up front, the centre halves are the most obvious set pieces options, in the case of Mina it's pretty much all he does so putting our centre halves on them just seems pretty clear

No one is a certainty and no one is completely safe in the bottom half.
You’d still say
Southampton
Forrest
Wolves
Everton
Leeds
Bournemouth
Are the prime candidates, others are more outsiders.

Indeed, how often have we seen Adama get in a position like that and then stop to pointlessly beat his man again?

In his defence, he doesn't ever have 3/4 to aim at when he's ready to cross.

I can’t figure out why Bueno went to ground if I’m honest. Didn’t look like Mina shoved him all that hard and you’re not getting the foul for that unless it’s blatant.

On watching the highlights can someone explain the logic of Bueno marking Mina and Moutinho Tarkowski for their goal? I know we put out a small side, but there are still better options than that. Was it zonal gone wrong, or just that stupid?

It was one of those hybrid systems where centre halves are zonal to attack crosses and players like Moutinho and Bueno are deployed as blockers of sorts and go man to man.

Whoever had the front post zone didn't do their job.

In his defence, he doesn't ever have 3/4 to aim at when he's ready to cross.
Agree tbf. Often I think his crossing has been done a disservice by the lack of targets. Hopefully that can change under Lop.

You’d hope it was a miscommunication of responsibility rather than who they were meant to be marking. Makes little sense.

Didn’t look zonal to me fwiw.

It was I miss mash of man and zonal marking. The line on the 6 yard box marking ‘zones’ and then others picking up men.

Anyway, no way should Moutinho and bueno be marking there biggest threats from set pieces, irrelevant of whether it’s zonal or man marking.

I mentioned that during the match day thread. Also, all our bigger players we defending the centre and back post area on the 6 yard box. Zonal marking at its finest…
Was the way under Nuno too, big players sit as free men in crucial areas and then the others are meant to just get in the way more so than offer a genuine challenge for the ball, allowing your big men to have the advantage of a free jump in the areas you really don't want the ball to be.

Problem is, you have to put this theory into practice and it's so easy to circumvent, by just delivering into areas away from the big defenders and letting your own big men dominate the blockers in the air. A problem that's emphasised when the blockers haven't got a nasty bone in their bodies and roll out the red carpet for any run at the ball.

It was one of those hybrid systems where centre halves are zonal to attack crosses and players like Moutinho and Bueno are deployed as blockers of sorts and go man to man.

Whoever had the front post zone didn't do their job.
Just seen this.

What he said.

Agree tbf. Often I think his crossing has been done a disservice by the lack of targets. Hopefully that can change under Lop.
With him being an erratic crosser, asking him to hit one player is never going to end well.

More people to aim for, the more likely he finds a target

No doubt, just thinking of a number of occasions where he’s put a ball into a dangerous area only for nobody to be there.

If that's the case then it needs binning as goals like yesterday's were happening every other week in Nuno's final season. Not many high water marks of the Lage era, but fixing our set piece defending was one of them.

If that's the case then it needs binning as goals like yesterday's were happening every other week in Nuno's final season. Not many high water marks of the Lage era, but fixing our set piece defending was one of them.

We were operating the same system under Lage. Costa had the front post and he was characteristically slow to react, Raul used to do that and he's phenomenally good at it, even now.

We were operating the same system under Lage. Costa had the front post and he was characteristically slow to react, Raul used to do that and he's phenomenally good at it, even now.
Think the biggest difference under Lage/Roberts, with other set pieces more so than corners, was the position rather than the overall concept. They weren't defending as deep and giving Sa more responsibility for the central area, encouraging him to come for crosses as much as possible rather than rely on the outfield players. Obviously much more difficult to create the space to facilitate that approach on corners when you don't have the offside rule in your favour though.

Was gonna say, last year we had quite a good blend of key areas defended zonally with more responsibility for our better headers of the ball

No doubt, just thinking of a number of occasions where he’s put a ball into a dangerous area only for nobody to be there.
His best run was when him and Raul struck up that partnership and hit a hot streak. Since then, we have had to deal with different strikers, set ups continuously. From Fabio, to Jose, to Costa, Podence in a false 9 etc. it’s hard to strike up a partnership, or get used to a players movements with things chopping and changing all the time.

This is in no way a ‘Adama is blameless’ take, but it’s no coincidence that when the team was settled, he was more effective.

Hopefully once LOP gets players in her wants and set up, and has time to fully assess we will have a more settled team allowing players to build relationships.

Whether Adama is part of that remains to be seen, but I think LOP seems pretty keen on him.

Pros and Cons to all kinds of set piece situations.

We went near man for man at Spurs start of season and a simple near post flick and double move from Kane sees him have the simplest of headers. Zonally we will have had someone standing there to simply head that away or at least challenge it. So I don’t neccessairily think one is better than the other, you just have to adapt it to which players you have and who the opposition have.

Looking back at yesterdays, Bueno obviously get shrugged too easily but Costa gets tangled with Hwang so he doesn’t get out to it when maybe otherwise he would/should.

Been mentioned a couple of times but that save from Sa when it’s 1-1 was absolutely massive. Gordon scores there and we lose the game. Hoping Sa kicks on towards his levels of last season now.

Back