• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Everton Verdict Thread

FYI, aldi are doing a BOGOF on extra large Pampers...

My two penneth.

Today had squat to do with the Europa league. We didn't look tired, jaded or anything else similar. Our best defenders had their worst games for some time. Vinagre for all his attacking prowess his end product was poor today and defensively Richarlison had his number. OK for the first half Traore did the same to Digne. He did nothing second half. Jota did nothing when he came on. Jiminez, who many were asking to be subbed off, scored after Cutrone got subbed. I though Pat was a plus today, one of very few. Wily had a brain fart. Idiotic challenge on a second yellow. Neves has been anonymous too often. Donk made the wrong decision a couple of times, Rui and Coady screwed up parks style and we were chasing the game. But defensively we collectively sucked for the first time in a long while. We still had enough chances to have taken something from the game.

The Europa league will impact later in the autumn.We have played ten games so its as glorified pre season. And we have played three teams all capable of being top 6 and only lost today through our own ability to shoot ourselves in the foot.

We have lost once in ten. If the stats are to be believed 55 points gets European football. We may well draw more games this year but we have just lost to Everton away not Huddersfield at home so I can't get bent out of shape.

Midfield didn't fire properly today, but as already said playing 2 attacking wingbacks against one of the 'better' Premier teams was a step too far.

Neither are fully defensively there (Adama because he's never done it before this season & Vinagre is young & still learning). Put too much pressure on the back 3 which they didn't cope with.

Int break now, but would rather that any of ours selected for National teams had strategic knocks to get them out of it for this period.

Some positives; Had Cutrone's two good chances been scored (and he did everything right, Everton got lucky once and Pickford produced a brilliant save) who knows how the game might have gone. Two saves by Rui in the second half were fantastic. Wolves continually made their way back into the game after going behind twice.
BUT, we cannot allow teams such freedom in our own half. Having both Traore and Vinagre as wing-backs meant that our usually compact defence was outnumbered on occasion. In addition, mental tiredness, e.g., Boly, Dendocker, Raul, etc. exacerbated a particularly shoddy performance. At great risk, I'm going to suggest that Nuno was mentally tired too. Cutrone and Saiss were two players with drive, getting about and likely to make an impact, and yet he subbed them. I really think the tenth game in one month was one game too far for most of our players and the ones included today (with the exception of Cutrone and Saiss) did not justify their selection. Let's hope the international break will freshen up some very tired legs.

My two penneth.

Today had squat to do with the Europa league. We didn't look tired, jaded or anything else similar. Our best defenders had their worst games for some time. Vinagre for all his attacking prowess his end product was poor today and defensively Richarlison had his number. OK for the first half Traore did the same to Digne. He did nothing second half. Jota did nothing when he came on.

Pretty much it.

Horrible having a crap performance and result when a 2 week break starts. We have put pressure on ourselves a bit and we need to put on a performance v Chelsea. After watching them play, we can't afford to defend like we did today against them and we can't afford to have another game where we make so many poor decisions in the final 3rd.

On another day we don't self-implode for the first, the Cutrone bullet goes in and we're all happy bunnies. I feel as though I've maybe got a bit too carried away with our runaway success over the last two seasons and been expecting too much from this one. Maybe Fosun did too, thinking our small squad could rule the world. This is like a reality check. I'm sure we'll still get where we want to be; it just might take a few more seasons than I'd hoped. (Not that I'm writing this one off - more managing my expectations. I still think we'll do very well in Europe.) Fosun did have a ten-year plan, after all.

You can't do that now. Their physios/Drs have to check them over.

Blame Ryan Giggs for that shit.

Only really Raul who is going long haul as Mexico play 2 games in the USA

Blame Ryan Giggs for that shit.

Only really Raul who is going long haul as Mexico play 2 games in the USA
Hindsight being 20/20 Raul goes off with a concussion after scoring

It looked to me like our biggest issue defensively was that neither Boly nor Bennett trusted Vinagre and Traore, respectively. Boly has a tendency to get sucked out of position anyway, but Bennett uncharacteristically had the same issue today. Whether Everton planned to do it before they saw our team or not, they quickly identified that Bennett and Boly were coming further away from Coady than usual to assist Adama and Vinagre. Digne and Coleman were pushed so far up that they were constantly overloading those areas, and then we did not track late runs from the midfield properly.

Credit to Everton for exploiting a weakness, but they started doing it so early on and we didn't seem to adjust for it at any point.

That’s how we play EVERY SINGLE GAME. Boly and Bennett ALWAYS push wide and Neves drips alongside Coady. Every. Single. Game. Yet you expect Neves to run games from a centre back position.

How long do we give it before we can say we’ve actually got a problem? At the moment, the fact we’re only 4 games in is being used as the excuse. Whilst I agree it’s too early to say we’re in a relegation fight, we’ve been well below par every game so far - and comfortably beating sides from Northen Ireland and Armenia isn’t going to change my opinion.

Totally trust Nuno, but he’s got some work to do over the international break, and that’s going to be difficult seen as a number of our players won’t be around.

That’s how we play EVERY SINGLE GAME. Boly and Bennett ALWAYS push wide and Neves drips alongside Coady. Every. Single. Game. Yet you expect Neves to run games from a centre back position.
Not nearly to the extent they did today, which is obvious if you think about it.

I expect Neves to play well no matter his role. He hasn't been. End of.

How long do we give it before we can say we’ve actually got a problem? At the moment, the fact we’re only 4 games in is being used as the excuse. Whilst I agree it’s too early to say we’re in a relegation fight, we’ve been well below par every game so far - and comfortably beating sides from Northen Ireland and Armenia isn’t going to change my opinion.

Totally trust Nuno, but he’s got some work to do over the international break, and that’s going to be difficult seen as a number of our players won’t be around.

Seem to have forgotten beating Torino twice in that...

We had a problem today but I doubt that problem will happen in the next 10 or so games. I am concerned about our decision making in the final 3rd though. 2 league games in a row we have come up short in that area

To add to your flounce, we've only lost 1 game this season. I don't see a team only losing 1 game in 6 (if you discount the easy games) as a problem.

It's just your typical hysterical over reaction to us not winning.

To add to your flounce, we've only lost 1 game this season. I don't see a team only losing 1 game in 6 (if you discount the easy games) as a problem.

It's just your typical hysterical over reaction to us not winning.
I think the problem is that in none of the four league games have we ever really looked like winning. We played well in the second half against Leicester but beyond that it's not unfair to say that we've been below par domestically. Couple that with how good we look in the Europa at the moment and it just adds to the confusion/frustration.

Back