• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Everton Verdict Thread

Not nearly to the extent they did today, which is obvious if you think about it.

I expect Neves to play well no matter his role. He hasn't been. End of.

No it’s not fucking obvious Alan, the problem today was Traore isn’t a defender and Vinagre is not ready for what we need. Don’t tell me how they play at the back when you never sit at a game and see the bigger picture. I don’t like rolling that out but man you are talking through your hoop and I’m fucked if I’ll let you tell me what I see with my own eyes at Molineux.

No it’s not fucking obvious Alan, the problem today was Traore isn’t a defender and Vinagre is not ready for what we need. Don’t tell me how they play at the back when you never sit at a game and see the bigger picture. I don’t like rolling that out but man you are talking through your hoop and I’m fucked if I’ll let you tell me what I see with my own eyes at Molineux.
Don't like rolling it out, but fuck it, you'll power through.

I know how we play and I know Everton exploited it today. And I know Boly and Bennett left Coady more exposed than usual by virtue of playing wider OUT OF possession as well as in it.

Don't talk to me as if I'm blind. I know what my eyes see just as well as you do. And you can fucking well find a way to disagree with my assessment without jumping on your God damn high horse.

Was a bit concerned when I saw Traore and Vinagre in the same team. Disappointed with the result but more concerned with our defending in most of our games so far, last season we looked far more solid, we look shaky and sloppy atm. Our defensive solidity is crucial to the way we play out from the back, everything looks rushed and panic stricken. To me we don't look so much physically jaded as mentally fragile, wonder if its more lack of preparation time?
As it is, the table is still irrelevant imo but we need to sort out that defence and get a win on the board.

Not nearly to the extent they did today, which is obvious if you think about it.

I expect Neves to play well no matter his role. He hasn't been. End of.

Same plan as always it didn't change today. Saiss should've been the man to drop in to those holes today and he didn't really do it well.

On your tracking of runners in midfield, we don't do this at all. Nuno's structured tactics are of a zonal nature so men get passed on and pressed as a unit rather than individuals tracking runners. This structure allows us to capitalise on bad passes or touches and break at pace as our midfielders know exactly where they should be.

It didn't work very well today and as a whole our ball retention from mistakes has been poor. Too many hacked balls forward when normally we're better than that.

The only players who do track runners are our wing backs and even then when they hit a certain point Donck or Mou cover over if the ball is wide.

I think this is where we miss Doc the most as whilst he isn't the greatest defender in the world his positioning is very good and his passing and ball retention are excellent in his own half. Adama doesn't have that yet.

Don't like rolling it out, but fuck it, you'll power through.

Too right I fucking will. You’ve proven time and again lately that you know next to nothing about football and I’m fucked if I’m having you tell me the opposite.

Alan said:
I know how we play and I know Everton exploited it today. And I know Boly and Bennett left Coady more exposed than usual by virtue of playing wider OUT OF possession as well as in it.

Absolute horseshit. Utter fucking horseshit.

Alan said:
Don't talk to me as if I'm blind. I know what my eyes see just as well as you do. And you can fucking well find a way to disagree with my assessment without jumping on your God damn high horse.

I’m not talking to you like you’re blind, I’m talking to you like you’re fucking stupid.

Maybe some of you need to stop thinking that we are as good as you think we are.

Same plan as always it didn't change today. Saiss should've been the man to drop in to those holes today and he didn't really do it well.

On your tracking of runners in midfield, we don't do this at all. Nuno's structured tactics are of a zonal nature so men get passed on and pressed as a unit rather than individuals tracking runners. This structure allows us to capitalise on bad passes or touches and break at pace as our midfielders know exactly where they should be.

It didn't work very well today and as a whole our ball retention from mistakes has been poor. Too many hacked balls forward when normally we're better than that.

The only players who do track runners are our wing backs and even then when they hit a certain point Donck or Mou cover over if the ball is wide.

I think this is where we miss Doc the most as whilst he isn't the greatest defender in the world his positioning is very good and his passing and ball retention are excellent in his own half. Adama doesn't have that yet.
Fair point about the tracking of runners, I would certainly like us to have adjusted for this game as they were creating chances from those runs very early and we just never seemed to come to grips with it.

It looked to me as if Saïss was having to spend most of his time trying to cover the gap between Boly and Vinagre on the left which unfortunately left Coady and Bennett more exposed than we likely expected. In this case I would have expected Neves to plug that gap as he generally plays deeper than Dendoncker but he just never really did.

It almost felt like we were playing down a man at times. Iwobi, Richarlison, and Sigurdsson just had too much space to operate.

I think the problem is that in none of the four league games have we ever really looked like winning. We played well in the second half against Leicester but beyond that it's not unfair to say that we've been below par domestically. Couple that with how good we look in the Europa at the moment and it just adds to the confusion/frustration.

So we should've beaten Leicester, could've beaten Utd and could've taken all 3 points today had we not defended like muppets.

It isn't concerning me at all. We haven't hit our straps yet and we've only lost 1 game.

If we continue to ship daft goals I'd be looking at the defenders and defending as a unit but as a whole I don't think we've been as bad as people are making out.

Too right I fucking will. You’ve proven time and again lately that you know next to nothing about football and I’m fucked if I’m having you tell me the opposite.

I’m not talking to you like you’re blind, I’m talking to you like you’re fucking stupid.
Go ahead, then. If you can't find a way to disagree respectfully and instead have to pick a fight, that's your failure, not mine.

Isn't it time for a pause?

So we should've beaten Leicester, could've beaten Utd and could've taken all 3 points today had we not defended like muppets.

It isn't concerning me at all. We haven't hit our straps yet and we've only lost 1 game.

If we continue to ship daft goals I'd be looking at the defenders and defending as a unit but as a whole I don't think we've been as bad as people are making out.
I'm not sure I'd go as far as to say we SHOULD have beaten Leicester, but it was certainly our best performance.

I'm not worried about relegation or anything like that, personally, just exceptionally frustrated that we are currently so short of the effectiveness that we all know this group of players and coaches can achieve.

Fair point about the tracking of runners, I would certainly like us to have adjusted for this game as they were creating chances from those runs very early and we just never seemed to come to grips with it.

It looked to me as if Saïss was having to spend most of his time trying to cover the gap between Boly and Vinagre on the left which unfortunately left Coady and Bennett more exposed than we likely expected. In this case I would have expected Neves to plug that gap as he generally plays deeper than Dendoncker but he just never really did.

It almost felt like we were playing down a man at times. Iwobi, Richarlison, and Sigurdsson just had too much space to operate.

Down a man? Neves got through a mountain of work but he and Saiss looked like they've never played with each other before. I thought Saiss was poor by his standards and as he is a defensive midfielder he should take a fair chunk of the blame for not helping Vinagre out for their second goal.

I thought Donck was the poorest of the 3 in midfield today, a total passenger and his attempts at winning and keeping the ball were atrocious.

The three players you picked out all got in behind our wing backs, that's where the midfielder should be getting across if Bennett/ Boly are beaten and the wing back is recovering. All 3 midfielders failed at that task today.

Nuno went attacking and it almost paid off but without Jonny and Doc we are a poorer team.

We deserved to lose today, our defending was awful. The first was just beyond shite, No idea what Coady was playing at.

That kind of thing happens though, although Boly not defending the winner and then getting himself sent off was just as bad.

It was the lack of passing accuracy and general lumping of the ball that pissed me off most - Mina and Keane are absolutely shite, all they can do it head it - and we just lumped it at their heads all game. Awful.

I have faith that Nuno will sort it out though, he has the track record of doing it, so will look forward to improved performances.

Down a man? Neves got through a mountain of work but he and Saiss looked like they've never played with each other before. I thought Saiss was poor by his standards and as he is a defensive midfielder he should take a fair chunk of the blame for not helping Vinagre out for their second goal.

I thought Donck was the poorest of the 3 in midfield today, a total passenger and his attempts at winning and keeping the ball were atrocious.

The three players you picked out all got in behind our wing backs, that's where the midfielder should be getting across if Bennett/ Boly are beaten and the wing back is recovering. All 3 midfielders failed at that task today.
Can't really disagree with most of this tbf.

We need to take a moment to look at how far we have come in the last few years.

This is only the 3rd yr of proper challenge since the takeover (don't count the first year as they only arrived just before the season start & didn't have the management structure that they wanted).

Target was Premier in 3 years - we are not only there, but also in Europe in that timescale. There will be bumps on this road and a time where we may stand still a bit whilst we consolidate - we are not a bad side & can improve from here, but it won't happen overnight.

We all get frustrated when we don't play as well as we can - it will come if we keep the faith. This is still a shedload better than it's been for a long time - be happy.

We deserved to lose today, our defending was awful. The first was just beyond shite, No idea what Coady was playing at.

That kind of thing happens though, although Boly not defending the winner and then getting himself sent off was just as bad.

It was the lack of passing accuracy and general lumping of the ball that pissed me off most - Mina and Keane are absolutely shite, all they can do it head it - and we just lumped it at their heads all game. Awful.

I have faith that Nuno will sort it out though, he has the track record of doing it, so will look forward to improved performances.

The U23's were also humping the ball forward on Friday night. It was terrible to watch and it seems the tactics have been replicated today.

I'm sure we will rectify it and get the ball on the deck again.

Defensive carcrashes will happen, though rui pulled off three world class saves too. My biggest worry is that we've stopped playing football. Last season the long ball tye a wingback in space was how we stretched teams, but now we're playing long to Raul as he pulls wide. It's horrible to watch. The fluid movement off the ball and one touch passing seems to have gone, and that's the big concern. We really missed Doc, Jota and Joao today. They're three of our best five footballers when we're purring. Today we were just Stoke.

As an aside, Cutrone was unlucky, worked hard and had a couple of good efforts. Boly should get a right fucking for that brain dead second yellow.

But this is ultimately all down to poor recruitment levels in the summer. We got away with having a small squad last season, but it's certainly catching up with us now

My two penneth.

Today had squat to do with the Europa league. We didn't look tired, jaded or anything else similar. Our best defenders had their worst games for some time. Vinagre for all his attacking prowess his end product was poor today and defensively Richarlison had his number. OK for the first half Traore did the same to Digne. He did nothing second half. Jota did nothing when he came on.

Agree with this part. Traore tore Digne to pieces for the first goal and was very good for the first 20, but quiet after that. Other side of the pitch so my view wasn't the best, but just didn't seem like Traore was as inclined to get at Digne as he had early on.

Feel like all the criticism of Neves is very harsh, he was our best midfielder today of the three quite easily. Was deep a lot yes but he did well at times breaking up Everton attacks and he did not have many options for the long pass, and when the ball was recycled to Saiss/Dendoncker it was typically lost fast.

Boly's second yellow at the end was so stupid, deserves a real bollocking for that. Totally asleep for the third goal as well, he had no idea that Richarlison was anywhere near and failed to anticipate the challenge. Very below par game from him, and Dendoncker was shocking. Rui made a fantastic save at 3-2 but not sure whether he could have done better for the second goal. First goal he could certainly do better with the pass but Coady makes it very difficult for him with a terrible backpass. Cutrone probably the brightest player, his first touch is sensational. A goal scored from a Ryan Bennett throw too! How often does that happen?

Overall we deserved to lose, defending was poor and we simply were not good enough. Next game can't come soon enough, need to bounce back from this.

Alan is playing you lot as a puppet. Got you lot in knots, clear to see hes WUMMING you lot and you keep on biting.

Oh and btw I caught a Charmander on the centre circle at Goodison today playing Pokemon Go... :)

Alan is playing you lot as a puppet. Got you lot in knots, clear to see hes WUMMING you lot and you keep on biting.

If only I really was that clever.

Back