• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Everton Verdict Thread

Doc doesn't create yesterday's goal, he doesn't let Iwobi score either though
I'd be sceptical about any of the wingbacks routinely coming that narrow to defend a cross from the other side. The blame for that one lies heavily with the other side of the defence allowing the space for the cross to come in for me.

Troare is stood next to him a couple of seconds before the cross comes in. It's actually an element of Doherty's game he's improved considerably. I'm confident he would have tracked the run

Troare is stood next to him a couple of seconds before the cross comes in. It's actually an element of Doherty's game he's improved considerably. I'm confident he would have tracked the run
If Boly hadn't gone walk about he covers the near post like Coady was trying to which would make Bennett the spare man at the back post to pick up Iwobi when he comes central. The overload down the left shags everything, Traore maybe could've come in with Iwobi and saved the day but ordinarily I'd have expected other people to be doing that job not covering for someone else.

Whilst he is more likely to have than Traoré, there were multiple examples last season of Doc not tracking runners

Adama was 20 yards away from Iwobi when it went in, it was awful from him. Whether he would have stopped it or not is not the issue really. But we're asking a career 4-4-2 winger to learn on the job.

Doc plays very differently to Adama both on and off the ball and we haven't adapted well to that so far.

Adama was 20 yards away from Iwobi when it went in, it was awful from him. Whether he would have stopped it or not is not the issue really. But we're asking a career 4-4-2 winger to learn on the job.

Doc plays very differently to Adama both on and off the ball and we haven't adapted well to that so far.
I'm not convinced he'll ever get it, too alien to him. Raul gets his booking as he misses the off the ball run. There's a time to play him and yesterday we didn't have a choice, but for me he can't start against teams looking to attack, certainly at the moment and maybe never.

I'm not convinced he'll ever get it, too alien to him. Raul gets his booking as he misses the off the ball run. There's a time to play him and yesterday we didn't have a choice, but for me he can't start against teams looking to attack, certainly at the moment and maybe never.

He cost a lot of money and we have nowhere else to put him.

I don't really care that we kept him over Cav and/or Costa but I don't think long term that any of the three have any place in this team.

I think we can get away with playing one of Vinagre or Adama against more attacking teams, just not both together. Not yet, anyway.

He cost a lot of money and we have nowhere else to put him.

I don't really care that we kept him over Cav and/or Costa but I don't think long term that any of the three have any place in this team.
Offensively he's improved this season beyond my expectations and defensively he's no coward, he'll make a tackle or challenge for a header when fronted by them, but he just doesn't read the game against teams looking to run off or get in behind him.

He's made huge improvements in his game since last season, he deserves the chance to continue that progression.

After what Nuno has achieved with both Doc and Coady, I wouldn't give up on Traore just yet. He has made some improvement this season, certainly in an attacking sense, but I think he has got a lot of work to do on the defensive side of his role. Whether or not he has the capability to turn this around, I'm not convinced at the moment, but I'd let him have a little more time before writing him off completely.

Its interesting that as soon as anything goes slightly wrong we revert to talking about how Adama's not good enough.. most people, not of this forum, would say he's easily been our best player so far this season. As TT pointed out above you could partially blame him for their second goal, but pretty much only he could create our first goal

I think we can get away with playing one of Vinagre or Adama against more attacking teams, just not both together. Not yet, anyway.

Agree with this, even last season it was was very rare we went all out attacking on both flanks - Doc was almost always the most attacking, allowing Bennett to shuffle across and Neves to drop deep.

We definitely look weaker at the back without Doherty but I think that's being very, very harsh on Traore who has been our most dangerous player so far this season. He has improved way beyond I thought he would so absolutely fair play to him. There's still work to do with him of course but no question for me that we should persevere with him for now. Happy to be proved wrong about him attacking-wise.

Its interesting that as soon as anything goes slightly wrong we revert to talking about how Adama's not good enough.. most people, not of this forum, would say he's easily been our best player so far this season. As TT pointed out above you could partially blame him for their second goal, but pretty much only he could create our first goal

I don't think he's anywhere near the threat Doc is and he doesn't have the intelligence for RWB yet.

Doc is clearly better defensively but he offers so much more to the midfield. Donck looks lost without him and Doc provides a good passing option. The interplay and movement off the ball is underrated and Doc is a very real threat at goal in open play aerially as well as on the deck.

Adama is pure pace and trickery. Nothing else and I think the whole team is struggling to adjust.

I prefer Doc to Adama and I never thought I'd prefer Doc to anybody.

Said similar at the tail end of the match thread. It's less a knock on Traore, more recognition that he plays the role differently from Doc and we just haven't adapted/adjusted yet.

I'm not sure anyone could argue we've not really shown the fluidity of play that we had last season so far - I don't think it's solely down to this one issue (keeping the same starting XI last year for so long definitely assisted with it, and we've not really had a settled XI yet this year) but it's definitely playing a part.

Traore's done well for the most part, and again I don't think most would argue that. But with Doc I think we'd be playing better overall right now. Greater than the sum of the parts, and all that.

I think Adama has come on leaps and bounds and more power to him, but he ain't there ye defensively. Even in the extended highlights he is ball watching as his man gets away from him with ease. But i actually believe he will get it.

Back