• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

[FA Cup Quarter-Final] Wolves 2-3 Coventry: Verdict Thread

Type of thing that was always going to catch up on us at some point, when we’ve got away with it several times this season

As team unit we were a defensive shambles, ball not being held up, attackers not tracking runners etc Kilman performance was atrocious.
Such a mentally weak performance,

Shocking statistic.

Leaves you feeing totally empty.

Lemina and Gomes meant to be top Premier League CMs. I'd take several Cov players over ours to be honest. People who can run with the ball.

I know we had several top players missing , but still..............the gulf was embarrassing at times.

They raised their game we didn’t manage expectations.
Put this Coventry side in the PL on a week by week basis they’d be in the same category as Sheff Utd & Burnley.
Leeds fans way back in 98 felt very similar after we beat them just do many key players didn’t turn up.

I’m going to be gutted about this one for a while I think.

Well done to Coventry though. Scored 3, could easily have had at least 2 more and we probably couldn’t have complained too much if they’d scored 6 or 7.

Hopefully this will be the last season I have to watch Matt Doherty on the pitch.

They raised their game we didn’t manage expectations.
Put this Coventry side in the PL on a week by week basis they’d be in the same category as Sheff Utd & Burnley.
Leeds fans way back in 98 felt very similar after we beat them just do many key players didn’t turn up.
I'm not sure it is easy as explaining it like that.

Our players were up for it but Cov looked so much better in most departments. Of course, a Wolves with Neto and Cunha would have been different, but it was actually all too predictable. We have ground out some fantastic results this season, but against any ball playing team we struggle. Any wins have been backs against the wall where we simply score on the counterattack. Against teams we might be expected to beat, teams we have to take the game to the opposition, we are clueless.

I might be out of sync with the rest of the forum but this one doesn't sting/hurt. It's odd.

Like I expected it and then watched as we deservedly lost even in the fashion it was done.

I have been fuming at results like this in the past but it really is a kind of meh feeling. I was raging when we lost v Ipswich in the league Cup...today, nowt.

My emotions must be like a few of our players today and decided to take the day off.

On the plus side, Ait Nouri was superb again.

Can’t wait for him to be one of the next ones Fosun fall over themselves to sell.

Can't complain at all about the result. 4-0 wouldn't have flattered them on 80 minutes, we were laboured throughout and needed Sa to continually bail us out. But you simply have to manage that situation better.

Lemina's poorest game for the club and on one view in real time I don't think Kilman covers himself in glory towards the end. Fraser looked lost, Sarabia too busy moaning at the officials (who were dire), if we had even one of our first choice front three available it may have been different...and of course the club decided to take the road they did in January.

Got to shrug it off and get some players back for Villa. Would be a shame for the season to peter out now.

I'm no big fan of the Wembley experience but you aren't going to have many better chances to get there. It'll sting for a few days this one.

Deary me what a hugely disappointing afternoon.

First of all, Coventry were outstanding, and played like a Premier League team at times. They found multiple ways to play through us and created plenty. They absolutely deserved it, fair play to them. I'm sure it was a great watch for the neutral!

But that defensive display was garbage. It's not like our injuries have decimated our backline, it's only Dawson who was missing today but time after time, individuals switch off, don't mark up, give attackers all the time in the world, stand off etc etc. So many basic errors - I thought we'd got lucky for a moment but nope, rather than slow the game down and play out the lead we'd undeservedly gained we defended like amateurs.

As with the 2nd half last week and again today, even with our best attacking players all missing we still look like scoring. We got the ball into some really promising areas even in the first half today. Crazy that we have this many injuries but the defence let us down yet again.

Good performances from Sa and RAN but too many off days otherwise, and another horror show from Doherty.

Fraser clearly isn't ready, but he's only just turned 19, way too early for us to expect much from him and he certainly can't be judged on the contributions he's had so far.

We've had a good season and we've got lots of highlights to choose from but today feels like a missed opportunity caused by our own lack of concentration and professionalism.

I might be out of sync with the rest of the forum but this one doesn't sting/hurt. It's odd.

Like I expected it and then watched as we deservedly lost even in the fashion it was done.

I have been fuming at results like this in the past but it really is a kind of meh feeling. I was raging when we lost v Ipswich in the league Cup...today, nowt.

My emotions must be like a few of our players today and decided to take the day off.
It’s the manner in which we threw it away. I think I’d have felt better about it if they’d just spanked us 3-0 instead.

GON post match pretty much pointing to the fact the squad is to thin and that pushing Lemina and RAN further upfield leaves us more exposed at the back.

How has their first goal not been ruled out btw? I thought with the time it took that it'd be marginal but it's a blatant hand ball!

Couldn't really tell in real time. Was shocking defending regardless.

Oh and Matt Doherty is absolutely stealing a living. I've shown more energy than that in Sunday League games when absolutely hanging from the night before. Fuck off Matthew.

GON post match pretty much pointing to the fact the squad is to thin and that pushing Lemina and RAN further upfield leaves us more exposed at the back.
Well he could've played Bueno and had RAN off the right. And besides that even if you asked RAN to do zero defending, he still had 4 defenders, Gomes and Doyle to look after a midtable championship side

Couldn't really tell in real time. Was shocking defending regardless.

Oh and Matt Doherty is absolutely stealing a living. I've shown more energy than that in Sunday League games when absolutely hanging from the night before. Fuck off Matthew.

When he called for the ball, received it and then seemed to just glitch... Shambles

How has their first goal not been ruled out btw? I thought with the time it took that it'd be marginal but it's a blatant hand ball!
Camera angles not good enough for them to say 100% handball so went with the on field decision

Not sure why Lemina was played on the wing? WTF? And taking Doyle off but complaining about lack of depth?

Other than that he is bang on about the depth of squad.

Back