• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Fans Against VAR - Join us

I started on the South Bank terrace (as did many of us with only two stands open). I do miss it but those days are gone. Molineux is a cracking ground now although the Steve Bull really needs knocking down and replacing. Won’t happen for years now I would imagine.

And they still don’t get it right. They re wrote the instruction to specifically say that the handball given against Joao Gomes should not be handball, and the idiot officials decided that unnatural position trumped deflection which was just straight wrong. This was a case where the law was actually clear, the replay was clear, the interpretation by the officials was completely wrong.

They have made handball complex simply because their own incompetence has them tying themselves in knots.

I remember the officials at lower levels being equally rubbish too. The officials in professional football in England are appalling. When we were enjoying our Europa League run (cheers Covid - I still reckon we would have beaten Sevilla over two legs) the difference in the standard of officiating was night and day. We all said it at the time.
The handball law needs to be simplified and changed.

52 penalties in 2001/2 season, 124 in 2020-2021 season. They keep moving the goalposts. It's one thing I do have sympathy for referees on.

VAR in some ways has added to the drama, you think your team has scored, you celebrate, the opposition is devastated, then the roles are reversed. It's disallowed.

That whole pantomime does add to the drama.

I started on the South Bank terrace (as did many of us with only two stands open). I do miss it but those days are gone. Molineux is a cracking ground now although the Steve Bull really needs knocking down and replacing. Won’t happen for years now I would imagine.
Even though developing changes it, staying at your stadium is a great thing. It is VERY hard for anywhere else to feel like "home".

How it was, and how it always will be, by the way. Whether you have VAR or not.

Edit: It is wrong in your opinion. Not factually wrong.
No it's wrong.

You can't be offside with your elbow and the offside law is binary.

Asserting that people MUST do something because you have no understanding of it is why your opinion is flawed.

Slow motion doesn't distort human perception (whatever you think that is) it gives a different perspective.

It strikes me as though you're a luddite that doesn't want the game to change. That's great if it's your opinion but you might have trouble dragging people with you.

I can assure you as a season ticket holder the atmosphere in the ground changes with the quality of the game most of all.

The Hwang goal on Saturday caused bedlam in the stands and it was brilliant, VAR didn't ruin that for anybody as the football spoke for itself.

The stupid penalty that wasn't would still have been given as Taylor was wrong. VAR should've rectified that but Gillet isn't fit to be the official.

Taylor had a terrible performance, nothing to do with VAR at all.

The handball law needs to be simplified and changed.

52 penalties in 2001/2 season, 124 in 2020-2021 season. They keep moving the goalposts. It's one thing I do have sympathy for referees on.
That's nothing to do with VAR.

Didn't say it is fella. Was replying to someone else about handball.

Its funny how much you hate me :ROFLMAO: we just disagree about VAR mate it's not that deep.
Hate is such a strong word. I don't hate you at all.

We disagree about your view of the game as a whole. I think your ideas are daft and flawed not hateful.

No it's wrong.

You can't be offside with your elbow and the offside law is binary.

Asserting that people MUST do something because you have no understanding of it is why your opinion is flawed.

Slow motion doesn't distort human perception (whatever you think that is) it gives a different perspective.

It strikes me as though you're a luddite that doesn't want the game to change. That's great if it's your opinion but you might have trouble dragging people with you.

I can assure you as a season ticket holder the atmosphere in the ground changes with the quality of the game most of all.

The Hwang goal on Saturday caused bedlam in the stands and it was brilliant, VAR didn't ruin that for anybody as the football spoke for itself.

The stupid penalty that wasn't would still have been given as Taylor was wrong. VAR should've rectified that but Gillet isn't fit to be the official.

Taylor had a terrible performance, nothing to do with VAR at all.
A different perspective alters perception.

You can think I'm wrong, but you are no more of an authority on football than I am. The laws of football have always been subject to interpretation by referees and fans alike.

But you keep attacking if it makes you happy.

Hate is such a strong word. I don't hate you at all.

We disagree about your view of the game as a whole. I think your ideas are daft and flawed not hateful.
I see VAR as daft and flawed.

Different perspectives, neither of us are definitively right.

For me football is primarily about community and the fan experience. And I'm sure not everyone sees it like that.

A different perspective alters perception.

You can think I'm wrong, but you are no more of an authority on football than I am. The laws of football have always been subject to interpretation by referees and fans alike.

But you keep attacking if it makes you happy.
I'm not attacking you at all, I'm disagreeing with your opinion and suggesting you want something to change that isn't going to happen.

You then make the false argument of community and football not being compatible with VAR when that isn't true at all.

I'm not attacking you at all, I'm disagreeing with your opinion and suggesting you want something to change that isn't going to happen.

You then make the false argument of community and football not being compatible with VAR when that isn't true at all.
Mate, you need to stop telling me I am saying things that I do not say.

I was saying that is what is most important to me about football, rather than success or correct decisions for example. I never said it was not compatible with VAR. I was not making a direct comparison.

Edit: If change isn't going to happen, I hope you never complain about VAR. Complaining leads to changes all the time. But you sit in silence and accept it all. That's your choice.

Mate, you need to stop telling me I am saying things that I do not say.

I was saying that is what is most important to me about football, rather than success or correct decisions for example. I never said it was not compatible with VAR. I was not making a direct comparison.

Edit: If change isn't going to happen, I hope you never complain about VAR. Complaining leads to changes all the time. But you sit in silence and accept it all. That's your choice.
@Paddingtonwolf and others have put forward the changes we would like made as have I.

You've chosen to ignore them in favour of your own agenda.

As I said, good luck to you, you're going to need it.

@Paddingtonwolf and others have put forward the changes we would like made as have I.

You've chosen to ignore them in favour of your own agenda.

As I said, good luck to you, you're going to need it.
I won't give up haha, I am very aware I am up against a multi-billion pound industry and the odds are stacked against me.

I think you'd be surprised by how many people (and indeed Wolves supporters) would happily scrap VAR though!

I would rather scrap the officials and replace them with competent uninterested ones. PGMOL is a huge issue in professional football. Their “elite” are incompetent which implies a lot about those at lower levels

This is the reason why fewer and fewer premier league officials are getting on the roster for international tournaments. For years there was a real chance a premier league official would get the World Cup final as they had a decent reputation and England were never finalists. Now as the team edge closer to the big game, the officials are drifting further away.

I’m sure there is a huge group of fans that are in the scrap VAR camp. I would argue that there is another, probably larger, group that can live with VAR but cannot stand how eye-bleedingly poor the officials now are.

Note Dermot’s little half hour on Mondays on SSN is ref watch not VAR watch. Not looking at the officials and shouting about VAR is blaming the machine for the shit output and ignoring the person delivering shit input.

Where I absolutely think VAR is bad is delay and communication. Fans in the grounds are given no information. I read some IFAB gonk saying comparisons with rugby and cricket are not helpful as football is a different game. I’m sorry that’s nonsense. Take your margin for error and grey areas point earlier - that’s basically umpires call in cricket.

Look at how the whole process with TMO in both rugby codes is public. Everybody knows what is being debated and hears the arguments. That simply works.

Back