• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Fans Against VAR - Join us

No I want the right decision. And junior officials hiding behind clear and obvious because they don’t want to challenge incompetence by the on field ref is a huge problem.

Only this country seems to have clear and obvious. Combined with some of the worst officials on the planet.

I don’t really care what percentage you are coming out with tbh. It’s finger in the air and you know it
1. The "right decision" is often subjective
2. Do you want the "right decision" at the cost of regular 5 minute delays? Because that makes you in the minority.
3. Do you believe incompetence is only an on-field referee issue? If so, you are wrong.
4. Most countries have very similar VAR protocols to England, semi-automated offsides not withstanding.
5. Our officials are around average, most fans from countries think their country has the shittest referees. I doubt you watch enough Eredivisie or Primera Liga to make a fair shout about English referees compared to other countries, you are just talking out of your arse.

Fair play to FCKVAR, in spite of all the abuse he’s certainly got staying power.
The abuse is water off a ducks back. I've heard every dumb pro-VAR argument under the sun over the last five years. And yet, there's still problems... it's almost like it will never work!

I actually respect Wolves as a traditional old team and the fact there was a small anti-VAR protest at your club, I guess as I'm not emotionally connected to Wolves in any way I'm going to come under more fire.

VAR is bigger than club rivalries, until it's gone the game is in the mud.

Fair enough. We agree to disagree.

I haven’t resorted to telling you you are talking out of your arse. Thought we were having a reasoned discussion but clearly not.

Fair enough. We agree to disagree.

I haven’t resorted to telling you you are talking out of your arse. Thought we were having a reasoned discussion but clearly not.
I thought it was a fair retort to finger in the air but I must have misjudged it.

I'm passionate and therefore grating and can come across as obnoxious sometimes, I get it. But I've definitely got a point. VAR is not good for the matchgoing fans.

I’m not a great fan, it’s took the emotion out of celebrating a goal and we’ve been fucked over so many times, having said that it is what it is and the vast majority of football fans wanted it.

To answer some points. I think every single referee is a mixture of incompetent and probably dodgy. The PGMOL needs to be disbanded and any official who has taken a junket to ref in the oil states needs to be removed.

I would rather have refs from overseas but that isn’t going to happen. If everyone else has shit refs why is it 100% that teams in European competition say the refs are better?

No other country has clear and obvious. That is entirely a PGMOL thing

I’m not a great fan, it’s took the emotion out of celebrating a goal and we’ve been fucked over so many times, having said that it is what it is and the vast majority of football fans wanted it.
I'm not saying this is wrong, but I haven't seen any evidence that that was the case.

95% of fans say VAR has made attending games less enjoyable: https://thefsa.org.uk/news/survey-fans-say-they-will-attend-fewer-games-because-of-var/

I'm surprised you seem quite laissez-faire with the statement "it's took the emotion out of celebrating a goal". For me, that was the best thing about the sport. They have taken the best part away, I'm surprised it doesn't bother you more.

To answer some points. I think every single referee is a mixture of incompetent and probably dodgy. The PGMOL needs to be disbanded and any official who has taken a junket to ref in the oil states needs to be removed.

I would rather have refs from overseas but that isn’t going to happen. If everyone else has shit refs why is it 100% that teams in European competition say the refs are better?

No other country has clear and obvious. That is entirely a PGMOL thing
If PGMOL was disbanded I would foresee the same thing arising. IFAB is just as big of a problem. Was it PGMOL who started apologising for decisions? That was insane and set an incredibly dangerous precedent.

If you think referees are incompetent and dodgy, I'm surprised you want more referee involvement in the game rather than less.

The refs from overseas thing is a bit of a myth, like the "VAR works abroad myth". I have been to watch and have friends who support teams in Netherlands and Portugal. I had fans in each country asssure me refs in their countries were the most corrupt/ most shit.

I went to 4 football matches in five days in the Netherlands last year. I spoke to as many fans as possible, most were disparaging of VAR and Dutch refs.

I'm surprised you seem quite laissez-faire with the statement "it's took the emotion out of celebrating a goal". For me, that was the best thing about the sport. They have taken the best part away, I'm surprised it doesn't bother you more.
You keep saying this but it just isn't true.

Did Man Utd fans quietly applaud their winner today whilst looking at the screens, or did they go mad?

It's partially true, I've only half heartedly celebrated some goals because I expected VAR to chalk them off, some correctly some not. Not sure how any match going Wolves fan couldn't be cynical. How someone that doesn't support a PL team and therefore never experienced it can say that is another discussion

When we made the Europa League I found the standard of refereeing a cut about English refereeing. There's also good reason English referees were excluded from the World Cup one year.

That being said, we were obviously robbed by the officials and VAR in the Sevilla quarter final when they missed their goalkeeper being in a different postcode to his goal line.

I think if you remove VAR you're still left with the structural issues of PGMOL.

Whether you think VAR can improve or not is immaterial, it's doomed not to while it's in the hands of PGMOL.

I used to rage at VAR whereas now I just see it as a symptom of the wider problem of PGMOL.

If you have the time, this video is much more articulate than my ADHD-riddled mind would ever be able to produce:

Professional referee’s get their salary due to the pressure involved not the level of expertise needed. Learning the rules of football isn’t that hard at all, pretty much every fan knows 90% of them it’s just the small intricate stuff you need to learn.
It’s all about applying what you know under pressure and being able to control a game.
If you make a gaff in an EFL game it most often goes under the radar, do it in a PL fixture and it’s a debate on social media, radio tv etc
If I was operating VAR I’d ignore clear and obvious and go with what I think and advise them to look or not look.
Classic case of an official over thinking and getting blurred by clear and obvious was Onana assault on the opening day.

I have often wondered why quite so many elite referees seem to be from Manchester and yet they all support teams like Altrincham so they can have United and City games without accusations of bias. Strange that.

Ref in the West Ham v Villa game apparently was told it was the arm that “scored” the West Ham second. He decided to go to the monitor after a lengthy VAR check and it took him less than 30 seconds to rule out the goal. I think the on field referee should always make the final decision. VAR sound simply advise referee to check for a possible infringement and say what VAR might have identified.

There should also be a time limit for VAR reviews to start when the video replays are ready to review.

Or scrap it.

Agree, why we wait for a decision the referee should also be involved and use the pitch side monitor. Bit silly to be cutting him out of the process

Var's job should be to tell the referee to go to the monitor or not.
show him what they see on their screens, (but not a million times) and the final decision is the referee's. That's that!

Just do what they do in RL. The referee makes the onfield decision if it's a try or no try and requests (if the onfield ref wishes) the video ref to check (in touch, knock on, grounding, onside, etc.) specific reasons why the try might not stand. The VR has to find compelling evidence to overule the onfield decision.

Back