• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Fans expectations and our future strategy

Exciting times ahead agreed and with the philosophy of the plan, but playing devil's advocate, what if the 'future potential' signings do not work and in 3 years Nuno leaves or is sacked ? Just a little worried that everything could go pear shaped over the next couple of years but hopefully this season of bedding new/young players in could bode well for next season.

Exciting times ahead agreed and with the philosophy of the plan, but playing devil's advocate, what if the 'future potential' signings do not work and in 3 years Nuno leaves or is sacked ? Just a little worried that everything could go pear shaped over the next couple of years but hopefully this season of bedding new/young players in could bode well for next season.

What if all the players leave, or if Nuno accidentally steps in front of a bus tomorrow, or if Molineux gets hit by an asteroid?

You'll drive yourself mad focusing on negative hypotheticals.

Things can always go wrong with experiments, for example can you imagine taking Benfica's bench walmer who'd only scored 18 goals in 80 appearances and that turning out a bit better than Ok :)

I really am not a fan of transfer windows at all but I do have faith in the current manager , structure and coaching at the club -far more than I did pre Nuno and Fosun.

I still think we have been relatively lucky with injuries and our whole system is very spine dependent Rui, Coady Neves, Raul. Neves does have quality back up but the others don't . Ruddy made me nervous in the Stoke game for the first time I felt that he was no longer up to the job. Moutinho has not started the season well but we are able to call on others in midfield. Coady and Raul back up are my main concerns. A long injury lay off for either could see our form plummet without back up. Lets hope it does not happen.

However you win games by scoring goals and that falls on Neto , Podence and Traore to improve in that department with 10-15 between them and I would hope Fabio breaks his duck soon too. We have never really scored enough from midfield with Nuno. Neves is worldy or bust and it would be good if they chipped in with a few. This is where Podence I feel is key . He has the brain and vision to be a Hazard like player and I hope he continues to improve and progress.

Overall I like the look of the potential but as yet that is what it is. We do need several of the signings to hit the ground running. That would be good. For once the international break is perfectly timed.

I'm quite happy to sit out and wait a bit and happy with the sell at the expense of the present but buy for the future approach.

Just feel the timing isn't the best, going to be a weird season, no pre season, coming off the back of a long long season last with no break, no fans etc just think its a massive gamble in my opinion and one I'd probably have preferred they delayed a year or so under the current climate.

I'm also not sure Wolves fans as a whole have the patience, stomach or foresight to take on board whats going to be deemed a step backwards this season to enable bigger steps forward in the future. Especially after a fast rise over the past 3 seasons seems to have turned loads into spoilt brats.

If this is the strategy (and I too believe it is) I think the club may need to at some point explain that to the fans, as there will be some major pant wetting if we are around 12th place at Christmas.

For the record I think we'll stumble a long a little over the next 10 games or so then hit some really good form over the the last 2/3rds of the season once the players and our tactics have settled down.

They don't need to explain anything to the fans, they should be able to work it out for themselves. Everyone on this page seems to have grasped it easily enough.

They can never win with that stuff anyway. "Jeff said we should be aiming to win the league a couple of years ago" and all the rest because morons take absolutely everything at face value when it suits them.

I'm not a big fan of our support as you well know. Don't give them any ammunition.

They don't need to explain anything to the fans, they should be able to work it out for themselves. Everyone on this page seems to have grasped it easily enough.

I don't think this forum is a fair reflection of our fanbase as a whole though, do you?

I just think it's good for business to try and keep the fans happy/in the know/part of the project.

I think the impact of fan discontent is going to be muted by the fact that we're not going to be in the ground for a while.

I don't expect us to do badly enough for fan revolt to be a concern any time soon, in fairness.

You can't keep our fans happy.

If I watch a film then I don't need the director whispering in my ear what every little part of the plot means. Well, maybe for Tenet I did.

I think in a few years we'll look back at this window as the time when we really cemented our position among the top clubs in this league.

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk

I think in a few years we'll look back at this window as the time when we really cemented our position among the top clubs in this league.

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk

wow

I am not unhappy but that is stretching it for me.

giphy.gif

wow

I am not unhappy but that is stretching it for me.

giphy.gif

Makes a pleasant change from half the fanbase doom-mongering about us being in a relegation fight and demanding to know where the money's gone tbh.

I'd much rather us have spent what we did on Fabio Silva than taken Edinson Cavani on a free.

I'm extremely satisfied with our recruitment this summer, both ins and outs.

Makes a pleasant change from half the fanbase doom-mongering about us being in a relegation fight and demanding to know where the money's gone tbh.

Thing is though, I think some people try and fight battles on TWF that they should be having with other people... in the pub, or on Twitter, or MM, or a radio phone-in, or wherever. Even the most 'negative' of us on here are pretty tame and reasonable.

I'm not talking about here, to be quite clear. I'm more thinking of the fanbase knocking around Twitter and the worst excesses of the Mix than the sort of posters we get around these parts.

Ah, if there's someone on here that I think is wrong then I'll happily say so.

I'm on about the fanbase as a whole, as EP seemed to earlier when saying that if we're 12th after a while the club need to "explain themselves" to the fans. I say do they heck.

They didn't have to when we sold Douglas and Afobe, both decisions that had our lot frothing at the mouth and yet I don't think we'd have wanted either back on a free inside a year, let alone now. They don't have anything to explain, a 7/10 window under Nuno and Fosun (we shall ignore 2016) is an 11/10 in any previous era.

I don't cut our fans any slack I'm afraid, I think we have some appalling elements (whether other clubs also do is neither here nor there).

8/10 for me, couple of experienced guys in Marcal and Semedo and love all the young talent we've signed, obviously time will tell if they all work out.
No way are we competing with the big clubs of Europe in the transfer market so I think signing young up and coming players is a smart move.
Don't agree that finishing 12th is 'unacceptable'.....disappointing yes.
The big problem with our fans expectations is our rate of progress so far imo, mid table Championship to 7th in the Premier League (+ qualifying for Europe) in 2 seasons is quite frankly spectacular, especially as we followed that up with another 7th with improved points.
I am very excited for future and if we have to take a few steps back, so be it.........obviously if we play crap for 6 games and there's no obvious improvement in our style/performances, I'll be very grumpy (shortlived though)

I don't think we've been that bad at all.

Good vs Sheff Utd (excellent at points), they had 10-15 minutes maybe. On the other hand we could have been 5-0 up at one stage.

Don't care about the League Cup (though I was stupid enough to pay to watch it).

Bossed by one of the best teams in Europe in City for a half, then we were good second half. Could have pinched something (wouldn't have deserved to).

Awful at West Ham although in turn they don't seem to be as terrible as you might think with Moyesie bossing it on Zoom.

Deserved to beat Fulham, wasn't even close in terms of who was the better team realistically, for all the doom on here and elsewhere.

Better start than either of the last two seasons. All this and we had to play Adama at RWB for two games and Saiss at LWB for another.

I don't think we've been that bad at all.

Good vs Sheff Utd (excellent at points), they had 10-15 minutes maybe. On the other hand we could have been 5-0 up at one stage.

Don't care about the League Cup (though I was stupid enough to pay to watch it).

Bossed by one of the best teams in Europe in City for a half, then we were good second half. Could have pinched something (wouldn't have deserved to).

Awful at West Ham although in turn they don't seem to be as terrible as you might think with Moyesie bossing it on Zoom.

Deserved to beat Fulham, wasn't even close in terms of who was the better team realistically, for all the doom on here and elsewhere.

Better start than either of the last two seasons. All this and we had to play Adama at RWB for two games and Saiss at LWB for another.

Yeah there's been some good, some bad, would have liked us to have been a bit more cohesive more often but I suppose its to be expected when we're trying to change our style plus the incomings/outgoings and Nuno has had no time to coach them

Back