• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

FIFA Confederations Cup 2017 Russia

Chile will win this one comfortably.

This is going to be a rout if it carries on like this.

Incredible that Chile are still playing Jean Beausejour. Woeful footballer.

How many chances are they going to need?

What the hell are they doing with this VAR? Absolute nonsense decision.

Incredibly controversial stuff, level at worst? Offside by an elbow?

I'm not sure you can call that...at least stick the superimposed lines on top so we can see.

I can accept teething problems but it seems they're getting the process wrong in ways that just seem obvious.

How can every other sport use it correctly with minimal fuss yet Football fuck it up?

Use some common sense, it's not clear he is offside so go with the on field decision!!

It also doesn't help that no one actually understands/knows what the rule is. It's gone from Daylight between the players to any body part being further forward than the last body part of the defender. Absolute farce

How can every other sport use it correctly with minimal fuss yet Football fuck it up?

Use some common sense, it's not clear he is offside so go with the on field decision!!

It also doesn't help that no one actually understands/knows what the rule is. It's gone from Daylight between the players to any body part being further forward than the last body part of the defender. Absolute farce

Make it bloody clear you're referring it upstairs too. Not two minutes of "that's it, they're 1-0 up" and bang, out of nowhere it's disallowed.

When it's that tight they're supposed to give the benefit of the doubt to the attacker.

The other thing is I can see linesmen not really giving any tight offsides when they're in a VAR game. So they'll let play roll, goal, everyone celebrates and then we go and check it. It instinctively feels wrong.

Turns out you can see he is offside, but as you say, decision made 2 minutes after the celebration

How can every other sport use it correctly with minimal fuss yet Football $#@! it up?

I think it proves referees at all levels need to improve massively and stop being utter arsehats. It's all teething troubles though and I'm sure the respective FA's will sort it out. As you and DW say, make the rule clear and superimpose lines. It isn't hard to do and you could do it with a bloody smart phone.

The other thing is I can see linesmen not really giving any tight offsides when they're in a VAR game. So they'll let play roll, goal, everyone celebrates and then we go and check it. It instinctively feels wrong.
Agreed. It feels a mess as it stands.

Piss poor stuff. It's amazing that we as a country can't put a competitive team together. Chile have some decent individuals but as a team they're pretty average.

Good decision...two defenders on the line blocked the shot and the the other forward is on side

It's really simple to sort out. Give the ref a mic (that he only activates when he wants to talk to the VAR, so you can't hear him talking to the players - not that I have a problem with that, but the authorities do). Make sure he blows the whistle after a goal/pen decision and makes a clear signal that he's going upstairs. Let's hear him talking to the extra officials like we do in rugby, cricket and I believe the NFL? Then we're all in the picture as to what they're actually looking at, what the decision is, what the process is...and everyone's happy.

It's really simple to sort out. Give the ref a mic (that he only activates when he wants to talk to the VAR, so you can't hear him talking to the players - not that I have a problem with that, but the authorities do). Make sure he blows the whistle after a goal/pen decision and makes a clear signal that he's going upstairs. Let's hear him talking to the extra officials like we do in rugby, cricket and I believe the NFL? Then we're all in the picture as to what they're actually looking at, what the decision is, what the process is...and everyone's happy.

You'd have thought they'd have done all this prior to trialling it. It smacks of arrogance to me. Football should be one of the simplest sports to implement this technology in.

In NFL they don't talk through the decision making, but they announce why is being contested (did he catch it/was he in bounds/did they get over the goal line etc.) but then the reasoning is announced afterwards.

Back