• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

FIFA Confederations Cup 2017 Russia

How can every other sport use it correctly with minimal fuss yet Football $#@! it up?

Use some common sense, it's not clear he is offside so go with the on field decision!!

It also doesn't help that no one actually understands/knows what the rule is. It's gone from Daylight between the players to any body part being further forward than the last body part of the defender. Absolute farce

There are controversial moments in other sports too. In cricket for instance many catches that look correct and commentators from their experience believe are out look like bump balls in 2D and are given not out.

Personally I like the goal line technology which has come in because that rules on a matter of fact, I'm against bringing it in on anything that is a matter of interpretation and although offside theoretically shouldn't be that the latest rules make it so.

Retrospective diving action I'm OK with as it's after the game, but even then I can see there being disputes based on whether a touch was enough for someone to go over or not.

Retrospective diving action I'm OK with as it's after the game, but even then I can see there being disputes based on whether a touch was enough for someone to go over or not.

Doesn't even have to be right! Just need a few scapegoats and it will put an end to it.

If the authorities start back tracking like with the Eduardo incident for Arsenal against Celtic then they'll never have a leg to stand on.

The other thing is I can see linesmen not really giving any tight offsides when they're in a VAR game. So they'll let play roll, goal, everyone celebrates and then we go and check it. It instinctively feels wrong.

not seen the games so haven't seen this in action but once you can apply it to offsides then this will probably happen and I've said as much myself. though it does change things I'm not sure why it's wrong. I know we've got used to linesmen having to make a decision on the spot, but is it a real problem letting that decision go, to be checked only if a goal is scored? one of the criticisms of using the tech was that it would cause the game to stop, whereas this consequence results in it carrying on. and there's a natural stop if a 'goal' is scored and can then be checked.

a difficulty would be how long the game goes on before a referral becomes invalidated? imagine there is an offside, linesman let's it go, the immediate chance is saved and cleared but back into attacking team possession who score on a secondary phase. do you go back to check the first phase offside?

taking 2 minutes to check whether a goal is valid with no communication for crowd/tv audience is not good though, but that will hopefully improve as a result of this trial. as you say, give the ref and the VAR ref a mike.

1-1, Rogic. No idea how Australia are level, this has been like a PL team against a L2 team. Shocker from the ever iffy Leno in goal.

Didn't last long. Goretzka hacked down in the box by Luongo and Draxler sticks the penalty away.

Australia are awful, a complete shambles defensively.

Australia are awful, a complete shambles defensively.
Bizarre, all the talk going in was that they were a better team than the 2014 group that showed fairly well in Brazil. Clearly something has gone awry.

Australia totally lacking in team cohesion and intelligence having lots of Dave Edwards moments when they close the space as individuals allowing the Germans to make blind runs off them.

The German keeper is having a 'mare

Awful clanger from Leno. VAR going to get him out of jail?

Absolute shite from Leno again. 3-2.

I really don't know why he's highly rated, he constantly has a howler in him.

Apart from that though...

Bizarre, all the talk going in was that they were a better team than the 2014 group that showed fairly well in Brazil. Clearly something has gone awry.

Australia look like they have improved as individuals technically but dont think fast enough, especially when under pressure. Shows they learnt much about football from the British.

How did Goretzka look? I haven't been watching this but been impressed by him previously!

He had a good game, a bit hard to judge much on this game as Australia are trash (don't be fooled by the scoreline).

Tough to get into that midfield though when everyone's available...

Back