• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Football Manager

It’s shit. Complete waste of money.

It is shit mate, complete and utter shit.

Fired it up today and started a new game after the latest patch was released. It seems to run a lot smoother now, which was one of my main issues before.

Rafa Mir scored five on his debut and followed up with a brace in the next two league games too. :icon_lol:

New database released with promotions and relegations and all summer transfers.

Nice one mate. Just tried downloading the 18/19 kits off sortitoutsi but the download is fucked.

I bought 18 and only played for like 10 hours.

forcing myself to skip this year. I'm in the last half of my degree plan so trying not to purposely throw a time suck wrench into my life

I still play '15, finally got South Normanton to Conference National after 15 years.

I still play '15, finally got South Normanton to Conference National after 15 years.

I'm still playing FM09, now in 2049 and have taken Shrewsbury to world domination. I still find it surprisingly fun to develop new talents and not just buy the best players.

I'm still playing FM09, now in 2049 and have taken Shrewsbury to world domination. I still find it surprisingly fun to develop new talents and not just buy the best players.

I do find it more enjoyable playing as a nobody and working my way up, can be so frustrating as a non-professional team with half your squad on non-contract terms able to leave whenever anyone offers more money and trying to battle through leagues with only one automatic promotion spot, failing in countless play-off scraps. Even though I'm scrapped my way up from tier 10 to 6 I'm still barely any better off financially than when I started, think the club has been taken over 3 times but always by penniless chancers who just borrow money to buy me so I'm constantly just paying off debts, even now I can lose out on players to clubs 2-3 leagues below me who have bigger budgets. A few seasons back I found myself facing Harry Kane, he was playing for Esh Winning in Conference North I think, so I looked at their squad to see how that came about and he was on about £40k a week! They'd got 5-6 players on more money each week than my entire squad got in a season.

feel like it gets weirder and weirder the longer you play though. can't believe you've made it to 2049! I think the most I've gone is... 2030 maybe?

Has anyone bothered with FM19?

I have. I usually get right into the FM's as I buy them and get a feeling of intrigue and want to win. I have to say that just starting this new version is boring. Too much stuff to do and it's quite tiresome. Thought I'd start a quick save with Ajax to get to grips with it (like Mark I prefer taking shit teams to the top) and I just got bored. The ME has new flaws and the interface in general is pedestrian.

All of that being said, it could just be my age and I might not find it that interesting in general, anymore.

I still play FM09, my favourite version of the game. Just so easy to load up and play, and enough to do on the game without it being overkill on the in-depth stuff that the latest versions have been.

I do find it more enjoyable playing as a nobody and working my way up, can be so frustrating as a non-professional team with half your squad on non-contract terms able to leave whenever anyone offers more money and trying to battle through leagues with only one automatic promotion spot, failing in countless play-off scraps. Even though I'm scrapped my way up from tier 10 to 6 I'm still barely any better off financially than when I started, think the club has been taken over 3 times but always by penniless chancers who just borrow money to buy me so I'm constantly just paying off debts, even now I can lose out on players to clubs 2-3 leagues below me who have bigger budgets. A few seasons back I found myself facing Harry Kane, he was playing for Esh Winning in Conference North I think, so I looked at their squad to see how that came about and he was on about £40k a week! They'd got 5-6 players on more money each week than my entire squad got in a season.

Yep I get bored if I just take over a Prem club. Wolves from the Championship was always fun but I'd guess less so nowadays. It's been so long since I've played as anyone other than Shrewsbury now though I'm not sure I could ever get into another game like this one. If I did ever buy a new version, I'd have to have a go as Wolves first then go about finding a team like Hereford and bring them up as far as possible.

feel like it gets weirder and weirder the longer you play though. can't believe you've made it to 2049! I think the most I've gone is... 2030 maybe?

My save literally started 8 years ago and has outlasted 3 laptops lol. I have long dry spells though, and only get back into it at times like Christmas. The closest I had before was with Brighton and that probably only got to 2024 - and I thought that game was going to be my longest!

I still play FM09, my favourite version of the game. Just so easy to load up and play, and enough to do on the game without it being overkill on the in-depth stuff that the latest versions have been.

Indeed, that's where it started for me. Got FM10 and hated it, so just went back and never brought another version. My ex wanted to buy me a new version around 2014/2015 time and I had to talk her out of it as she didn't get that I wouldn't play it!

All of that being said, it could just be my age and I might not find it that interesting in general, anymore.

I def play each version less and less. Steam says my hour in each are:
2012 - 1231
2013 - 995
2014 - X (didn't buy)
2015 - 644
2016 - X (didn't buy)
2017 -104
2018 - 42

The game goes completely bonkers.

Back in 2013, or 2014 can't remember, I did an experiment of 50 years of Football manager without anyone actually managing the game. Created a manager, dropped him on holidays and came to check on everything couple times a day.

Think I only followed the Portuguese league, but if anyone is interested, I can try and find the data somewhere.

Back