• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Football Manager

First FM I haven’t bought. Just got no interest in it any more.

Last fm I brought was 2015, the game simple loses the plot after a few seasons

Well my stay in Conference National with the mighty Shiners was short lived, made the football league at the first opportunity. Had a ridiculous run towards the end of the season where I would've had something like 15 consecutive wins if it weren't for one random loss against midtable Tranmere. That left me top on goal difference with two to play, ball bagged it with two draws and finished four points adrift, goal difference would've won it for me if I could've held on for wins in those two matches. Swatted away Lincoln City in the play offs to give myself a solid 5-0 record over them for the season, manager Luke Shaw can't get one over me it seems! Then a bit of a rollercoaster at Wembley against Aldershot for the final, went behind with about 10 minutes to play, snatched a late equaliser going all out and then nicked it with pretty much the last kick of extra time in front of nearly 30,000 fans.

The big day out gave me my first real profit so far in the game, about half a million for the season overall, allowing me to finally do a coaching course and improve the academy. Sadly then had to incur yet more debt as the stadium needed some improvements to stand up to the rules. Thought at least got the holy grail of lower league management, we've gone full time professional! Might actually be able to recruit something other than local academy drop outs now.

In a year's time I could be awaiting my first game against Wolves, who were just relegated comfortably from the Championship and have appointed the manager from Rugby, who pipped me to the Conference title, as their saviour.

Just had 4 testimonial games announced as part of my first football league pre-season schedule.

Little surprised given that I've had a massive turnover of players through the seasons, as you'd expect climbing 6 divisions, but the names did ring a bell so had a little look into their time at the club, turns out they've made a grand total of 3 first team appearances for me between the four of them over nearly 60 years of service combined. The most recent of those appearances was 13 seasons ago, one of them has never played a single minute of first team football in his entire career but still hangs around the club, though another did at least go out on loan to play 17 games over a decade a go so suppose at least he gave it a go.

Well my stay in Conference National with the mighty Shiners was short lived, made the football league at the first opportunity. Had a ridiculous run towards the end of the season where I would've had something like 15 consecutive wins if it weren't for one random loss against midtable Tranmere. That left me top on goal difference with two to play, ball bagged it with two draws and finished four points adrift, goal difference would've won it for me if I could've held on for wins in those two matches. Swatted away Lincoln City in the play offs to give myself a solid 5-0 record over them for the season, manager Luke Shaw can't get one over me it seems! Then a bit of a rollercoaster at Wembley against Aldershot for the final, went behind with about 10 minutes to play, snatched a late equaliser going all out and then nicked it with pretty much the last kick of extra time in front of nearly 30,000 fans.

The big day out gave me my first real profit so far in the game, about half a million for the season overall, allowing me to finally do a coaching course and improve the academy. Sadly then had to incur yet more debt as the stadium needed some improvements to stand up to the rules. Thought at least got the holy grail of lower league management, we've gone full time professional! Might actually be able to recruit something other than local academy drop outs now.

In a year's time I could be awaiting my first game against Wolves, who were just relegated comfortably from the Championship and have appointed the manager from Rugby, who pipped me to the Conference title, as their saviour.

Didn't hang around in League Two long either! Promoted via the play offs at the first attempt, beating both Bristol sides in the process.

Still not reaping much financial reward yet, just about broke even for the season after incurring the extra costs of the club going full time and adding a couple of extra staff. Big attendances for the play-off games looked like they'd given me a half a million or so profit but that was immediately wiped out by some work being done to my stadium, meaning a year playing at Alfreton too. Hoping can start to generate a bit more interest now facing some bigger sides and bring some more money in through attendances, slowly conquering local sides in the hope of stealing some of their support, Alfreton and Mansfield now been surpassed with Chesterfield next in my sights.

are you playing the full game w/ all the side bits?

side note, why does the FIFA thread get "Fifa 19 Thread - yay, a card game on the telly!" ??

I call for equal treatment, with a title change to "Football Manager thread - yay, a spreadsheet simulator on your monitor"

I forget what the mode is called, the one where you don't have to set training, do conferences, etc.

I forget what the mode is called, the one where you don't have to set training, do conferences, etc.

That's just the game isn't it? I delegate some decisions to staff, don't really interact with reserves or youth sides just let their staff do what they feel is best but for the first team I generally allocate the coaches to different categories and set the overall focus for each week depending on the difficulty of the next match but then leave the individual training and stuff like that to whatever my staff recommend for different players.

Ah ok full game then.

I guess it's called "Classic"? Haven't played in a while so memory is fuzzy but that's what google is showing. With everyone talking about getting bored of the game or not having time thought you might be trying the quicker game mode.

Ah ok full game then.

I guess it's called "Classic"? Haven't played in a while so memory is fuzzy but that's what google is showing. With everyone talking about getting bored of the game or not having time thought you might be trying the quicker game mode.

No idea, I'm still playing the 2015 version because I got wrapped up in that one for so long that newer version passed me by for a couple years. Then I found an add for the lowest of lower leagues and decided to take a swing with my new local club when I moved house.

I imagine there's potentially even more detailed stuff to go into now on the newer versions though.

I don't know why people complain about "too much depth", you can customise it to play exactly how you want to. Pretty much anything can be delegated if you want to so you're just picking the team and signing players, like Steve Bruce.

Riles me when people hark back to 01/02, it's really not a very good game if you start playing now. Unless your idea of fun is playing a game with loads of cheat players in the market and even more exploits in the match/tactical engine (even if you don't actively seek them out) and so you just press continue over and over again as failing is harder than succeeding.

I don't know why people complain about "too much depth", you can customise it to play exactly how you want to. Pretty much anything can be delegated if you want to so you're just picking the team and signing players, like Steve Bruce.

Riles me when people hark back to 01/02, it's really not a very good game if you start playing now. Unless your idea of fun is playing a game with loads of cheat players in the market and even more exploits in the match/tactical engine (even if you don't actively seek them out) and so you just press continue over and over again as failing is harder than succeeding.

Part of the problem is the Assistant sometimes do dumb shit. :icon_lol:

They'll say some idiotic thing in a presser which pisses off your players, or has nonsensical team prep, or changes the individual training.

We all know how much of a time-investment the game is, was just curious how he was enjoying it if trying the other feature. BUT this whole convo is for naught.

giphy.gif

Yeah. Everyone know championship manager 93 on the Amiga was as good as it would ever get.

I’ve actually got really into the 2019 version, first time for a few years I’ve got the bug. I’ve found it a lot easier to pick up and play with the new tactics system and as DW says you can get your assistant to sort all the stuff out you can’t be bothered with. I like the new scouting system too.

I think it's just having less time as an adult than I did when I was a uni student able to devote 18 hours a day to FM... I'd quite like to get into a new version but life is busy as it is and I'd probably need to buy a new laptop to handle it too.

It's called Touch.

Nowhere near as in-depth, and a lot quicker to get through seasons. You can buy Touch as a stand-alone version (around £20) or you get it when you purchase the full version.

If anyone hasn't got FM19 yet there is an offer on steam for it until tomorrow. £12.91 for full version + Touch, £7.47 just for the Touch version

Back