• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Fulham 2-0 verdict thread

That was poor tonight. I don't feel too concerned however as I think Fulham were excellent and I think a lot of what didn't go well for us was down to them being excellent all over the park.

I'm always aware that I don't see as much if the team as a lot on this forum. It's seemed that Jota has been a but Jaded of late, but it's a huge decision from Nuno to go into this game without either of our 2 best players, as Neves was already out.

Earlier this season Leo looked like a player playing for a permanent transfer. Tonight he played like a player who already knows it won't happen.

We'll know the true cost of tonight once Cardiff finish tomorrow. But I'm confident we'll turn over Reading next week and get things back on track.

I was at the game today and to add to the comments about Leo, he was way too deep most of the time, not helped by or directly caused by Ndiaye and Saiss not working well together

We played against a very good side without our best two players. We won’t again. The end.

You don't win anything by just thinking you can turn up and swan around. Nuno needs to nail this down. Get the shape back, stop people doing stupid back-heels and fancy flicks in the middle of the park. Without the shape and work ethic, we'll get marmalised by Villa and Cardiff.
Bonatini did what he could, people need to cut him some slack. The worst players for lack of effort were Costa, Doherty and Saiss imo

We have 6 of the bottom 7 still to play. Win those. Go up. Simples

That is just the sort of arrogant attitude that loses you games.
The bottom six are fighting for survival, they're just gonna roll over when the mighty Wolves turn up I don't think.

That is just the sort of arrogant attitude that loses you games.
The bottom six are fighting for survival, they're just gonna roll over when the mighty Wolves turn up I don't think.

Ho!d on we have already beaten Birmingham, Bolton, Burton,reading this season. How the fuck is it arrogant to think we can do it twice. Look at the fucking table. Wi n 2 of our next 4 and we are pretty much done. Not the time to panic

Awful game, awful result but take nothing away from Fulham who I hope will go up over numerous other front runners.

Ruddy - 5/10 - Not great, spilled an effort straight at him, punched a cross over his own goal and (purely a personal thought) I don't think he should be getting beaten at his near post for the second goal. Real question marks exist over his place in the team and in particular after the summer.

Bennett - 6/10 - Mixed, his poor clearance straight down the middle put us under pressure again and he was slow to react to the rebound. Not the worst on the pitch.
Coady - 5/10 - Poor game, didn't seem to have the radar he's shown himself to have, I don't hold the 2nd goal against him as we know he can't cope with strong targetmen (think Zohore, the QPR guy and now Mitrovic). Moved to CM and looked average minus the decent ball to Afobe for Jota's open goal miss.
Boly - 6/10 - Mixed also, passing was slightly off and I'm just not convinced he has a real understanding with Douglas. Not the worst on the pitch.

Doherty - 5/10 - Very limited performance minus one decent cross in first half I felt Cav should have been more alert to. Again, real questions over his post-summer future but our lack of options here could be dangerous.
Saiss - 4/10 - Poor, needed to step up following time out of the side with N'diaye and failed to do this. Lost the midfield battle and did not seem as capable as Neves with regard to responding to N'daiye's more expansive game. Last season and his games with N'daiye this season show that he needs a partner who sticks tightly with him in order to flourish.
N'Daiye - 6/10 - Worked hard, doesn't have the radar of Neves but still manfully tried. Saiss should have been off instead of him was my stance at the time and remains so post-match.
Douglas - 5/10 - Similar to Doherty, very limited going forward and below average in defence. Another who has questions post-summer, with Vinagre as an option for LWB however, I would have thought his poor games recently suggest he ought to be dropped.

Costa - 4/10 - Got into 2 good positions to shoot but could never quite pull the trigger. Had the close ball control but never seemed to have the pace (Not sure if it was just me but he looked like he couldn't motor to 100% sprint speed?).Rightly subbed and (probably) rightly dropped for the next game.
Bonatini - 3/10 - Anonymous. We know he isn't a proper forward and comes deep to link the play but with teams slightly wiser I feel it makes our job attacking with him on the pitch slightly more difficult as their defenders know they don't need to follow him and can hold their shape better.
Cav - 7/10 - Manful effort and had 2 shots which caused problems for the keeper. Tried hard but with the rest of the team misfiring it was never going to end well for him.

SUBS

MGW - 4/10 - This score is more of a reflection of the tactical change rather than a dig at him. Looked overwhelmed at CM and the injury to Saiss didn't help. For now, stick him in the front 3.
Jota - 3/10 - Again not a dig on him, but when youre anonymous and miss an open goal then you aren't getting a high score.
Afobe - 5/10 - Slightly more generous as he did well to set up Jota following a good block by the defender. Wasn't as anonymous or overwhelmed as the other two and I thought he looked a bit more direct in this which can only be a good thing.

For reading I personally would go

Norris
Bennett Boly Hause
Graham Ndaiye Coady Vinagre
Jota Afobe Cav​

GK - Ruddy has been very poor by his high standards and you have to hold him against those standards, Norris deserves a chance.
Def - More of a case of picking the best options of a bad bunch (Roderick/Batth poor and can't go on the left side)
Mid - Coady simply to plug the gap left by Neves for now because Saiss really does not deserve a chance again and he isn't very good when his partner roams like N'daiye does (not a dig at N'daiye, its just how he plays). Vinagre for Douglas (similar to GK change).
- Graham for Doherty, we've called him back as cover and I feel he deserves a chance. Always looks tricky out wide and has a good cross on him. He also mitigates the loss of Douglas as he is a good set piece taker too.
ST - Costa and bonatini poor so next best options, Jota and Afobe, come in to form the trident with Cav.

Not far off my scores. I was a little harder on some

Fuck it. Shit happens. Win the next game. We are still miles clear.

Fuck it. Shit happens. Win the next game. We are still miles clear.

This, I’m kinda disappointed in the reaction on here and elsewhere. It’s so over the top.

We weren’t as bad as people have made out at all. First half was even, they scored a scrappy goal. Second half we started bright but had a poor fifteen/twenty minutes around their second goal which really cost us I felt

There were still some good performances amongst the team too. Boly and Cav showed quality and I was really impressed by Coady and how he held himself even when things were going a bit south.

Ho!d on we have already beaten Birmingham, Bolton, Burton,reading this season. How the $#@! is it arrogant to think we can do it twice. Look at the $#@!ing table. Wi n 2 of our next 4 and we are pretty much done. Not the time to panic

We'd already beat Fulham comfortably earlier in the season, that was then, this is now. You're only as good as you're last game. 'We have to remain humble'. Easy to say, not easy to do.

We'd already beat Fulham comfortably earlier in the season, that was then, this is now. You're only as good as you're last game. 'We have to remain humble'. Easy to say, not easy to do.
We will.still.win the title, but Nuno has to get the players focused, we need to.win the next one

This, I’m kinda disappointed in the reaction on here and elsewhere. It’s so over the top.

We weren’t as bad as people have made out at all. First half was even, they scored a scrappy goal. Second half we started bright but had a poor fifteen/twenty minutes around their second goal which really cost us I felt

There were still some good performances amongst the team too. Boly and Cav showed quality and I was really impressed by Coady and how he held himself even when things were going a bit south.

Totally agree.

Coady was fucked over by a carthorse his worst game of the season.
He's been fantastic this season but today he was at fault for both goals.
Poor Clearance for the 1st
Far too tight for the second

Coady was fucked over by a carthorse his worst game of the season.
He's been fantastic this season but today he was at fault for both goals.
Poor Clearance for the 1st
Far too tight for the second
It was Bennett's clearance on the first not Coady, he played the same role for both.

Not sure if he is a moron or on the wind up, but some guy on twitter was moaning about why let Price and Mason go!

I just don't understand how that is even possible someones point of view!

Watched it in Telford. No bloody idea who they support but they were cheering Fulham/our bad passes etc then massive cheers and the chant for Afobe?? Same large bunch of people, strange ha.

I've spent the afternoon and evening in the boozer so will post my thoughts in full tomorrow, they were better than us, our weaknesses were exposed, but for FFS there's been some bollocks posted on this thread so far. In the main we have had a team of decent players suiting a formation that they have bought in to sprinkled with a touch of golddust. We are being found out a bit at the moment, but the overreaction is comical.

Last edited:

Yes some of the reactions are over the top but there are also far too many people who can't take any criticism of the team/nuno. Like i said earlier we were ok in the first half but the goal was a poor one to concede and then started brightly in the second half for five minutes but after that played as bad as we have all season.

For me Nuno was out thought by Jokanovic today and Fulham had a better plan than we did. All game they tried to isolate Coady with Mitrovic and scored twice through it but we didn't seem to recognise this and if we did then we did nothing to combat it which was poor.

We had a little bit of success when we tried to go 4-4-2 but why are we doing this? When things aren't going for us i still think Nuno hasn't found a way for us to move away from 3-4-3 successfully yet we have moved away from it a lot lately which is worrying.

We are still the best side in the league and should still win it but there is the possibility that Cardiff will only be 3 points behind before we play next week and that will add pressure. We simply do not know how Nuno and this side will react to that but i'm more than hopeful that we can put the last 3 games behind us and kick on again to finish the season strongly to win the league comfortably.

And again as i said earlier no pant wetting from me but not blindly going with the in Nuno we trust method that some seem to be because that's not how things work.

Back