• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

There are definitely certain words for shorter people that would get you in seriously hot water over here... As I learned/relearned recently with "twat", though, I shouldn't take for granted that those words are the same or even exist at all in British English.

It would appear someone called Podence a heightest name
Interesting. I think a few members of this very forum could get in trouble for some of their previous comments aimed towards me if that’s the case ;)

In all seriousness, as a short arse who has enjoyed various height related nicknames from my pals over the years, I can confirm this story had me chuckling in to my brunch. Funny old world we live in now, isn’t it?

There are definitely certain words for shorter people that would get you in seriously hot water over here... As I learned/relearned recently with "twat", though, I shouldn't take for granted that those words are the same or even exist at all in British English.

One of our biggest retailers (Marks and Spencer) announced yesterday that they're removing the word Midget from Midget Gems confectionary so I imagine my employer will he following suit shortly. I do think there's a growing movement here to protect that characteristic on par with with the other protected ones.

Yep, that's exactly the word that came to mind, Lincs.

Doesn't make any sense to me, midget just means small doesn't it? People will just come up with a different word if they want to be abusive in that way.
"Midget" was the word used to describe people with dwarfism who were presented as sideshow acts at traveling circuses.

IE, its etymology has become rooted in presenting an individual as "less than" a normal human. That's why some people consider it a slur.

This etymology could be different in the UK, granted.

"Midget" was the word used to describe people with dwarfism who were presented as sideshow acts at traveling circuses.

IE, its etymology has become rooted in presenting an individual as "less than" a normal human. That's why some people consider it a slur.

This etymology could be different in the UK, granted.
I'd assumed midget was a term for very small that had been hijacked as slur.

I'd assumed midget was a term for very small that had been hijacked as slur.
Could be both.

Not drawing a parallel between the severity, but as an easy example, you likely won't catch many people in the west wearing a swastika these days, whatever the symbol was originally intended to mean ("good fortune", I believe, in the original Sanskrit).

The world evolves. My initial reaction was how stupid, but homphobic slurs were fair game 20 years or so ago, so I guess I'm open minded to whether it's offensive or not. Much more likely he was called a dwarf than a midget I'd have thought

One of our biggest retailers (Marks and Spencer) announced yesterday that they're removing the word Midget from Midget Gems confectionary so I imagine my employer will he following suit shortly. I do think there's a growing movement here to protect that characteristic on par with with the other protected ones.
Wouldn't it be easier to just put the packs on a higher shelf?

The world evolves. My initial reaction was how stupid, but homphobic slurs were fair game 20 years or so ago, so I guess I'm open minded to whether it's offensive or not. Much more likely he was called a dwarf than a midget I'd have thought

This is it, my mate was clearing his grandma's property after she passed and gobsmacked when he found something from the Spastic Society. That word was lost with the emergence of 'spazz' as a pejorative term and they renamed themselves Scope.

Did I hear the other day that with every shot on target he has scored ?

I'm sure MOTD put the stat up that it's 2 goals from 4 shots.

Yay, got my membership gift pack today, I'd forgotten about it tbh. Won't use the clip, flag will probably go to one of my grandkids, snood might come in handy on my motorbike.

Back