• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

Having players coming through your development ranks should be something to aspire to rather than building your business model around imo. Treat it as a bonus, not a necessity

Made more sense to me when the Academy was being run to produce professional players not necessarily at Wolves and be self funding than how he speaks about it now in the E&S interview

Made more sense to me when the Academy was being run to produce professional players not necessarily at Wolves and be self funding than how he speaks about it now in the E&S interview
Agreed, and it was he that told us that was how it was being run too?

Our leaders do seem to change their mind a lot, almost as though they can't remember what they have said in the past because it wasn't actually the strategy, it was just soundbites.

No problem with having someone at the club in Sellars position, but I wonder what success he can point to that justifies having that power now, and the fact he sounds pretty full of himself?

'Steadying the ship' over the past couple of years the kindest thing you could say about him? Our best recruitment surely pre-dates him in a senior role, and we know a fair chunk of it was Mendes anyway?

Note how there is more emphasis on the latter than the former: :ROFLMAO:

“It’s important that we all try and get to the same decision,” Sellars said. “I don’t want to sign players that he doesn’t want and I don’t ever want to sign players that he wants and I don’t want. It’s very much a team decision.

He seems to either wield a lot of power at the club, or likes to think he does, based on how he talks about himself.

Is it ignorant and unfair of me to wonder what he's done to be in such a powerful position? Worked his way up fairly, or over-promoted?

He's not the first academy coach that we've over-promoted to DOF. I think it's a byproduct of having an owner that's so new to football - they have no knowledge, so somebody with *some* becomes a guru. I reckon Jeff would even be impressed by Cyber in a football chat

Last edited:
Sellars comes across like he almost doesn’t want us to get European football.
He really doesn't come across very well.

He is toeing the party line of not spending and is clearly Fosun's new shit shield.

The financial line about not bankrupting the club is laughable considering the accounts were just published showing we just made a healthy profit.

And whilst it's not unusual for a DoF to be part of the process I'm uncomfortable with the line 'if it's not a player I want'. I couldn't give a flying fuck if Sellers wants a player or not, he's not the manager.

Not only that, the academy recruitment doesn't support 3-4-3 either.
Maybe the long term plan of those upstairs is not 3 at the back. Bruno came in and instantly went to 4 and just as quickly decided our current crop of defenders were shit at it.

Maybe the long term plan of those upstairs is not 3 at the back. Bruno came in and instantly went to 4 and just as quickly decided our current crop of defenders were shit at it.
The recruitment predates Bruno's arrival.

The recruitment predates Bruno's arrival.
Ok, roll back a season and Nuno flipped to 4 at the back and *checks notes* the current crop of defenders were shit at it.

So easily a plan that started 2-3 years ago and 1 manager couldn't do it so, he had a fall out left/sacked and we replaced him with a manager who had played 4 at the back and gave him the same shit tools (bar a kid from South America and a ludicrously late bid for Botman).

So currently having to mirror the 1st team in case they are needed instead of actually signing players suited to how they want the team set up*

*Allegedly. Don't sue me Jeff.

E&S reporting that we are in talks with Ruben over a new deal.
Good news.
If he does sign a new deal and a release clause is written into it I don't think anyone would begrudge him a move on should the big boys come calling.

Back