• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

I agree.

However there is a market for it with the yoof.

The lazy devils seem to enjoy watching other people play games, more than playing theirselves.
Yep. Millions of subscribers for that shit. Remember my kid glued to the Fortnite world cup.😬

A quick look on Google tells me they've won just over $5m.

Certainly a bit strange to sink nearly $40m into a stadium on the strength of that but as long as it doesn't impact us I don't care.

My kids watch people playing Minecraft and I think that's mad but there are huge crowds for these things so what do I know 🤷

The prize money is mostly divided by the players and management teams from my understanding. The stadium won't actually be for Wolves I presume but imagine they are trying to build like the Wembley for Esports from reading the little info there.

Getting very close this this being like my lessons (BTEC Level 2 Esports - Esports games, teams and tournaments...) but the most successful teams don't actually make their money from the actual purses.

Faze - content creation and partnership tie ins
Endpoint - hire out facilities
Several others its Streaming and ad click rev.

Despite my downplaying of the growth other, the Saudi's are now getting involved, they've just put forward the largest amount of prizepool money ever although I forgot what for (think it's league of legends or Dota2).

I know the Rainbow Six team they put out were basically a reskin of an already successful team that spilt from their management.

They look older than our bench last night

As someone who has watched the odd “eSport” (though I loathe the term) I find the severity of the negativity around it quite odd.

An e-sports... stadium? The fuck is that.

Not sure how much money there is in watching that 'live', 2k people aren't crowding around a computer or phone. Surely it will be on a big screen anyway which you can easily see from your TV feed at home. One of those interests which makes me feel very old, don't understand what appeals at all.
No different to going to watch darts live to me.

As someone who has watched the odd “eSport” (though I loathe the term) I find the severity of the negativity around it quite odd.

Aye the term 'eSports' definitely does it no favours, like it's an affront to actually physical excellence.

I think "Virgin geek fuckwads playing games because they're too scared to go outside and talk to girls" would be fairer marketing and probably make things a bit clearer for their target audience

I’ve been called a lot of things but “virgin geek fuckwad” may be the most accurate yet

Aye the term 'eSports' definitely does it no favours, like it's an affront to actually physical excellence.

I think "Virgin geek fuckwads playing games because they're too scared to go outside and talk to girls" would be fairer marketing and probably make things a bit clearer for their target audience

It's actually been rebranded as Esports for a while, at least in the UK and most of Europe. All Wolves channels are that way for example. Shows the issue of getting the naming wrong the first time that many still spell it that other way.

It's that fear of the unknown isn't it? I don't know for sure, but I'd wager most of the regular posters on this forum are over 30 years old. eSports is very much a younger generational thing - and it's absolutely massive. But I suspect there's a lot of negativity around it because a lot of us just "don't get it". I certainly don't see the appeal of watching other people play games when I can just play them myself - but then you look at the likes of KSI that started out making YouTube videos of himself creating silly looking fifa career mode players & pissing himself laughing to the point he wakes his mum up in the room next door - who is now a billionaire, and that speaks volumes.

Essentially for us middle aged/older fans, we don't care about eSports - we just want our club to be successful and to sign good football players.

skinner-out-of-touch.gif

Back