• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

“We had to shop at the other end but who’s to say Aldi is not as good as Waitrose. I like going in Aldi, they’ve got a nice bottle of whisky in there.”

:icon_lol:

..and 2 of those clubs who have spent bags of money on some bang-average players are Villa and Derby - hypocrisy of the highest order.

Derby haven't spent that much have they?

About £10m net I think. Villa are about the same as us in terms of net spending of around £15m net. Villa's wage bill might be a bit higher though.

To be fair, Colin is always decent about us as a club. He gets a bit ranty after individual games, but he’s always said good things about the club.

About £10m net I think. Villa are about the same as us in terms of net spending of around £15m net. Villa's wage bill might be a bit higher though.
Got the impression they have invested significantly over a number of years,
Can't think of many they've spent much on lately.

Think Lawrence cost a fair bit this summer and another few million on Jerome in January maybe? Think Davies and Huddlestone were both free transfers weren't they?

Can't remember many before that to be honest, Johnson and Butterfield might have cost a bit I imagine but they seem to had the bulk of their squad around for quite a while.

Tim II just been on TalkSport 2, talks surprisingly well

Can't think of many they've spent much on lately.

Think Lawrence cost a fair bit this summer and another few million on Jerome in January maybe? Think Davies and Huddlestone were both free transfers weren't they?

Can't remember many before that to be honest, Johnson and Butterfield might have cost a bit I imagine but they seem to had the bulk of their squad around for quite a while.
A couple of seasons ago they spent nearly £30m on Jonhson, Ince, Butterfield, Blackman, Shackell and Weimann plus a few expensive frees like Baird and Bent. They aren't in any position to throw stones

Some reports about saying that we’re only paying neves, Jota etc £20k a week and that’s where the accusations of unfair advantage are coming from...

We'd only be obliged to cover whatever Jota's Atleti wages are. It wouldn't overly surprise me if his Atleti contract was around that mark given he came from a Portuguese minnow of a club.

No doubt he'll be on considerably more than that after the permanent deal is completed.

Some reports about saying that we’re only paying neves, Jota etc £20k a week and that’s where the accusations of unfair advantage are coming from...

What?? We're only paying 20 year olds £20k a week... Somebody contact the "National Living Wage authority"!

They'll be on massive bonuses should we get promoted, at which point they'll either have triggers in their contracts or just re-negotiate terms.

This is the bit I don't get. What do they think Atleti and Porto 20 year old squad players are on? The notion that Jorge gives them a secret monthly payout to top up their wages is laughable. Perhaps we should have just signed James Bree and Henri Hansbury paid them more and not pick them?

We'd only be obliged to cover whatever Jota's Atleti wages are. It wouldn't overly surprise me if his Atleti contract was around that mark given he came from a Portuguese minnow of a club.

No doubt he'll be on considerably more than that after the permanent deal is completed.

I wouldn't say Pacos are a minnow, exactly, but I definitely doubt Jota was on a great deal of money (read: more than 10k) there and certainly he wasn't ever involved for Atletico's senior team so wouldn't be on anything like that kind of money (or even the money Neves probably is/was making). Unless he signed a contract extension with Atletico after his Porto loan that I'm unaware of. 15k-20k/week is probably in the right ballpark.

He signed for Atletico for 7.2m which shows they rated him at that age but it was hardly like he was already seen as the next big thing for them. It's weird to me that suddenly our competitors seem to remember it that way. You'd think we'd brought in Yannick Carrasco.

I agree. I can't imagine Jota being on more than £20k. I've no idea what Neves was earning at Porto but I imagine we'd have had to give him a healthy wage increase to help to convince him to sign with us.

Apart from Neves though, we haven't signed anyone this season who I would have thought would have been on a really big wage. Ruddy is probably one of the other higher earners and Mendes had absolutely nothing to do with that signing.

I'm not really sure what all the complaints are about, it's not as if these players were turning down Premier League clubs or other top European clubs to sign for us. Most of them were gambles that have paid off due to good management. Plus, Nuno will have played a massive part in players like Neves, Jota and Boly signing rather than it all being down to Mendes.

That's the best bit of cognitive dissonance about the whole thing.

August: "They've signed too many foreigners. They won't hold up to the Championship grind."

March: "They've signed too many foreigners! They're too good for the Championship grind!"

Back