• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

Until he goes cashless to speed up his queue of course...

Seems to be a growing theme, Silverstone was pretty much cashless at the F1 too.

For me its good as its going make things move quicker and will prevent me getting annoyed at the young kids who can't do change in their head from a fiver if it costs £4.50

We have had this discussion before. I am very unhappy at this decision and it means I won’t buy the products on offer. It’s a red line for me.

It definitely should speed things up. I hardly ever use cash any more and rarely have it on me. I guess the pub is one of the only remaining establishments where I'll feel the need to pay with cash (even though most, if not all, the ones I go in will take cashless payments!).
The pub is pretty much the only place I carry cash as well! Mainly to help track spends whilst having a beer.

Mind you it does create an awkward moment whilst eating out about having cash for a tip...

We have had this discussion before. I am very unhappy at this decision and it means I won’t buy the products on offer. It’s a red line for me.

Thing is at some point you will have to change the way you do things as a few years down the line a lot of places you use will be cashless. Just the way things are heading

I always carry *some* cash (you never know if a machine is going to be out of order, I was in the Co-Op once and there was mass panic as there was some kind of nationwide network outage...I was alright though) but I rarely use it outside the pub. I get an immediate receipt to my phone every time I buy something with Samsung Pay so no problem with tracking spends.

Don't pay tips by card at the end of a meal, I'm paying for service and I want the person who's served me to personally have that if they've done a good job, not just chucking more money at the business, they've already had their bit for the food and drinks.

I didn't think tipping was a thing in Europe.

Thing is at some point you will have to change the way you do things as a few years down the line a lot of places you use will be cashless. Just the way things are heading

Those places that go cashless won’t get my business then. Simple as that.

Honestly paddy, have you looked into alternative cards such as monzo or Revolut? Just wondering, as it could be a solution for you?

Nothing like as ingrained as it is on your side of the pond (where customers are basically obliged to top up miniscule basic wages) but it's still the done thing to tip for good service, more so in the last 10-15 years than previously. 10-12% as a rule of thumb, maybe round a £26 bill up to £30, that kind of thing.

Places that add gratuities on to a bill by default get it crossed off, you don't tell me what I should or shouldn't pay.

Edit: Depends where you are of course. If I'm just grabbing a burger and chips in a pub then I'm not tipping for that. A proper meal in a restaurant or a pub meal where they've had to serve a big group of us, then yes.

I don’t want a solution. I have a solution in carrying a set cash amount for the day. I don’t want to use cards or electronica

I always carry *some* cash (you never know if a machine is going to be out of order, I was in the Co-Op once and there was mass panic as there was some kind of nationwide network outage...I was alright though) but I rarely use it outside the pub. I get an immediate receipt to my phone every time I buy something with Samsung Pay so no problem with tracking spends.

Don't pay tips by card at the end of a meal, I'm paying for service and I want the person who's served me to personally have that if they've done a good job, not just chucking more money at the business, they've already had their bit for the food and drinks.

Similar to me - only place I tend to use cash is if it's an old man's pub (and I'll be honest - I frequent these pretty regularly) and they don't accept cards. Otherwise it's so much easier.

And you're right with tips - fuck off am I adding it to the total on the card. That's left in cash for the person who's served me.

I think this is a good move - I've wasted too many half time breaks just stood in a queue so the less time I have to spend in them so I can laugh at whatever 'entertainment' they have on the pitch during the interval, the better.

I don’t want a solution. I have a solution in carrying a set cash amount for the day. I don’t want to use cards or electronica

What do you do in say 5 years time where 90% of the places you use only do cashless though. You can ride it out now but its going to happen

Its the 21st Century, the move to a cash less society is well on the way - only people who will be upset it seems are money laundering outfits and Paddy

In Spain the locals don't tip IME. In the UK tipping is discretionary. However up until a few years ago in the UK it was common practice in pubs for barstaff to be 'treated' to a drink by customers.

Its the 21st Century, the move to a cash less society is well on the way - only people who will be upset it seems are money laundering outfits and Paddy
I prefer cash tbh, particularly when I get my hair cut or car washed.

You can all take the piss. I don’t care. They won’t have a penny from me having gone cashless. This makes my method of budgeting infinitely more problematic so the solution is to not buy from them.

I only ever carry cash for when I go up to Wolverhampton and even then it's mainly for places like the Combermere which are cash only.

I remember paying for drinks somewhere in Wolvo last season using Google Pay on my phone and two old boys next to me in the queue looked at each other as if I had just performed some kind of alchemy.

I used to withdraw cash to track spending - not that long ago either (certainly within the last 10 years). I do think that technology needs to catch up in that sense so that people can budget properly. Google Pay does give you an instant notification about what you've spent and where you've spent it, but I appreciate that's not enough to stop you from spending money you'd rather not spend (there's no limit on contactless using your phone either - no £30 cap like you get with your bank card).

London buses went cashless a few years ago and everyone though the sky would fall in. Instead, it's made everything far more efficient. It is the future. But technology does need to catch up with ways to help people budget.

You can all take the piss. I don’t care. They won’t have a penny from me having gone cashless. This makes my method of budgeting infinitely more problematic so the solution is to not buy from them.
I'm not taking the piss. I am in agreement with you.

Back