• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

It's not really taking the piss, just that your stance isn't going to be viable as time goes on...

You're better off not buying stuff from inside the ground for a number of reasons, being a complete waste of time and money primary amongst them.

I didn't think tipping was a thing in Europe.

Most London restaurants will now include a 12.5% 'discretionary' service charge when you receive your bill (or "check" as you would call it). And people will always pay it.

In France, there has always been a culture of tipping waiters, even if you're just having a coffee. I remember there was a big deal when the Euro came in because most people would tip French waiters a 10 franc piece as a matter of course, and then - out of ease - the tip became a 1 euro piece (at the time of the switch, a euro was about 2/3 of the value of 10 francs).

I do think that technology needs to catch up in that sense so that people can budget properly. Google Pay does give you an instant notification about what you've spent and where you've spent it, but I appreciate that's not enough to stop you from spending money you'd rather not spend (there's no limit on contactless using your phone either - none of this £30 cap nonsense you get with your bank card!).

Should be easy enough to set up. Some banks might even do this now (mine doesn't, at least as far as I can see) - but just set something in the app so you can only spend a maximum of say, £50 on that day. If you want that limit unlocked then you have to literally phone them up after the £50 has been expunged (hardly anyone will bother doing this unless it's a genuine emergency, they'll just go home, who wants to be talking to a call centre and explaining that you need more cash when you've had a skinful).

Then it's exactly the same as carrying around £50 in notes with no cash card in your wallet.

Should be easy enough to set up. Some banks might even do this now (mine doesn't, at least as far as I can see) - but just set something in the app so you can only spend a maximum of say, £50 on that day. If you want that limit unlocked then you have to literally phone them up after the £50 has been expunged (hardly anyone will bother doing this unless it's a genuine emergency, they'll just go home, who wants to be talking to a call centre and explaining that you need more cash when you've had a skinful).

Then it's exactly the same as carrying around £50 in notes with no cash card in your wallet.

Yep, perfect solution.

Things change, my Nan was still moaning about decimalisation in the 90s. In this case its going to be easier for almost everyone so its going to happen, bets thing is to work out how you can make it work for you.

Or get a Monzo card? It's what I use. I transfer my weekly spend onto it and ignore my Santander account, which is for bills and saving. If I run out for the week then it's tough.

You can all take the piss. I don’t care. They won’t have a penny from me having gone cashless. This makes my method of budgeting infinitely more problematic so the solution is to not buy from them.

This is a genuine question Paddy, so please don't tell me to fuck off (like last time) but why does using a card to pay for things effect your budgeting over using cash?

How can I make it clearer. I have paper bank statements. I do transactions in branch. I don’t touch technology.

This is a genuine question Paddy, so please don't tell me to fuck off (like last time) but why does using a card to pay for things effect your budgeting over using cash?

I think it's because you could conceivably keep buying pints until your bank account is cleared out* if you are using your card rather than a finite amount of cash.

*and having seen Paddy drinking many, many times over the past 10 or 11 years, I'm sure he'd give it a good go..

How can I make it clearer. I have paper bank statements. I do transactions in branch. I don’t touch technology.

Ok, but why do you choose to do things this way? It surely takes more time and is more costly (parking, petrol) to do things that way?

I understand the frustrations of payments not clearing quickly, but most banks, as Dan says, will show up immediately now. Monzo is superb for budgeting.

I can't deal with carrying cash as I can never trace where it's gone.

It does on my account. Many times I have made food purchases in Morrisons on a Friday, checked by balance on a Saturday to withdraw some cash within budget and then found the food purchase coming out on about Tuesday leaving me broke if I don’t get paid on time (which seems to happening every fortnight at the moment - already 48 hours late in being paid this week and no sign of anything coming today either)

Even if mine doesn't come straight off the "main" balance immediately (the taxi firm sometimes doesn't) it will 100% come off the available balance immediately.

So if I had £100 in my account, spent £80 on something on my card and then went directly to the ATM, I'd only be able to draw out £20 even though the balance might still show as £100. It wouldn't let me draw out £100, no chance.

Back