• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

I think that's 3 at the back for at least the next month then
I'll be happy with that if it gets us up the table. Nothing wrong with 3 at the back for certain games. I think the work will be to change formation for certain teams, and that will require effort to teach the team.

I think that's 3 at the back for at least the next month then
Yeah, it's hard to see us going with a back four with no Boly now. I know he played Coady and Saiss in a few games but with no Podence either, it doesn't feel like we have the players for a 4231 now.

Yeah, it's hard to see us going with a back four with no Boly now. I know he played Coady and Saiss in a few games but with no Podence either, it doesn't feel like we have the players for a 4231 now.
We have to get either the full backs or the wide players coming inside more then and possibly sacrifice Moutinho for a player with more legs to push on more often (has to be Otasowie or possibly even Saiss if this happens). Simply can't have a player like WJ upfront and just basically exclude him because there's a chasm between him and the midfield. He's not Jimenez but get it to him and players around him i think we will create lots of chances

We have to get either the full backs or the wide players coming inside more then and possibly sacrifice Moutinho for a player with more legs to push on more often (has to be Otasowie or possibly even Saiss if this happens). Simply can't have a player like WJ upfront and just basically exclude him because there's a chasm between him and the midfield. He's not Jimenez but get it to him and players around him i think we will create lots of chances
I said this at halftime and I know others have touched on it aswell, but the complete lack of chemistry between Semedo and Traore is a severe hindrance. No 1 2's, give or goes, or even dummy runs to draw a marker. Their pace should make them potent down that side, but look at when Adama was doubled up on today when Choudhury came to help Justin. Space inside which wasn't utilised either because Semedo didn't make the run or when he did Traore didn't look up

Tbf, the same was true of when Doherty was down that side.

I think that is why it's a tough one with Traore, because we could easily be hailing him for creating the winner had Pedro put his chance away, which was brilliant play but it relies on him doing those things to justify his place in the side when he so clearly doesn't combine with his team mates as well he should

Tbf, the same was true of when Doherty was down that side.

I think that is why it's a tough one with Traore, because we could easily be hailing him for creating the winner had Pedro put his chance away, which was brilliant play but it relies on him doing those things to justify his place in the side when he so clearly doesn't combine with his team mates as well he should
Another one of those training ground exercises you would imagine. Or even inside on a white board!

It doesn’t solve anything for us, given our current injuries, but I think Jonny on the right with Traore could work really well.

I think, compared to previous PL seasons, we're lacking combinations and partnerships generally (although Pedro has been much more effective this season than Adama he's still prone to being a head-down-and-run merchant).

A lot of this is due to us having (for various reasons) an unsettled side, some due to us trying our different ways of playing or interacting with each other.

The lack of pre-season and relentless playing schedule is definitely a big factor in our underperformance. Nuno moulds this team on the training pitch, you'd hope that's one reason why we should be much stronger next season.

Adama just doesn't link well with other players, never has and almost certainly never will. He doesn't know when to release the ball (or doesn't care) and his movement off the ball is still rubbish - although not quite the "stand stock still on the halfway line and wait for someone to pass it" variant that we had when we first signed him.

I know what we get out of him, sometimes it's worthwhile, sometimes it isn't. That's Adama, he won't change in any meaningful way. At best he might learn how to shoot and cross a bit better sometimes. Fairly annoying that having belted that one in vs Palace in the cup off his left foot, he's barely even tried it since despite having ample opportunities to do so.

We utilised Doherty outside of Adama, be it the outlet for the Neves switch of play, the Coady raking ball wide or him getting into the box to potentially score or create, so although they weren't a partnership they both offered something offensively. We have to try and find a way of doing something with Semedo that utilises his skills otherwise it'll remain Traore being double and trebled up on and therefore shutting that side down bar the few times a game he manages to beat that

Last edited:
I give him a little bit of a pass for movement - he is a sprinter and short incredibly sharp burst of energy expenditure need to be followed by recuperation, but I think he needs an intelligent player with good movement near him. I like Semedo too, but I don't think he is that player.

Adama just doesn't link well with other players, never has and almost certainly never will. He doesn't know when to release the ball (or doesn't care) and his movement off the ball is still rubbish - although not quite the "stand stock still on the halfway line and wait for someone to pass it" variant that we had when we first signed him.

I know what we get out of him, sometimes it's worthwhile, sometimes it isn't. That's Adama, he won't change in any meaningful way. At best he might learn how to shoot and cross a bit better sometimes. Fairly annoying that having belted that one in vs Palace in the cup off his left foot, he's barely even tried it since despite having ample opportunities to do so.

I think this is a big summer for Nuno and Adama. I think the former needs to decide whether latter can fit into where he wants to take the team or not.

I think it's fair to expect more from Adama, but I agree with Tony and Tredman in that he's the kind of player that needs a player or two around him who can make runs or take up positions that make the most of what he can do.

He can potentially bring chaos and draw opposition players to him, and we need to anticipate that as much as he needs to improve his quality and consistency.

If we want to play 4-2-3-1 longer term then we need another CB and another wide player. Those two are important for that formation IMO.

We do need another CM at some point but with someone behind the striker then it becomes less of a need for someone to carry the ball forwards from deep.

If we want to play 4-2-3-1 longer term then we need another CB and another wide player. Those two are important for that formation IMO.

We do need another CM at some point but with someone behind the striker then it becomes less of a need for someone to carry the ball forwards from deep.
Not sure we have the player to play behind the striker either

I wouldn't like to write Podence off. He was just starting to play well in our early run of games with four at the back. He was excellent in the first game against Arsenal for example. Unfortunately injuries stopped his form, but I think he'll be a good player in that role. He's quick, has good movement and is tricky with the ball.

Back