• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

Why would you think it would be the case? At no point has Jeff said there isn’t money to spend and essentially we’ve got two players in RAN and Vitinha who have played little but then so did Neto and Podence when they arrived and Donk didn’t kick a ball for 6 months.

We clearly chose the last window to build a next line of young talent to step in when the seniors are sold.

Our second XI would be:

Ruddy

Lonwjik——— Marques———Kilman

Hoever——Donk——Vitinha——RAN

Corbeanu———Silva———Podence
Those in red aren’t good enough long term and those in blue not ready yet but seen as the future.

It shows we need at least 3 players this summer.

Why would you think it would be the case?
You won't like the answer, but it's what Spiers has been saying, essentially due to Covid revenue reductions budget for new signings needs to come from
a) the £60m that could go on Vitinha, RAN and Jose
b) the selling of players on loan - Mir, Cutrone, Vinagre, Jordao
c) the selling of first team squad players. Traore being the obvious one

I don't hold a lot of faith in B, so that leaves a and c or you can dismiss it as bollocks

Some of what he says doesn't stack up, like getting £30-£40m for loan players for instance, but the rest makes sense to me. £60m + whatever you bring in from sales is a decent budget in the current climate.

I don't see how anyone can have a well formed opinion on Vitinha either way. I don't think Nuno trusts him in a 343 so either the formation needs to change or he needs to gain that trust. If the news around a limited budget is true I wouldn't spend £20m of it on him if it meant we couldn't get one of the 3 players for the positions we have all identified that we need. If that's not the case then fine.
I guess Nuno backs himself to be able to form an opinion on any player from his attitude and performance in training. Personally I would just like him to get a run in the team to see what he's got.....same with MGW and RAN

I’m no accountant, but a quick look at the accounts recently published suggested to me we should be loaded from a books perspective if maybe not neccesairily in cash flow due to staggered payments.

Our net spend in last years books was high, we would have turned a profit of around £20m last year if the TV money came at the usual time. Then last summer our net spend in the books was minimal (we don’t know this for sure, but on rumoured fees), plus the extra TV money from 19/20, low wages compared to most and minimal losses in match day revenue.

I don’t see how we aren’t coming out of this better than most and with old losses removed, and recent profits included, I don’t see how we don’t have a decent budget without external investment.

I guess Nuno backs himself to be able to form an opinion on any player from his attitude and performance in training. Personally I would just like him to get a run in the team to see what he's got.....same with MGW and RAN
I meant anyone on here, rather than Nuno or the coaching staff

I don’t see how we aren’t coming out of this better than most and with old losses removed, and recent profits included, I don’t see how we don’t have a decent budget without external investment.
Depends how you define decent. I'd say £60m before sales is

Prices must have sunk considerably during the pandemic, wont be the same amounts anymore i think

Depends how you define decent. I'd say £60m before sales is
Well our net spend was £105m ish and we still returned a theoretical £20m profit. With our net spend being zero for this season, Covid costing us little then surely it’s more than that.

For easy maths let’s say all our signings are on 4 year deals. Amortisation goes up £20m, but the Costa and Jota amortisation comes off too so let’s call that £2.5m each. Net £15m. But then we factor in £80m of player sales we’ve got £65m to play with just from that.

Given we turned a profit with a net spend of £105m we must have some kind of additional budget. Plus the £20m profit from 2019, the theoretical profit from 2020 (we got the money eventually just not in those accounts). So that’s £105m minimum plus whatever the normal budget is (minus impact of covid, £20-30m at most for me). That’s potentially double £60m without any sales.

If you think we are spending a net £120m I think you're going to very disappointed

I don't think we'll do that (we have limits on who we can attract for a start, even three seasons in) but I wouldn't trust Timbo's analysis in the slightest.

Bear in mind I showed him up on FFP when Nuno first came in and I'm a fucking idiot.

Found this quite interesting, a player (Mark Burke) who was probably a bit marmiteish for Wolves fans.

I don't trust his analysis - he says we are getting £12-£15m for Mir. I do think he's come to the right conclusion for the wrong reasons. If a £60m net budget is seen as insignificant - not saying that's the case here necessarily, then people have become ridiculously entitled.

If we can get that up to £100m by selling Traore and a couple of others who aren't wanted then Vitinha would be fine, assuming Nuno wants him, but if that became instead of that additional wide forward, mobile midfield player or centre half then that's when I think we should prioritise accordingly

Last edited:
If you think we are spending a net £120m I think you're going to very disappointed
I don’t think we will spend it no. But I don’t think we need to sell to buy like Tim is suggesting.

If it’s my money I’m spending £20m on Vitinha and then £80m on 3 players. What positions they are in depends on the long term plan, only Nuno knows that.

Even after that we’ve got money spare and if we get some money in for unwanted players then even better.

Soend any less than that then our recruitment was either shit hot and we got gems for cheap or more likely we have another season treading water/falling behind.

If a £60m net budget is seen as insignificant - not saying that's the case here necessarily, then people have become rediculously entitled.
Not sure how it’s entitled, it’s just doing the maths. I might be 50% out on my calculations/assumptions, but that’s still nowhere near £60m net.

Given what we’ve spent in 18/19 and 19/20 yet still made a profit, what we bought in fee wise in 20/21, what other like minded clubs are spending (who are making less money due to bigger squads/higher wages), what they stand to lose in comparison from Covid, what the apparent ambitions of the ownership are, then yes, I would say that is insignificant. Puts us closer to the Crystal Palace model than a top 6 pushing team.

Nothing wrong with the Palace model, the fans and owners know where they’re at. They haven’t given it the big talk saying they’re going to going to be the next City, 10 year plans, there’s money to spend, return to former glories etc.

Back