• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

You need to read the article again Andy, it's Fosun Sports Group that own Wolves eSports.
Good point.

I guess the question, with an obvious answer is, are Fosun doing all this purely to benefit a football club?

Good point.

I guess the question, with an obvious answer is, are Fosun doing all this purely to benefit a football club?
It seems obvious to me that it's a no as Jeff stated Wolves have to be self sufficient.

They are doing it to benefit the badge of a football club which is iconic. They believe they can monetise it for the benefit of Fosun, rather than Wolverhampton Wanderers.
That's the thing I don't quite "get" though, is the wolves badge really that iconic? In the grand scheme of things.

If they wanted to create a brand why not just do exactly that, buying a football club seems like a lot of extra, unnecessary work.

They are doing it to benefit the badge of a football club which is iconic. They believe they can monetise it for the benefit of Fosun, rather than Wolverhampton Wanderers.
It's pretty much what every investment company does when they own a product. Use the best of it to their advantage. To them the Wolves badge is the biggest thing we have. To us it isn't. But we don't physically own the brand so there's bugger all we can do.

I think what they are trying to do is build the brand to a point where they are inundated with large corporate sponsorship which will then allow invesment into the team without Fosun pouring money in. Whether that happens we'll see i guess.

It seems obvious to me that it's a no as Jeff stated Wolves have to be self sufficient.
If eSports would do that then brilliant, but I can't see Fosun letting profits be ploughed back into wolves without taking, if not all, then certainly a sizeable chunk.

I guess it'll come down to who sponsors actually sign up with, whether it's Wolverhampton Wanderers or Fosun Sports group - which I think is what you were getting at.

That's the thing I don't quite "get" though, is the wolves badge really that iconic? In the grand scheme of things.

If they wanted to create a brand why not just do exactly that, buying a football club seems like a lot of extra, unnecessary work.
To the Chinese (and Asia) yes it is.

If eSports would do that then brilliant, but I can't see Fosun letting profits be ploughed back into wolves without taking, if not all, then certainly a sizeable chunk.

I guess it'll come down to who sponsors actually sign up with, whether it's Wolverhampton Wanderers or Fosun Sports group - which I think is what you were getting at.
On profits, it depends what Fosun's endgane is. If they want to sell you have a healthy profitable business to sell. If they want to attract investment they have the same story. If they want to take money out they have the wrong business as the profit is mainly on paper.

Sponsors of Wolves the football club will only pay Wolves. The same would apply to the Fosun Sports Group.

I wouldn't be surprised if Wolves the football club license the logo and strip to Fosun Sports Group for a peppercorn fee.

Says everything about where their priorities lie when instead of announcing shit like this new sponsorship on the eSports page they are announcing it on the Wolves account.. meanwhile important news about tickets and loyalty points is kept off there and added on "Wolves Help"

The wolves badge or just wolves in general?

Edit. I just don't believe that wolves (the club) are known throughout China and Asia
That’s part of the point. You have a badge you can grow as a brand in China and Asia without the “unnecessary window dressing” of having a club name in a language that market doesn’t readily understand.

The wolves badge or just wolves in general?

Edit. I just don't believe that wolves (the club) are known throughout China and Asia
The Wolf in the badge. The football team i doubt it, although they will be known because we are in the PL.

Good article on Wolves.co.uk on the medical side. Interesting that they talk of staff happiness going south last season, and them addressing it this one.
You only have to look at the players faces to see that.

So Fosun paid £20m and invested further £10m's because they liked the badge?

I'm not sure I buy that when branding agencies are a thing.

So Fosun paid £20m and invested further £10m's because they liked the badge?

I'm not sure I buy that when branding agencies are a thing.
Investment companies invest in what they see as something that will make money for the company. Usually they look long term unless it is a quick buy to sell.

Back