• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

You're never going to pinpoint perfect targets every time are you? If they see a player that catches their eye he'll get noted and followed for a while, then perhaps presented as an option to sign somewhere down the line, maybe even for a different manager to the incumbent when the process started. I don't see any surprise that a provisional list is heavily filtered down when discussions around signings start to become more serious.

No different to someone looking for a new house or a car, you might shortlist 20-30 flicking through Rightmove or Autotrader, then you knock it down to 10 or so that you want to go and have a look at, maybe 5 of those tempt you into a bit of loose negotiation and eventually you settle on one to make an offer for.

That's not how it was positioned though. It was as if they had done all of that work and that was the final list. Of which 2/3 were deemed unsuitable by a manager who according to previous reports gives them the parameters of the type of players he wants.

To quote your analogy. We wanted a 3 bedroom semi and 2/3 of the list were either 2 bedroom terraces or studio flats.

His employers will probably look at it differently though, they see good return. The pratings of a few fans doesn't show up on the bance sheet.

What are his options then though? He's not going to get a bigger gig
Don't know depends on what jobs are available doesn't it. Don't see why it needs to be a bigger job if the narrative is he's being held hostage by the fact no other premier League club would touch him.

Even in May 2019, Wolves had an accumulated loss of £90 million. Yes, that £90 million is a paper loss but believed enough by The Inland Revenue that Wolves didn't need to pay any tax after declaring a £19 million profit.

At 31 May 2020, Wolves liabilities were £45 million more than their assets and only seem solvent because of the £78 million equity investment.

According to the cash flow statements in the accounts, the actual cash, Wolves were lent £56 million by Foson Group companies and spent £80 million on players.
In 2020, Wolves borrowed £25 million and spent £118 million on players.
you could be funded entirely by debt and be solvent, provided you had an agreement that the debt won't be called. that would have to be the case here since with a creditor to owners of >£127m, unless the company can immediately call in the equivalent debtor from the club of £127m then there would technically be an insolvency risk. ie if the full debt was callable, how could it be paid? it is odd that note 16 states that amounts due to parent undertakings are repayable on demand. there must be a support letter for the auditors to have signed off, which would normally be disclosed, unless i missed something from my very brief look.

The most worrying part of that article for me (and there are lots of worrying aspects) is that Shi seems to consider these esports fans, or fans of the Wolves brand equally valuable as match going, "proper" fans.

The most worrying part of that article for me (and there are lots of worrying aspects) is that Shi seems to consider these esports fans, or fans of the Wolves brand equally valuable as match going, "proper" fans.
That part of the article sent shivers down my spine.

The 200k UK based legacy fans mean nothing to this club anymore. Couldn't be any clearer.

That part of the article sent shivers down my spine.

The 200k UK based legacy fans mean nothing to this club anymore. Couldn't be any clearer.
Literally referred to us as “only 200k”.

I don’t even live in Wolverhampton and that pissed me off! 😂

"I think it’s a good window, of course we can do better, but if you compare the squad to the end of last season, I think we’ve done a good job. The squad is larger, we have more fit players and we have players who are improving. I can’t say it’s the best window, but it was good.

Eh?

That's not how it was positioned though. It was as if they had done all of that work and that was the final list. Of which 2/3 were deemed unsuitable by a manager who according to previous reports gives them the parameters of the type of players he wants.

To quote your analogy. We wanted a 3 bedroom semi and 2/3 of the list were either 2 bedroom terraces or studio flats.
Might not be that extreme a criteria on which they failed the Bruno test.

If I found 20 or 30 houses that suited our demands for a 3 bedroom, detached house with off street parking, I wouldn't be in any way surprised if my other half decided 2/3 of those options weren't unsuitable for reasons I couldn't even comprehend.

Surely this is what happens when you have a collaborative approach to decision making in any situation? Everyone has their own take on things and people end up striking through options from other peoples shortlists until you either find something that works for everyone, compromise on some of the demands or go empty handed if nothing suits.

And at some point you compromise or settle otherwise you are living in a cardboard box.

As I said previously I sounds like they were concentrating on the perfect deal, not the signing.

Way too much emphasis on a deal that suites us, sometimes it's about getting the player.

It's pretty pointless debating this with you Mark. You've decided to be on brand for the last week.

I don't accept there is any argument that comes from a position of competence which explains why we have 3 players to play in central midfield which includes a 35 year old who also plays International football before you look at a kid or a guy who has played exclusively in defence for the last 3 years

No different to the situation when Dicko was sold leaving Bonatini as the only forward option, but the team were winning then and had a manager everyone loved so it was always brushed under the carpet that Dicko wasn't seen as a viable option so it mattered little whether he was sat on the bench or in another club's dressing room.

Now granted, MGW, Vitinha and Otasowie did play more last season than Dicko did prior to his sale, not so much in the latter's case though, but if Lage doesn't fancy them to play any real part in his team then what difference does it make whether they're here or not? Dendoncker, Moutinho and Neves have been the only real central midfield options since Wolves were promoted, that situation is no different now, the drop off from them to the previous backups was already pretty significant so it's not like the situation is a million miles worse now than it was a few years ago.

I think it's a bit of a snowball effect rather than a massive issue in it's own right, when people are generally happy with things they'll gloss over a few faults but in the last 12 months the balance has tipped, more little things have started to go against what majority of people would want and there have been less enjoyable things to balance it out. So now we seem to be in a situation where every minor hiccup is greeted with great animosity because everyone's default stance for the time being is to be a bit fucked off with the club. Personally I don't think it'll take a great deal to overcome it, start to win a few games and climb the table then most things will be forgotten for many, success for Bruno would overshadow the memory of Nuno and players on the pitch doing well will vanquish the ghosts of signings failed.

Dicko left because it was clear he wasn't going to recover from his injury to be the player he was, something borne out by his career post then. Jota and Cav could both play down the middle if needed.

Last edited:
I find the we can't spend like City/Chelsea so fucking condescending, its a strawman argument and right out of Moxey's playbook. There isn't a Wolves fan alive who thinks we could drop the transfer fees either of those clubs can and do but we ought to be able to spend similar fees to other clubs in and around our stature in this league.

You don't get to tell us on one hand that we need to start reflecting clubs of a similar standing on one thing (ticket pricing) and then only refer to the super heavyweights to justify not doing the other (transfers/depth)

Dicko left because it was clear he wasn't going to recover from his injury to be the player he was, something borne out my his career post then. Jota and Cav could both play down the middle if needed.
In the same way Saiss can play in midfield if needed, especially now there is additional centre half in Mosquera to help free him from that position if required.

I'm not trying to say the situation is perfect, is anything in life? Just that there are precedents for similar situations elsewhere and reasons why they come about.

No different to the situation when Dicko was sold leaving Bonatini as the only forward option, but the team were winning then and had a manager everyone loved so it was always brushed under the carpet that Dicko wasn't seen as a viable option so it mattered little whether he was sat on the bench or in another club's dressing room.

Now granted, MGW, Vitinha and Otasowie did play more last season than Dicko did prior to his sale, not so much in the latter's case though, but if Lage doesn't fancy them to play any real part in his team then what difference does it make whether they're here or not? Dendoncker, Moutinho and Neves have been the only real central midfield options since Wolves were promoted, that situation is no different now, the drop off from them to the previous backups was already pretty significant so it's not like the situation is a million miles worse now than it was a few years ago.

I think it's a bit of a snowball effect rather than a massive issue in it's own right, when people are generally happy with things they'll gloss over a few faults but in the last 12 months the balance has tipped, more little things have started to go against what majority of people would want and there have been less enjoyable things to balance it out. So now we seem to be in a situation where every minor hiccup is greeted with great animosity because everyone's default stance for the time being is to be a bit fucked off with the club. Personally I don't think it'll take a great deal to overcome it, start to win a few games and climb the table then most things will be forgotten for many, success for Bruno would overshadow the memory of Nuno and players on the pitch doing well will vanquish the ghosts of signings failed.
I do think there is something in this. Fans will tolerate virtually anything if the team are winning.

I do think there is something in this. Fans will tolerate virtually anything if the team are winning.
Don't disagree with this, but the dissatisfaction thus far isn't with the team having 0 points from 3 games, it predates that and has been compounded by the transfer window.

Back