• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

Generous to consider £50m Neves' true market value, only one buyer was offering that level of fee and we know other, more conventional, parties didn't get close to what Wolves would've wanted.

True.

But even if you say he's 'worth' £30m. Well Tommy Doyle right now isn't worth half that, is he.

True.

But even if you say he's 'worth' £30m. Well Tommy Doyle right now isn't worth half that, is he.

I think £15m would be about the very top limit you'd consider paying for him, I still think he'd prove to be good value at that price over the next few years and if he were to move on like Dendoncker without nailing a starting spot you'd likely lose little money on him.

Playing wise comparisons of most of the current squad to those that flourished under Nuno are largely irrelevant in my eyes. The style of play is different and so the ability of players to suit one or the other is significantly impacted. I think the midfield options now available suit what O'Neill wants to do better than the players that they have replaced and likewise the players who have departed suited what Nuno wanted better than those now at the club.

Different strokes for different folks.

No ones paying £15m for Doyle
Joe Allen went for that over a decade ago, similar style of player in my eyes, Doyle perhaps got more of an eye for something threatening and the set piece delivery too. He just needs to bulk out his CV with some more playing time as much as anything else.

Doyle has been good, if not sexy.

IMO this conversation about whether he’s theoretically worth a quarter of what we got for Neves does him a massive disservice.

He’s ours and he’s done well when called upon; can’t that be enough? At least for a little while?

That's because he was carrying an injury. Sa is absolutely fine. When you're a GK, your errors are more exposed than outfield players.
I still think he's a better keeper than Patricio.
He was carrying an injury, a hand injury? As I recall. Hand injuries though, don't tend to cause the kind of decision making errors he was making.

He's still made some this season, his rushed clearance v Liverpool for instance led to either their equaliser or go ahead goal.

Those errors have been far less numerous this season though.

Doyle has been good, if not sexy.

IMO this conversation about whether he’s theoretically worth a quarter of what we got for Neves does him a massive disservice.

He’s ours and he’s done well when called upon; can’t that be enough? At least for a little while?
If you swapped the price tags of both Doyle and Guedes, you'd feel you'd slightly overpaid on both, rather than having your pants pulled down on one and being the pants puller on the other.

As bad a deal as Guedes was, the wheeling and dealing when selling Nunes has more than made up for it...

Not watched the video, but Keen and Judah are doing their top 5 players of the season in no order, I'll fast forward through but before I do let's see who agrees. For me also in no order:
Neto
RAN
Semedo
Cunha
Lemina

Gomes and Hwang have reasonable shouts though

Cunha
RAN
Neto
Lemina
Gomes

Tough to leave Hwang and his goals out, but you have to consider all aspects of their play for the role they've been given.

Yeah lots of individuals have done well tbh. Kilman has largely been good too really imo, just some games where he hasn’t risen to the occasion when we’ve needed him to which he has copped (deservedly) some flak for

Cunha
Neto
RAN
Lemina
Gomes

Sa, Kilman, Hwang and Semedo unlucky to miss out and the other regulars Toti, Sarabia and Dawson not far behind. All of the above have been better under GO than anyone previously.

Cunha, tell me a better player,in full flow with the ball at his feet?
Neto, would be top if he'd played more.
Semedo, starting to justify his price tag.
RAN, improved no end/got all the tricks n flicks and not afraid to show it.
Gomes/Lemina, I can't split them, although his fist pumping after a tackle probably means he edges it. :)

Last edited:
Neto
RAN
Lemina
Cunha
Dawson ( we look more solid with him in defence ).

Lemina
Cunha
Neto
RAN
Semedo

Actually tough to narrow it to just the five which is a very nice problem to have.

Back