• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Guardian On Sir Jack

We should try not to be divisive amongst ourselves at the moment.
Sir Jack would not have wanted that!

For me this is just part of a growing trend of Americanism style journalism, where shock and borderline viciousness are used to stir social media clicks.

Interesting, we all think that British journalism is the peak of vicious pot stirring.

For me this is just part of a growing trend of Americanism style journalism, where shock and borderline viciousness are used to stir social media clicks.

Do you know what Alan, after I wrote that I started to think about how much I hate the British news, both print and broadcast! I think the issue is I don't see any good American news, I only see the stuff that seems hateful or stupid, like the fox guy who was made a mug by Reza Aslan.

What I was thinking of when I made that comment is the social media blog shockers, like the guy that threatend to reveal details of a rap victim unless she came clean to him, I can't remember his name, or the one sided way in which some of the police shootings were being handled and broadcasted.

I have read through this thread and have even found myself agreeing with Del.

Do you know what Alan, after I wrote that I started to think about how much I hate the British news, both print and broadcast! I think the issue is I don't see any good American news, I only see the stuff that seems hateful or stupid, like the fox guy who was made a mug by Reza Aslan.

What I was thinking of when I made that comment is the social media blog shockers, like the guy that threatend to reveal details of a rap victim unless she came clean to him, I can't remember his name, or the one sided way in which some of the police shootings were being handled and broadcasted.

Ugh, don't even get me started on Fox News. Absolute cesspool, that network.

The problem with the news in this country is that the presentation is sensationalised.

Newspapers did it for years in order to sell more copy, and television news progs. have also succumbed to the habit of sensational headlines and reporting, to try and win awards.

It looks like podcasters are now doing the same and presenting subject matter, language, or style producing or designed to produce startling or thrilling impressions or to excite and please vulgar taste rather than be reasonable.

It's hard not to react when you are offended, but ignore the insult and it removes the oxygen from the room.

I can't work out how the Graun is still in business. It has a small circulation and consistently racks up large losses, and that's before you mention the drivel inside it.

"Not even cold on the slab"?

My word...

The problem with the news in this country is that the presentation is sensationalised.

Newspapers did it for years in order to sell more copy, and television news progs. have also succumbed to the habit of sensational headlines and reporting, to try and win awards.

It looks like podcasters are now doing the same and presenting subject matter, language, or style producing or designed to produce startling or thrilling impressions or to excite and please vulgar taste rather than be reasonable.

It's hard not to react when you are offended, but ignore the insult and it removes the oxygen from the room.

off topic, but Television News is the exam topic for GCSE Media studies this year so I can bee recording and watching a lot of news for class work, such a cynical business when you look at news stories of the day, compared to what gets shown on the news, they quickly get bored and move on from topics as well.

I can't work out how the Graun is still in business. It has a small circulation and consistently racks up large losses, and that's before you mention the drivel inside it.

"Not even cold on the slab"?

My word...

Part of the same group as autotrader, aka guardian cash cow.

Edit - my bad, sold it last year for a shed load of cash

Part of the same group as autotrader, aka guardian cash cow.

Edit - my bad, sold it last year for a shed load of cash

Almost a year to the day ago, yeah.

Edit: According to the Telegraph they sold it for approximately £600m. That's enough to prop the Gaurdian and the Observer up for quite a while.

I wold imagine your dreams of them going bump and leaving the field to your friends won't happen soon:

The sale proceeds, coupled with GMG's existing cash and investment fund, which stood at £254m at the end of March, are expected to provide financial support for the Guardian, Observer and theguardian.com website for at least 30 years, including funds for further potential digital and overseas expansion..

Edit: According to the Telegraph they sold it for approximately £600m. That's enough to prop the Gaurdian and the Observer up for quite a while.

And the rest of the trust's portfolio properties are profitable enough that the Guardian can lose up to ~£15m per year and happily survive.

For what it's worth - and not to defend a tasteless analogy - it doesn't really make sense to criticise a footballing podcast for "poor journalism" or whatever. It's a bunch of people discussing their opinions of the week's events in football, for better or worse it's not meant to be some dispassionate account like the 10 O'Clock News. (If you want that, you've got the results being read out at the end of Final Score.)

No mention of TWF though :(

If he is a Grauniad journo he probably just made a spelling mistake which wasn't corrected by any of the sub-editors

LOL

Back