• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

If Not Lage, Then Who?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weirdly he seemed to get on really well with the players at PSG

Moot point as he wouldn't come here anyway, much like Pochettino wouldn't. Chelsea being heavily linked with Potter though, wonder if he might be tempted.

Weirdly he seemed to get on really well with the players at PSG

Moot point as he wouldn't come here anyway, much like Pochettino wouldn't. Chelsea being heavily linked with Potter though, wonder if he might be tempted.
He's on his way for talks according to reports

I'm at the point where we're *so* bad, and he's completely incapable of change, and comes across worse and worse each week, that if you offered me in a binary choice, Kenny Jackett or Mick McCarthy instead of Bruno Lage, I'd take it.

I enjoyed watching their teams occasionally and neither of them are a fucking doss cunt.

Rogers has 2 5th place finishes and an 8th place to his name for Leicester in his last three seasons at Leicester . It's a pretty good record no matter what way you look at it .
I have always found it very hard to warm to him - no different to Lage in that respect , but unlike Lage he has the results to back it up .

It's all going pear shaped at the moment for Rogers and it will be interesting to see what happens there if they don't sack him .

Rogers has 2 5th place finishes and an 8th place to his name for Leicester in his last three seasons at Leicester . It's a pretty good record no matter what way you look at it .
I have always found it very hard to warm to him - no different to Lage in that respect , but unlike Lage he has the results to back it up .

It's all going pear shaped at the moment for Rogers and it will be interesting to see what happens there if they don't sack him .
I think if there ever was a case of a manager pushing to get sacked it's Rodgers

I think Rodgers has matured since his Liverpool days, and always comes across pretty composed and thoughtful when speaking.

Can't really say the same of Lage... "Costa is so committed he would try and break your legs on the pitch... That was a joke!" 🙄

So lets humor the AVB rumour for a minute.

- Portuguese so ticks the box straight away of being able to communicate with the majority of our squad.
- has Premier League experience.
- Left Marseille under a bit of a cloud so has a point to prove.
- In manager terms, still young.
- fairly confident he has preferred a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 formation which suits the squad.

- Openly said not long ago he wanted to be totally done with management...by around now

- Hasn't done anything special for a while or managed anyone for 18+ months

- Genuinely seems more interested in motorsport now

- Both spells in England ended in a bad spiral that he seemed completely incapable of fixing. Last one ended nearly 9 years ago too so no recent experience, the game moves on

I'd 100% take him over Lage, he wouldn't be someone I'd actively advocate though.

- Openly said not long ago he wanted to be totally done with management...by around now

- Both spells in England ended in a bad spiral that he seemed completely incapable of fixing. Last one ended nearly 9 years ago too so no recent experience, the game moves on

I'd 100% take him over Lage, he wouldn't be someone I'd actively advocate though.
Oh don't get me wrong. My post wasn't advocating we go get him; just pointing out a few reasons why I could see Shi & co being interested. Plus he's readily available.

Most of us are probably at a point where we're "anyone but Lage".

Most of us are probably at a point where we're "anyone but Lage".
Still some lines I wouldn't cross just to see a change of head coach, for example I would keep Lage if the alternative is Rafa (who has appeared today via interviews and how Everton wasn't his fault, so clearly thinks there are some jobs going to be available very soon)

Couple of possibles

Amorim at Sporting is struggling in the league early doors, so may be under pressure (no clue how they are as a club for firing managers after a few poor games, regardless of rep and he had started well in the CL)
Linked with Pedro Martins before, so could look at him again

You're bang on here.

The only thing that's keeping me from dismissing this AVB rumour as social media hogwash, however, is that we're a club with owners who have hired both Walter Zenga and Bruno Lage within the last half decade. Before they happened both of those appointments could have been argued, on paper, to be as logically unrealistic.

Appointing AWB is too knee jerk for me .

We need someone who will hang around for 4 seasons because he is good enough to do so , and make very good progress with the players , change our style to a far more aggressive one / or at least more risk taking .
We have bought Collins , Nunes and Traore , who are all young players with plenty of potential . Get a good Manager in who has the where with all to make the best of what he has and more .

AWB has spent very short periods with a fair few of his clubs and some have ended quite poorly . Sometimes he has a team doing very well for a season , but has been unable to sustain it , or just resigned .

We need stability , not uncertainty .

Who is that Manager....................

Fuck it, where's Bielsa? See once and for all if these lads know how to run.

You can't appoint anyone (less still Aaron Wan-Bissaka) with that kind of thinking.

In my 34 years watching us only three managers have lasted 4+ years. Turner, McCarthy and Nuno (and actually, he didn't quite last four calendar years, but he did do four full seasons). That's it. It hasn't been a routine thing for a manager to stay in place for that long for a very long time now.

You can't appoint anyone (less still Aaron Wan-Bissaka) with that kind of thinking.

In my 34 years watching us only three managers have lasted 4+ years. Turner, McCarthy and Nuno (and actually, he didn't quite last four calendar years, but he did do four full seasons). That's it. It hasn't been a routine thing for a manager to stay in place for that long for a very long time now.
It's so rare that I remember around the time Mick was sacked he'd managed to creep up to being the seventh longest-serving manager in English football. And that was when Ferguson was still at United, Moyes was still at Everton, and Wenger was still at Arsenal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back