• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2021 Transfer Window

Excellent points Jinky makes.However if Nuno started putting round pegs in round holes it would surely help. We have done two premier seasons with midfielder at sweeper and centre back and they have stepped up. But that can’t continue. Fabio is not a lone striker it appears. Neither is Cutrone. Play them together? Possibly. Neto as. 10 ? Possibly. I think we are seeing the difference that having an ownership that is a real profit making business. Zero net summer spend and now nothing this window so far when I can think of three positions we should be improving now. I will not start a boo Fosun or Nuno out chant but neither will I blindly follow in Nuno /Fosun we trust . It is a huge gamble to write off this season. If it backfires and we ho down it will not be a quick fix and will cost a lot more than 10m for Josh King or a 15m centre half.
Apparently Josh King wants 120k per week.

Excellent points Jinky makes.However if Nuno started putting round pegs in round holes it would surely help. We have done two premier seasons with midfielder at sweeper and centre back and they have stepped up. But that can’t continue. Fabio is not a lone striker it appears. Neither is Cutrone. Play them together? Possibly. Neto as. 10 ? Possibly. I think we are seeing the difference that having an ownership that is a real profit making business. Zero net summer spend and now nothing this window so far when I can think of three positions we should be improving now. I will not start a boo Fosun or Nuno out chant but neither will I blindly follow in Nuno /Fosun we trust . It is a huge gamble to write off this season. If it backfires and we ho down it will not be a quick fix and will cost a lot more than 10m for Josh King or a 15m centre half.
Going down would do some really serious damage. And i'm not talking about just playing in the championship. It would rock the whole club from top to bottom. I hope all the players/coaching staff realise this. Looking at the table at the end might be very bad reading if they don't..

Fucking depressing to even be contemplating all this. I really thought those days were a long way gone. Clearly not. I won’t comment on MGW as we only know snippets , other than to echo other posters in that this is really not the time for anyone on the playing side to appear disingenuous.

1 win in 9 and we're actually in an open transfer window and aren't going to sign anyone. Laughable stuff, really!

Also have to laugh at the folk (and there are less than the summer, admittedly) that are happy to continue burying their head in the sand and telling others not to “panic”, when it looks like another absolute failure of a window.

I know people don’t like him being criticised on here (and I’m sure the hilarious packet of crisps gag will be bought up in 3...2...1...) but Shi seems totally out of his depth.

However, it’s Nuno I feel sorry for. He’s basically working with players that don’t fit his new system, and been told to get on with it until some of the injured lads come back.

Difficult as the window may be, throwing a season with 20 odd games left is ridiculous, really.
You realise you’re not logged in as Prawnking?

Yeah it's just total spending. Although Net spend is a fan creation though really, and not that relevant really or as valuable as budget or cost tracking.
Not really, you need to consider selling players as I imagine accountants don’t see those figures as a fan creation.

However, it’s Nuno I feel sorry for. He’s basically working with players that don’t fit his new system, and been told to get on with it until some of the injured lads come back.

Which system and which players don’t fit it?

It’s not your money Andy, why are you bothered, genuine question?
I'd like us to get value for money with our signings and wages we offer. I'd rather we didn't spend that amount on King if we could use those resources elsewhere.

10m and 80k a week for him would be fine. That’s 4m a year in wages on a three year deal that’s 22m total. Keeps us within FFP and gets a genuine centre forward who could play with Raul or alone up top and take the odd penalty. I don’t think that’s a bad investment. Better than 30 m for Abraham or a short term Giroud deal

Not really, you need to consider selling players as I imagine accountants don’t see those figures as a fan creation.

Yeah but I mean that it doesnt have the impact many think like when they say "Where's the Jota money etc" - or in the old style reporting of a "war chest" - It's been factored into the overall budgets etc but if a team sold 5 players for 200 million then they don't necessarily have 200 million to replace them, based on a multitude of things.

Also just saw the Gibbs-White thing as was intrigued, and this seems to be turning into situation where some fans just hate him, sparked by someone needlessly calling him out for Saturday and MGW liking a positive message in his defence in response, and then part of the chain. People acting like he has publicly called out Nuno.

10m and 80k a week for him would be fine. That’s 4m a year in wages on a three year deal that’s 22m total. Keeps us within FFP and gets a genuine centre forward who could play with Raul or alone up top and take the odd penalty. I don’t think that’s a bad investment. Better than 30 m for Abraham or a short term Giroud deal

It’s a poor investment as there is zero return. At least with Abraham there’s a good chance on getting your money back at least and Giroud would only be for 4 months which is no risk at all.

Andy - fair enough.

I like King and think he is a better player than given credit for, but that feels a tad steep. Even knowing nothing about the wage structure I'd not see that as wise as if he doesn't work out or is a fringe player or regresses you'd find yourself in a McCormack situation where he was on a fortune and no one wants to go near his current money and the player has no desire to write it off.

It’s a poor investment as there is zero return. At least with Abraham there’s a good chance on getting your money back at least and Giroud would only be for 4 months which is no risk at all.

Andy - fair enough.
You won’t get Giroud for 4 months. Abraham comes with the usual British talent tax.

You won’t get Giroud for 4 months. Abraham comes with the usual British talent tax.
Don’t agree with either and doesn’t address my point that King is a poor investment.

Also just saw the Gibbs-White thing as was intrigued, and this seems to be turning into situation where some fans just hate him, sparked by someone needlessly calling him out for Saturday and MGW liking a positive message in his defence in response, and then part of the chain. People acting like he has publicly called out Nuno.
The kids liked ones that are nice about him, big shock. Grown men on there throwing strops.

Don’t agree with either and doesn’t address my point that King is a poor investment.
I don’t given the way we play and what we need. But it’s just opinion innit. At 15 m less than Fabio including wages he seems fine to me

I don’t given the way we play and what we need. But it’s just opinion innit. At 15 m less than Fabio including wages he seems fine to me
We're likely to get our money back on Fabio, you wouldn't get a penny back on King.

Back