• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2021 Transfer Window

They're going to watch this and think they're getting prime Nesta

Still a bit disappointed that we're not back in for Ainsley Maitland-Niles, as we were clearly interested during the last window. He looks like he's going to end up at one of our rivals, so is obviously available. Personally, I reckon he could do a better job in midfield alongside Neves than Donk, and he'd also provide additional cover at full back (and immediately improve that left hand side until Jonny is back).

Suppose it might be that Arsenal don't want to agree to a loan to buy, which we'd obviously prefer. So rather than improve someone else's player, we're probably happy to stick with Donk.

He was really good against Villa at home. However consecutive games against Jordan Hugill and Matt Smith (neither can really play football, but they're big lugs) broke him forever.

Still a bit disappointed that we're not back in for Ainsley Maitland-Niles, as we were clearly interested during the last window. He looks like he's going to end up at one of our rivals, so is obviously available. Personally, I reckon he could do a better job in midfield alongside Neves than Donk, and he'd also provide additional cover at full back (and immediately improve that left hand side until Jonny is back).

Suppose it might be that Arsenal don't want to agree to a loan to buy, which we'd obviously prefer. So rather than improve someone else's player, we're probably happy to stick with Donk.
I don't think Jeff or Fosun as a whole like being messed around. So given Arsenal said one price then kept moving the goalposts (and absolutely fucked AMN himself over - playing him all pre-season and in the early games, then as soon as the window shut, hardly gets a kick) I don't think we'd entertain the idea.

We've moved on from AMN as a wing back and signed other players and I don't think there is anywhere near enough evidence in his career so far that he's good enough to upgrade us in CM.
Yep, it'd be a bit of a blind punt in the only area we'd need him. He has by all accounts looked decent in CM in some Europa League games but against very poor opposition.

Looking at his attributes, it would be a fairly obvious calculated gamble that he'd be better than Donk in the middle, but I do accept the argument that he's not had a run at the absolute top level in central midfield for us to be completely sure. We've made bigger gambles in other areas that have failed miserably, so I'm surprised this one's being dismissed so easily, mind.

I think we need to sign the right person in midfield rather than just a body, so I’m fine not signing AMN, I’d rather play MGW.

Are we still talking about Saiss playing the next game as LWB...AND in the same breath pointing out AMN wouldn't fit into our current team? If we were in for him, I'd almost guarantee he'd start 90% of games between now and the end of the season across various midfield roles. (Sure he isn't a world beater, but better than what we have now - and I also prefer only loaning him with a buy option).

That said, I doubt we are even in for him.

We have four options at LWB even outwith Semedo who was probably in the top two performers on Saturday (low bar, yes);

Jonny
RAN
Marçal
Saiss (at a pinch)

You would not sign AMN to play there as he'd never get a game in a few weeks.

Let’s say in the hypothetical world AMN is better than Donck in our current system. He still isn’t the answer in 6 months time and would need improving.

He’s not better than Jonny and we’ve put our eggs in the Semedo basket. We’ve then also signed two youngsters for both those roles.
So a complete waste of everyone’s time and money.

If he can’t get a look in for midtable Arsenal then he shouldn’t be getting a look in for us. I’ll say it again, we aren’t in the position we are because of the players we have, it’s how we’re using them.

“Our solutions are within the squad”.

We already have at least three holding midfielders, we don't need another.

Back