• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2021 Transfer Window

New centre half needed for two years - not signed
New attacking midfielder needed for at least a year probably longer- not signed
Raul back up -possibly signed but bloody late.
Jota replacement- they put the mortgage on Fabio.
I hope we have enough to stay up. I hope we beat Arsenal. But given the talk and hope of Europe and champions league we are nearer championship. It’s the hope that kills you. Spectacular slide from the stated ambitions and little done to arrest it. We are buying players to improve them and sell them for profit not building a team to challenge. Just a humble opinion. Balance the squad looks more like balance the books. We will lose 3 or 4 in the summer. Clubs will offer them what we can’t. Disappointed. Again
Ever so umble Uriah Heep. 'Disappointed. Again.' A heep of shit alright. Things are tough but show some backbone and spirit man. That's not to say there isn't a good amount of shambles out on the pitch of late, but it's the previous forty years that have been a disappointment. Boo hoo we're not in the Champions League. Good god. Get a grip, maybe they're actually trying to get it right.

I like the look of Jose, but all in all, it’s another hugely disappointing window for Wolverhampton Wanderers and Fosun.

People will point to the lack of activity elsewhere, but there aren’t many other sides out there on the cusp of winning none of their last 10 games.

I hope it doesn’t bite us on the arse - and I’m sure the squad (and Nuno) are good enough to turn our fortunes around, but we should be able to say it as it is - it’s another very poor window.

It's hardly a must win nor is it realistic to expect a win. Arsenal have been good lately and we haven't.
It’s never must win and no you can’t expect a win. But I’m feeling sick about the game already.

I’m feeling sick about another defeat and what that means for Nuno.

I like the look of Jose, but all in all, it’s another hugely disappointing window for Wolverhampton Wanderers and Fosun.

People will point to the lack of activity elsewhere, but there aren’t many other sides out there on the cusp of winning none of their last 10 games.

I hope it doesn’t bite us on the arse - and I’m sure the squad (and Nuno) are good enough to turn our fortunes around, but we should be able to say it as it is - it’s another very poor window.
My word.

What were you actually expecting?

Fair, last two posts I read and a few more from the same person. Gives out a feel. And maybe I'm being overly confident? Just think this rotten spell must end somehow
Most people recognise we have issues, some of which are beyond our control but there are enough which are self inflicted which if fixed will make the difference. A few take that to the next level, either because looking at worst case makes them feel in greater control, or they can say I told you so if it does happen, or they are just attention seeking. Then there's the angry brigade, but that's not so prevalent here

My word.

What were you actually expecting?
Expect is the wrong word. We pretty much signed what I expected (although for a long time it didn’t look like we’d be getting a forward!).

What I’d have liked was an improvement on Donk in midfield. We could also have done with an improvement in the centre of defence - but I appreciate with our numbers back there it was always unlikely to happen in this window.

I'm happy to be critical when it's justified but there's no need to be despondent about this window IMO.

All I wanted from January was an experienced player to do a Raul-esque job up front and let Fabio take a step back. It's obviously early days but WJ looks to have the pedigree and characteristics, and if those initial impressions are correct having a strong focal point again will make a massive difference.

Nuno has plenty of good players at his disposal and injuries easing, I'm not sure whether in his current frame of mind I'd want to chuck more options at him right now, I'd rather he honed what he has into a competitive and effective team for the rest of the season.

Expect is the wrong word. We pretty much signed what I expected (although for a long time it didn’t look like we’d be getting a forward!).

What I’d have liked was an improvement on Donk in midfield. We could also have done with an improvement in the centre of defence - but I appreciate with our numbers back there it was always unlikely to happen in this window.
So how is it a “hugely disappointing window for Wolverhampton Wanderers and Fosun”.

Surely it’s OK, nothing more, nothing less

It was never really going to be a window of anything for anyone. Todays business from all teams is at a record low. No surprise when Football hasn't had fans in the stadiums for nearly a year. Everyone of those teams must be hurting financially right now.
I actually think getting WJ in was a real smart piece of business. No loan fee, and no option to buy a very decent forward. Which was our only real need right now as we did not have an equal in the squad.

So how is it a “hugely disappointing window for Wolverhampton Wanderers and Fosun”.

Surely it’s OK, nothing more, nothing less
Well it seemed like they were happy to add no one to the first team squad until they literally had no choice because of the state of the performances.

If we’re still a PL club come the summer (let’s hope so, eh?) then Fosun have a big window in front of them.

Aye, but let's judge that one when it comes, eh?

This was never going to be one where we brought in 3-4 players for myriad reasons.

Well it seemed like they were happy to add no one to the first team squad until they literally had no choice because of the state of the performances.

If we’re still a PL club come the summer (let’s hope so, eh?) then Fosun have a big window in front of them.
Well that's not the case. It's already been stated that we asked for Willian Jose before January but deals take time. Just because it wasn't done on the day 1 of the transfer window doesn't mean they weren't doing anything. We've needed a centre half and a ball carrying midfielder since we got promoted, i think everyone accepts this but you can't have seriously thought this was the window they were going to add them.

We will be in the Premier League. If we don't win one of the next 3 i would imagine Nuno will go and as long as they don't go Zenga, Saunders mental with the appointment then someone will be able to come in and get something out of the players already here.

I know Punts keeps banging the drum too but the answers are in the squad to get performances that we need. Nuno has to find a way of getting it out of them. Sorting out the tactical issues would be a start.

I completely understand why we have not made more signings but that does not mean that I don't think we had gaps in the squad that needed filling. I do think an attacker midfielder is necessary and would , in an ideal world , have liked to see one come in as too a centre half suited to a back 4. It is , however , a challenging time for all business. I do understand the people who have posted their disappointment. I think that is very different to criticism or the much used term of negativity, but perhaps that's just me. Willian Jose looks like excellent and much needed business and I really want him to get off the mark tonight!

Ever so umble Uriah Heep. 'Disappointed. Again.' A heep of shit alright. Things are tough but show some backbone and spirit man. That's not to say there isn't a good amount of shambles out on the pitch of late, but it's the previous forty years that have been a disappointment. Boo hoo we're not in the Champions League. Good god. Get a grip, maybe they're actually trying to get it right.
What on earth has my post got to do with getting some spirit or backbone? God forbid anyone who doesn’t have rose tinted glasses on then. So do we need a CH a CM upgrade? Pretty much everyone has it on the wish list if you read this thread? I am allowed to be disappointed without being wrong you know. We have put all our eggs in one basket and I think it is a risky strategy. I hope Nuno and the players have cleared the air and can move on together starting tonight. We are better than we are performing but we are currently where we deserve to be because of mistakes and some dodgy decisions and tactics. I am off to paint my spine yellow and shout we are doomed at passers by 🤪😘

What on earth has my post got to do with getting some spirit or backbone? God forbid anyone who doesn’t have rose tinted glasses on then. So do we need a CH a CM upgrade? Pretty much everyone has it on the wish list if you read this thread? I am allowed to be disappointed without being wrong you know. We have put all our eggs in one basket and I think it is a risky strategy. I hope Nuno and the players have cleared the air and can move on together starting tonight. We are better than we are performing but we are currently where we deserve to be because of mistakes and some dodgy decisions and tactics. I am off to paint my spine yellow and shout we are doomed at passers by 🤪😘
It’s the same every window, mate.

People have spent the whole month saying “no one has signed anyone, look at Liverpool they’re desperate for a defender and even they haven’t signed anyone!”.

I didn’t hear Liverpool being mentioned once yesterday after they signed a couple of defenders, though.

Like I’ve said in earlier posts; I get it, I understand it (our business in January), but it doesn’t mean I’m a “bad fan” or “pant wetter” or whatever else because I hoped for more. It’s similar to the performance v Chelsea. I get why we did it, I understand it - but I don’t have to like it.

Anyway, over to Nuno & the players.

Back