• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2022 Transfer Thread

Hwang is ok, it wasn't so long ago people on here were very excited by him, now they're very down on him, he's somewhere in the middle I think he'll score 5-10 a season and be an adequate squad player.

But as said signing him now is daft, presumably there is a financial reason to do it now rather than in summer.

He's still our joint-highest goal scorer in the league this season despite playing a fraction of the games of most of the other candidates.

The actual money's neither here nor there, but I can see the logic in it.

I'm not overly keen on Hwang, he can finish ok and linked up well with Jiminez but he's not a great footballer. At £14m IF money wasn't tight I'd say it was a low risk punt that gives us an option to play 2 upfront.

As it is, it looks like an expensive player who's not good enough for the starting 11

Bruno has said he's wanted Hwang a few times
Yeah, he seems to really like him.

I quite like him, find it hard to overly judge him in a team that has struggled to create but then also question if he is part of that problem. He can play across a front three though and adds depth that Bruno wants

Hwang's pretty much exactly the kind of player you want on your bench for a team like us. Can play across the front three or as part of a front two, nothing fancy technically but makes up for it with workrate, will probably average ~5 goals per season, and relatively cheap.

The problem up front is we don't have anyone at the moment who looks like scoring regularly. Having a couple of Hwang-level players in your squad is fine, but you can't have an entire attacking lineup of them.

So is he still technically on loan until we execute the option in the summer?
And we've just confirmed the option will be executed

Yeah, i'm confused by the technicalities of this deal. Does it actually "free up a loan space" if he's still technically on loan until the summer?

I'd have personally waited to announce it until we could review how he gets on in the second half of the season. Is he even in our best 11 when Neto comes back? I understand it's a bit of a no-brainer because it's such a low transfer fee and he's not paid much compared to other squad members (based on the report that was posted on here recently), but I just don't get why we're rushing it through now.

Tim says he technically remains on loan until the summer, and we're not paying the fee until the summer.

So we're not freeing up a loan space from what I can tell, so it makes no sense from my perspective to be announcing this now.

I suspect we wont do any other business this window.

Yeah, i'm confused by the technicalities of this deal. Does it actually "free up a loan space" if he's still technically on loan until the summer?

I'd have personally waited to announce it until we could review how he gets on in the second half of the season. Is he even in our best 11 when Neto comes back? I understand it's a bit of a no-brainer because it's such a low transfer fee and he's not paid much compared to other squad members (based on the report that was posted on here recently), but I just don't get why we're rushing it through now.
Still on loan.

For me, my biggest moan has what has looked like not backing Bruno. Bruno likes Hwangs and wants him here permantley and we have backed him on this one. So just need to extend that backing a bit more and we are on the right path

I understand the concerns, but if we have paid under 12 million for him, in the current market, I don't think it's a bad deal. Bruno has seen something he likes and can work with.

Back