• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2022 Transfer Thread

Yeah Traore will be gone either this month or in the Summer, we aren't going to exercise an option of £25m for Trincao so it probably makes sense at £12m - We will probably get that back even if he fails.

I have to try to look for an alternative reason as otherwise it doesn't make sense. It's not freeing up a loan slot then perhaps the loan agreement was if we agreed to the purchase in Jan the price was lower than the Summer?

Moan when the club isn't transparent. Moan when the club presents news.

There is literally no winning

I have to try to look for an alternative reason as otherwise it doesn't make sense. It's not freeing up a loan slot then perhaps the loan agreement was if we agreed to the purchase in Jan the price was lower than the Summer?
A) A public signal they will back Bruno without having to back him that much
B) A birthday gift to Hwang (probably forgot so quickly made up a gift card "Happy Birthday. Congratulations you can live in Wolverhampton for 4 more years)
C) Nowt coming in, possible 1 going out so trying to show some business has been done (maybe Jez left his little book of Transfer Window PR behind)
D) All of the above.

Jeez, I knew Hwang had divided opinion but I didn't know just how marmite he was.

I think we could do a lot worse than him for the price; he's far and away the best finisher at the club currently and that counts for something.

I think it's clear though that he's not a winger in this league, doesn't have the touch for it. Let him play off of Silva or Jiminez in the way Podence has done recently, though, and I think we may be onto something. Trick will be how to play two central forwards and keep Podence in the side and effective.

I don't mind the signing, it just feels like we're doing it for social media content during January rather than any other reason.

That will be more obvious in a weeks' time when January business is done.

I wondered the same tbh.

July 1st: Wolves are delighted to confirm the permanent arrival of Hwang Hee-Chan! *South Korean flag* *Wolfs Head* *Fire emoji*

July 4th: Wolves have reached an agreement with Grasshoppers for the transfer of Hwang Hee Chan - we wish him all the best with his future career *Swiss flag* *Wave emoji*

I think we could do a lot worse than him for the price; he's far and away the best finisher at the club currently and that counts for something.

Err, no. That would be Jiminez. Even if Hwang was a better finisher (he is not) then he would never be "far and away" better than Jiminez who has scored consistently a variety of different goals whereas Hwang has a couple of half decent finishes and a tap in as evidence.

I am not fussed either way. £12 million for a back up forward in the Premier League is the going rate...we get what we pay for.

Waste of money for me. Find some of the justification for it bizarre too.

1) We won’t make our money back of he fails (see Patrick Cutrone for details). Who is going to buy him? An English club won’t be interested and mid/lower table foreign clubs don’t have any money. And if they do they don’t spend it on mediocre players in their late twenties.

2) He won’t be good back up as he’s not very good. I don’t want him starting football games now so I definitely won’t when we (hopefully) have more better players in the summer. I’m sure there’s a player out there who runs around bit who we could take a punt on in their teens/early 20s.

3) I don’t want to be signing backups full stop. We’re not actually that short in that part of the field. Sign someone good and make Podence the back up for example.

4) it’s not a good deal if he’s not any good. Palace signed Olise for less and he’s just turned 20. Eze was only £16m. I’m sure there’s other examples.

I hope he proves me wrong. But he could have done that before we committed anything to his purchase. So why have we gone and done it early…

I think we would probably get our money back, that we haven't in the past is probably on the club for constantly agreeing to loans or loaning players to clubs where they won't play. Players who can score always fetch a higher premium and Hwang is on 4 from 11 games from out wide and was also a gnats bollock offside decision from that being 5 goals. Teams in the bottom half regularly have top scorers at the end of the season on 7/8 goal mark. If he can knock a few in he will always have value.

I think we would probably get our money back, that we haven't in the past is probably on the club for constantly agreeing to loans or loaning players to clubs where they won't play. Players who can score always fetch a higher premium and Hwang is on 4 from 11 games from out wide and was also a gnats bollock offside decision from that being 5 goals. Teams in the bottom half regularly have top scorers at the end of the season on 7/8 goal mark. If he can knock a few in he will always have value.

Not enough evidence to say he’s a “goalscorer”for me. Huge slices of luck in at least 3 of them and even in the one that was disallowed (maybe he has the eye of the tiger!).

It would also be ignoring what we’ve seen with our own eyes, that he isn’t very good in general play. Whereas Chris Wood, Calum Wilson, Matheus Pereira, Ollie Watkins, Danny Ings, Wilfred Zaha all got double figures, and all of those players offer more than just goals.

But if Hwang is consistently scoring 8 goals a season then he will have proved me wrong, won’t have failed and we won’t be selling him.

I think he’s alright as a squad/bench option for where we are, and particularly for a squad of our size.

Liverpool’s bench at the weekend was Kelleher, Konate, Gomez, Minamino, Milner, Tsimikas, Gordon, Williams & Morton.

Hwang would comfortably get a place on there and would be one of the first players brought off it too.

It’s like I said a page or two ago. He’s a reasonably cheap option that has fitted in well with the existing squad. I don’t think he gets in our best 11, but I think I also read he has the best shot/goal conversion rate in the PL or something, and if there’s one thing we’re lacking, it’s goals. Hopefully he can come back well from his injury and continue to improve under Bruno.

I think he’s alright as a squad/bench option for where we are, and particularly for a squad of our size.

Liverpool’s bench at the weekend was Kelleher, Konate, Gomez, Minamino, Milner, Tsimikas, Gordon, Williams & Morton.

Hwang would comfortably get a place on there and would be one of the first players brought off it too.

It’s like I said a page or two ago. He’s a reasonably cheap option that has fitted in well with the existing squad. I don’t think he gets in our best 11, but I think I also read he has the best shot/goal conversion rate in the PL or something, and if there’s one thing we’re lacking, it’s goals. Hopefully he can come back well from his injury and continue to improve under Bruno.

He’s worse than Minamino and he doesn’t play! If Salah and Mane aren’t at AFCON then he wouldn’t make the squad. Liverpool also don’t hoard shite and regularly integrate youth.

It's too early for any one to say whether he'll do well or not. He had a little purple patch of goals where he linked well with Jimenez, then a lull where he didn't look any more than average.

I still think he's worth £12m and if Jimenez can find some form again they'll probably link up well again given the chance.

It'll be interesting to see how he plays with the likes of Neto and Silva.

Last edited:
Back